Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice to have an AC power outlet at the back of my bed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I should have just got all these options when I bought the truck, oh well. Next time, 10 years from now!!

I know I need a DC to AC inverter, but what ratings?

I can just run my power from the battery, to the inverter, then from the inverter to a receptacle wherever I install it at the back of the bed, correct?

I've never done anything like this before, not with stereo's or anything like that. I have a general idea of how to do it, but any guidance would be helpful.

Any thoughts on what this might cost?

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Well, unless you're planning on installing some backup batteries, this is a mod that's gonna leave you stranded in the outback one day...... I've seen conversion kits online and at places like Cabela's and some camper supply places. Never really looked into it as I don't really have this need. One member here did an installation and mounted a fridge on a sliding platform in the bed of his truck. Maybe I can spook around a little to see what I can find......

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
You are going to spend ALOT of money doing it. I have 2 Honda 2000 gens. that will power almost anything I need and they are perfectly quiet. You can carry on a conversation right next to them. And you can put them together for a TOTAL OF 4000 WATTS. They cost $1000 each and what you want to do will cost you close to the same.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
I also have a 1500 watt inverter that I paid almost $500 for and I planned on doing what you are trying to do. It is just sitting in the garage. Like BB said unless you run your engine while using a high power inverter you will get yourself stranded.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really wanting to give up bedspace for a generator.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Umm, posted after you guys posted the info. Looks like a no-go on this project.

Thanks for raining on my parade!!! LOL

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Those are some great links BB. But it looks like alot of hard work that doesnt need to be done. I just run the gen. in the bed while going down the road. Or you could just put a power strip in the cab of the truck with a 1800 watt line going into the floor of the truck and out to the gen in the back. This way you can use the Gen for many more things than just your truck.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
54warrior said:
Not really wanting to give up bedspace for a generator.
That was a large gen. in that pic 54. The gen. I was talking about is about 16 inches tall x 2foot long and 16 in. wide.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Don't need it. Just the inverter. Some of them fit right under a seat inside the cab. Check them out. Not that big. Heli is just saying that he has 2 generators. Why anyone would care, I have no idea. :lol: Be that as it may.... I believe he was comparing the cost of generators to the vehicle inverter systems in which you are interested.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Helinut1970 said:
That was a large gen. in that pic 54. The gen. I was talking about is about 16 inches tall x 2foot long and 16 in. wide.
Dat's a fridge, Pookie....... Not a generator......

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
Dat's a fridge, Pookie....... Not a generator......
:rofl: Oh! Duuuuuuu

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What do you hope to plug in? That determines everything, including feasibility. I got a 175W inverter for $20, that will run all kinds of electronics. If you want near the level of power that an outlet in your house has (in case you wanted to run an iron, or a blow dryer or something) You need more like 1800W.

First figure out what you want to do with it, all Plug-In things must have the power consumption on them someplace, so start with that.
Electrically, what you are trying to do is very trivial. The inverter will cost the big bucks, everything else will be < $40.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Actually, not as bad as I thought, Vector VEC054C on Amazon for $180.
That is 2000W.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
First figure out what you want to do with it, all Plug-In things must have the power consumption on them someplace, so start with that.
Volts X amps = Watts!!!

grnTitan04 said:
Actually, not as bad as I thought, Vector VEC054C on Amazon for $180.
That is 2000W.
Keep in mind that IS NOT sin wave Electric. Basicly just a cheap version of electricity. You can not run Computers and sensitive electronic stuff on that type of inverter.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Volts x amps = Whats? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Heli brings up 2 interesting points that I glazed over:

1. A 2000W inverter is going to want 167A from your battery at full load, which is not going to happen (or not for very long anyway) even with the truck running

2. Inverter power kinda $ucks, so not everything will run from it - but the quality of the power is related to the coin you put into it - you CAN get inverters that have nice looking output waves (not worth it - trust me)

Which brings me back to the first point - What Are you trying to run?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Northern tools is once again selling true sine wave invertors. Pricey. At work, I have 2 of the 1800 Watt ProSine Invertors, paid 1,000 then, now about 1,400. You gotta love invertors to buy them things. Right tool for the right job, wrong tool for most of use.

I have a 1200 Watt Vector ($130 from Pep Boys), it'll be enough to run something for a minute or two (I dont have many cordless tools), but that is all.

I haven't seen small True Sine Wave units, only 1,000 Watts and up. Sold heavily to Solar energy user running off batteries in their basements.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, you guys have really opened my eyes. I didn't really know for sure what exactly I'd be running off of it, some power tools perhaps, drill, circular saw, etc...

I just figured if it wasn't going to cost a small fortune, that it'd be something nice to have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts