Obviously you first need a set of 08+ steering wheel switches. They can be out of a Titan or Armada. This how-to thread will demonstrate how to use the horn power source to power the lights on your steering wheel. The horn power is full time, so the later half of this process will be to move your horn power to an ignition power source so the steering wheel switch lights are only on when the ignition switch is on; along with the horn. The following steps will reference photos attached to each post. Please do not reply until I have the steps completed.
- Disconnect the Battery for at least 5 mins before moving to the next step.
- Remove the airbag using the two retaining bolts that are under the oval cover caps on each back side of the steering wheel.
- Unplug the airbag by pulling the clip retainers straight out away from the back of the airbag. See 1st attachment.
- Unplug the grey plug for the steering switches and horn.
- Remove the steering wheel by removing the center nut. You may need a steering wheel puller. Also note the position of your steering wheel so you can reinstall it on center.
- Once the steering wheel is removed, remove the plastic cover from the back of it exposing the retaining screws for the switches.
- Swap the switches and reinstall steering wheel in reverse order.
- Bring the new grey plug into a workable area and position so you are looking at it similar to the 2nd attachment.
- Cut the two orange and two black wires from the back of the plug as shown in the 3rd attachment. These are the lighting power wires for each switch.
- Cut the green wire back away from the switch and strip all of them. Your result should resemble the 4th attachment.
- Though I don't have a good picture, you need to install a chassis ground. I used the left retaining screw on the horn switch. See 5th attachment.
92.5 KB Views: 413
73 KB Views: 276
68.9 KB Views: 257
81.8 KB Views: 265
85.6 KB Views: 332