Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
A lighter? Come on man, you'll burn clear coat and probably more. A heat gun/blow dryer and some fishing line is what I've heard works well!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Heatgun dental floss and WD 40 to remove the glue

·
Registered
249 Posts
Heat gun, fishing line and goo-gone. It works, we did it to my buddies WRX and IS300. I thought that the Titans emblems were the ones that hads the prongs on the back. If I could debadge the entire truck, that would be great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. I just used dental floss and no heat but that leaves all of the tape on there. I used my pressure washer to blast the tape off and then goo gone. Heat would have been better but my wife wouldn't let me use her hair dryer because I broke the last one :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are the badges on te door the prong type, or were they the taped on kind? If what is the tape, I'll debadge the whole truck. Nice clean look.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Use a hammer, chisel, bond-o, primer then paint....works like a charm

·
Registered
603 Posts
Badges on doors are 2 side taped on, haven't got to the tailgate ones, but i'd have to assume they are the same minus the( hamburger- Nissan) ones, those are prong.

But yes Dental Floss/Fishing Line/WD-40, Goo Gone, Oops, Heat Gun/Blow drying all work, choose one and be done with it :)

·
Banned
162 Posts
i used a credit card and just slid it behind the badge and made a saw motion till it came off, then picked off the tape wit my fingers, then used WD-40 to remove anything left.. buff out scratches left by tape/credit card and there u go :) btw they look bad *** wit out badges

and is it possible to take off the door trim at the bottom of the door or is it tabbed into the sheet metal?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did mine in the summer and just parked the side I was working on in the sun over a few weekends. It was fairly hot, mid 90 and it’s a black truck so I didn’t need a heat gun. I did do one emblem using a heat gun at a friends house and it didn’t really seem to help that much. I’m also a little leery about using a heat gun. Real easy to screw something up.

Anyway I think I tired a different method on each emblem so this what I learned.

Heat gun: didn’t like it, felt like I had to get the truck way to hot for it to really help and was worried about blistering the paint.

Credit card: worked terrible! Put a lot of very fine scratched working it behind the emblem. If you do chose this method don’t saw, rock , move , whatever the card back and forth. It will leave little scratches.

Fishing line: ? Didn’t try it.

Prying the emblems of with a screw driver: Works pretty good but you need to do the following. Put blue masking tape all around the emblem. Then you get a very flat block of wood (maybe hard rubber would work but good luck finding a flat block of hard rubber). Don’t let the block touch the paint, only where you put the blue tape. Trust me even a bock of soft pine will put little scratches in the paint if you don’t use the blue tape. The block will distribute the load and not dent the body. Then only pry a little at the time. You need to keep the emblem flat to the truck or a corner of the emblem will dig into the paint.

Ok once you master the above popping the emblems off will be a breeze. Now the hard part getting the goo off.

WD40 is not bad but I finally started using something a little stronger. Paint thinner on a rag and I’m happy to say it did not damage my paint even after vigorous rubbing. There is no shortcut for this process. Use only your finger, finger nail and a rag, that’s it! Anything more will scratch the paint. Plan to spend at least a ½ to one hour rubbing that crap of the truck at each emblem.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Energizer said:
wow... the process I had done was MUCH safer than using paint thinner and screw drivers... wow.
Like I said. The heat gun didn’t seem to help much when I tried it. Maybe I didn’t get the it hot enough but I swear I could’ve fried an egg on my truck and the glue will still holding fast.

I would be interested in seeing this paint eraser you used. Are you talking about something like this? http://www.****blick.com/zz601/12/ the god damn filter is screwing up my link! the **** = d i c k

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
a six pack and a hammer can get anything done.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
lowlypawn said:
Like I said. The heat gun didn’t seem to help much when I tried it. Maybe I didn’t get the it hot enough but I swear I could’ve fried an egg on my truck and the glue will still holding fast.

I would be interested in seeing this paint eraser you used. Are you talking about something like this? http://www.****blick.com/zz601/12/ the god damn filter is screwing up my link! the **** = d i c k
my paint is dry, yours?
"Loew-Cornell's Paint Eraser is an artist's best friend for manipulating or removing wet paint smoothly and quickly without affecting the underlying layer."

this is similar to what was used. I didn't do it, but I observed.
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-11632-14334.aspx
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-11631-14333.aspx

Heat gun worked like a charm...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts