Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a lot of internet research on the Titan I have become very confused on just what you get when you have the factory leather seats. Nissan makes a point of always refering to "leather appointed captains seats". What does that mean exactly? Some sites say it is only the seating area, and that the sides and backs are vinyl. What about the back seats on the kingcab? Some places say they are vinyl, some say leather. Dealers always assure me that everything is leather, but I doubt they know or would say if vinyl was part of the mix. Ford definitley puts vinyl on their back seats and always calls their front seats "leather trimmed". I could never get a dealer to admit that their seats were not 100% leather. Maybe this is an industry standard these days. I bought my last truck in '91 and couldn't afford leather then.

I guess vinyl has gotten pretty good if you can't tell just by looking, but I'll bet my tush will be able to tell this summer if it's next to vinyl or leather.

I did a quick search in this forum to see if this topic had been discussed in the past, but didn't see anything pop up. If anybody could direct me to a previous thread, or has any details about the Titans leather seats I'd sure appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
35,717 Posts
Coug said:
After doing a lot of internet research on the Titan I have become very confused on just what you get when you have the factory leather seats. Nissan makes a point of always refering to "leather appointed captains seats". What does that mean exactly? Some sites say it is only the seating area, and that the sides and backs are vinyl. What about the back seats on the kingcab? Some places say they are vinyl, some say leather. Dealers always assure me that everything is leather, but I doubt they know or would say if vinyl was part of the mix. Ford definitley puts vinyl on their back seats and always calls their front seats "leather trimmed". I could never get a dealer to admit that their seats were not 100% leather. Maybe this is an industry standard these days. I bought my last truck in '91 and couldn't afford leather then.

I guess vinyl has gotten pretty good if you can't tell just by looking, but I'll bet my tush will be able to tell this summer if it's next to vinyl or leather.

I did a quick search in this forum to see if this topic had been discussed in the past, but didn't see anything pop up. If anybody could direct me to a previous thread, or has any details about the Titans leather seats I'd sure appreciate it.
I have an LE and the seats are leather. If they aren't, they did a damn good job faking it! :jester:

·
Registered
495 Posts
I went with a place where dealers use and they stick with dealers' standard. I can "smell" :jester: that the rear bench seat is not leather except the middle inserts (that because I asked for perferation on the middle inserts and they did call me back to complain that I wasn't supposed to get that). If I didn't ask for perferation, it probably would have been all vinyl. The front seats are all leather and of course, all the seat backs are all vinyl.

A magazine said the rear seats are matching vinyl and it's hard to tell and I tend to believe them.

Smelling it can easily tell.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
amati5 said:
I went with a place where dealers use and they stick with dealers' standard. I can "smell" :jester: that the rear bench seat is not leather except the middle inserts (that because I asked for perferation on the middle inserts and they did call me back to complain that I wasn't supposed to get that). If I didn't ask for perferation, it probably would have been all vinyl. The front seats are all leather and of course, all the seat backs are all vinyl.

A magazine said the rear seats are matching vinyl and it's hard to tell and I tend to believe them.

Smelling it can easily tell.

So wait a second does this mean that the stock rear seats are not leather??, or are your aftermarket seats not leather

thx

·
Registered
134 Posts
My future father-in-law's 03 silverado LT has leather capt., but vinyl in the rear. Unless you get the F-150 Harley or King Ranch addition which has four leather capt chairs...I am pretty sure the vinyl rear seat is common.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
that is weird we have a 04 rainier, that has leather on all the seats. do they only do this break down for trucks?? I will be putting a kid in the back so wouldnt leather be more advantageous than vinyl??

·
Banned
81 Posts
Usually automakers put leather only on the seating area, and make the sides and back vinyl. This saves a lot of money as it cuts the amount of leather needed to about half as much as would be needed if the entire thing were leather. The back seats I don't know about. For trucks I'm guessing it would be vinyl since it's not that much of an issue. If it were a Lexus or Benz then I would think the back seats would be full leather, but on a truck I'd say vinyl.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On the subject of leather; Has any had or seen aftermarket leather for the bech on the Titan? That is one thing I really liked about the F-250 and the Ram, you can get a full power, heated, leather front bench.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
munkeebinis said:
Usually automakers put leather only on the seating area, and make the sides and back vinyl. This saves a lot of money as it cuts the amount of leather needed to about half as much as would be needed if the entire thing were leather. The back seats I don't know about. For trucks I'm guessing it would be vinyl since it's not that much of an issue. If it were a Lexus or Benz then I would think the back seats would be full leather, but on a truck I'd say vinyl.

So are you saying even on the LE that the rear seats are not leather?/ but some vinyl construct. For 1,500 (which is what Nissan charges you as part of the package for captain leather) is kind of weak in my opinion

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Chuh,

"On the subject of leather; Has any had or seen aftermarket leather for the bech on the Titan? That is one thing I really liked about the F-250 and the Ram, you can get a full power, heated, leather front bench"

I have seen a leather kit on ebay just last night. $629.

Chris

·
Banned
81 Posts
I don't know if the back seat is leather or vinyl. What I do know is that the entire front seat is not leather because the back and sides do not need to be leather. Only the part you actually sit on and come in contact with are leather. The rest is made of vinyl to save money.

As for the back seats I don't know. Perhaps someone who owns the truck already can take a razor to the back seats and get back to us on weather it's leather or vinyl :coolsmile

·
Registered
211 Posts
The front seats are leather, the back seats are vinyl. Check the article at:

http://www.nctd.com/review-walk.cfm?ReviewID=1457

In the Interior Features section it says: "The leather upholstery in the LE models is sporty, attractive and quite pleasing; the rear seats in the LE are covered in matching vinyl that most people will assume is leather."

·
Registered
115 Posts
Colorado said:
The front seats are leather, the back seats are vinyl. Check the article at:

http://www.nctd.com/review-walk.cfm?ReviewID=1457

In the Interior Features section it says: "The leather upholstery in the LE models is sporty, attractive and quite pleasing; the rear seats in the LE are covered in matching vinyl that most people will assume is leather."
That sucks, especially for the price they charge for the upgrade. I'm not happy with that answer from Nissan. They should have mentioned that on the sticker. Sounds like false advertising to me.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Well it depends how Nissan markets it. I'm sure they have their wording down so that no one can sue them. The leather option, I think, states that it includes leather captains chairs, not full leather upholstery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts