Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good idea or write up on how to remove and replace a rack and pinion on a 2007 lifted 4x4. Im going to order my new rack tomorrow.. they want charge diff price and have diff core charges for each year, anyone know why if its the same part ? ? or do they just hope you will buy the more espensive one ? the 2 cheapested years are 2004 and 2008 to order.. 05 06 and 07 are the most... thanks, if nobody does a write up I guess Ill end up taking some pics... also any other ideas on what should be replaced while im down there ? gunna do shocks most likely..

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
Good luck man!! I remember working on mine, the linkage to the steering wheel was kinda a b!tch. the three? bolts that hold it to the frame aren't too bad if you have an impact. honestly the worst part is layin on the floor and working on it, other than that I dont remember it being that hard.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Does anyone have a good idea or write up on how to remove and replace a rack and pinion on a 2007 lifted 4x4. Im going to order my new rack tomorrow.. they want charge diff price and have diff core charges for each year, anyone know why if its the same part ? ? or do they just hope you will buy the more espensive one ? the 2 cheapested years are 2004 and 2008 to order.. 05 06 and 07 are the most... thanks, if nobody does a write up I guess Ill end up taking some pics... also any other ideas on what should be replaced while im down there ? gunna do shocks most likely..
Just changed mine out twice, not hard just make sure you spray PB blaster on all the bolts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds good... remember what all needs to be takin off and pushed out of the way too get to it ? or can I get it off after I take the skid plate off ?

·
Registered
452 Posts
sounds good... remember what all needs to be takin off and pushed out of the way too get to it ? or can I get it off after I take the skid plate off ?
Its going to be alot harder for you since your 4x4, but you should be able to get if off by taking the skid plate and sway bar off and you might be able to squeeze it out without dropping the front diff, not sure though, dont have one lol

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Ill check it out.. still havent had time to work on it...

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
split in half...

·
Registered
452 Posts
split in half...
If you didnt grind down your steering stops on your spindles, thats probably what caused the problem cuz im pretty sure thats what caused mine, it puts a lot of stress on the rack if they are not ground down

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had 4wheel parts do the job, they added some sort of angled stops attatched where the sway bar attatches.. maybe I should get rid of them or grind them down ?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had 4wheel parts do the job, they added some sort of angled stops attatched where the sway bar attatches.. maybe I should get rid of them or grind them down ?
Ya those are the steering stops that come with the kit, but you have to grind down the part of the spindle that would touch that part, it sticks out about an inch or two from the spindle.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can you take a picture of yours for me ?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you didnt grind down your steering stops on your spindles, thats probably what caused the problem cuz im pretty sure thats what caused mine, it puts a lot of stress on the rack if they are not ground down
I would love to hear the logic behind this statement.?.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would love to hear the logic behind this statement.?.
I talked to Greg at PRG and he said thats probably what it was. The spindles that come with the Fabtech and Pro Comp kits have steering stops that stick out too far and hit the stops on the LCA cuz the rack wants to turn farther but is stoped and it pushes really hard on the metal and bends it which puts stress on the inside components of the rack

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I talked to Greg at PRG and he said thats probably what it was. The spindles that come with the Fabtech and Pro Comp kits have steering stops that stick out too far and hit the stops on the LCA cuz the rack wants to turn farther but is stoped and it pushes really hard on the metal and bends it which puts stress on the inside components of the rack
Wow...I actually heard the complete opposite from him a couple of years ago (i.e. rack trying to extend further than capable creating undo stress on rack and possibly leading to premature failure).

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
someone else know which one of these statments is true ?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
the steering stops on the kit is so you don't do a full turns and eventually, possibly, ruin your rack. yes you can grind it down for a better turn ratio per greg, but don't take FULL advantage of that other wise you are adding to much stress on the rack. you should never do full turns with a lift and bigger tires.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah after spliting my rack I will drive a lot calmer, no more u-turns, instead I will sit at the light and wait for the arrow... no promise on being patient though.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
yea bro, don't do any HARD u-turns. baby that crap.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
will deff keep it in mind not to do u turns from now on...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts