Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Escutcheon Installation for your Titan

First off I want to give credit where credit is due. I'm a moderator over at InfinitiFX.Org, and this mod was something that a member there came up with and wrote a How-To about it. The reason this mod came into existence was because there was a period of time where many Infiniti FX's were being broken into by shady thieves using a simple technique that exploited a particularly weak design by Nissan; the culprits were popping off the driver's door Escutcheon (the one with the keyhole exposed), and then taking a flathead screwdriver and popping out the key insert assembly. Once that happens, the driver's door automatically unlocks. Also, there was a theory that someone could also jam a screwdriver into the key insert and turn, thereby rolling down the windows. So this mod was created in order to "deter" someone from messing with the driver's door lock. While I have no proof that the Titan suffers from this same poor design, I still think replacing the keyhole escutcheon with a blank Escutcheon not only makes the Titan look cleaner, it also may deter anyone from messing with your door lock. I just completed this mod on my Titan because my driver's door Escutcheon was already broken.

With that said, this is a very easy install that takes about 15 minutes. When you are done, your driver's door handle will look just like the other remaining door handles -- no key hole.

What you will need:

- TORX 30 bit along with screwdriver
- Small flat head screwdriver
- Rear Door Escutcheon (see below)

Instructions:

** These photos are from the Infiniti modification, but the Titan parts are nearly identical **

(1) Order the new rear door Escutcheon (I got mine from mynismo.com). Nissan part # 80646-ZC00A for Chrome -- Performance Nissan of Duarte aka MYNISMO.COM

(2) What arrives is a nice little package with a blank Escutcheon. It's basically a plastic chrome looking piece along with the solid metal backing. We will only used the plastic chrome looking piece.

(3) Use the small flat head screwdriver to pry the plastic/chrome Escutcheon cover off of the solid metal backing. Be careful while doing this, because you can easily break one of the plastic tabs.

(4) With the solid metal backing removed, the Escutcheon still needs slight modification to fit correctly over the driver's door lock mechanism. Take a pair of pliers and remove all of the raised edges on the inside back of the plastic/chrome Escutcheon piece.

(5) Use the small flat head screwdriver and insert it as shown in the picture and bend back to expose the side of the black plastic cap. You should be able to grab the sides and pull it out. It slides out with very little pressure, so don't bend or twist the screw driver too much.

(6) Once you remove the plastic plug on the inside of the door jam, it will expose a TORX 30 screw.

(7) Use the TORX 30 bit to unscrew the screw (you can use an hex key if you don't have TORX bits). It won't fall out, so don't worry if you unscrew it too much. After about five or six turns of the screwdriver, the existing Escutcheon will loosen up. You should be able to wedge it out. The side marked as [1] will slide out first, then the side marked as [2] will slide out after. You might have to wiggle it around a bit in order to get it to move, and perhaps use another screwdriver inserted into the round hole to push from the behind.

(8) Once you are able to see the sides of the Escutcheon, you will need to remove the existing plastic chrome piece by prying off the tabs. You can use the same small flat head screw driver to do this. It does not take much force, so be careful.

(9) Next snap on the new Escutcheon. The right side with the two prongs hooks in first, then the left side snaps in.

(10) Now slide the Escutcheon back into the door handle and line it up correctly. I recommend that you slide it up as far as possible as when you screw it in, it has a tendency to slide down a bit (i.e.. not lined up with the actual door handle any longer).

(11) Tighten the screw, then place the plastic plug back in the hole.

(12) You will be left with two pieces, the actual metal components that came with the new Escutcheon, plus the old plastic chrome looking piece.

You're all done. The big thing to remember now is that you don't have a keyhole to unlock your Titan, so make sure your keyfob battery is fresh. In the event that your keyfob doesn't work, you might have to take a flathead screwdriver and break that nice new Escutcheon off.

-

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
great write up. since i never use the key, when i bedlinered my door handles i did the key hole too. it blends rite in.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Very cool mod! Thank's!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
One has the key hole (left) and one don't have the key hole (usually on the right)
He is talking about replacing the driverside with another escutcheon from the rear doors. I would assume they (the rear doors) ought to be the same part. However, that is apparently not so in the illistration; price difference.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
the one listed for 12.41 is for left front (driver's door with key hole)
the one listed for 7.22 is usually for all other doors that don't have key holes, he simply put that one on the driver's door also
to cover up the key hole.

I think that illustration is mislabeled. Piece label 7 is actually inside the cab behind the handle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My apologies for my ignorance....there are 2 different escutcheon's listed from your link; which on is the correct one?
Sorry for the confusion. I shouldn't have listed the link to the parts page, because that was confusing with the two different parts. I edited the link now.

The part you need for this mod (the rear door Escutcheon without the keyhole) is part #80646-ZC00A. See picture 1 below.

The part you are replacing (the driver's door Escutcheon with the keyhole) is part #80647-ZC00A. Notice there is one number different between the two. See picture 2 below.

Final product in picture 3.

Attachments

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
great write up Steve

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
the culprits were popping off the driver's door Escutcheon (the one with the keyhole exposed), and then taking a flathead screwdriver and popping out the key insert assembly. Once that happens, the driver's door automatically unlocks. Also, there was a theory that someone could also jam a screwdriver into the key insert and turn, thereby rolling down the windows.
Instead of just covering the keyhole, why not disable the lock while its apart to prevent a smart thief from popping off the cover and trying this...?

Of course, they could just slip a wire under the window and push the unlock button... or flip the lock. or pop the glass...

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
It's just a detourant man... If someone really want's to break in, ain't nothing going to stop them...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Instead of just covering the keyhole, why not disable the lock while its apart to prevent a smart thief from popping off the cover and trying this...?
Because the point is to simply deter some dumb criminal (aren't they all?) from jamming a screwdriver into my door lock. And this mod is completely reversible, if you were ever to want to go back to original. But you can screw with the door lock and tell us how it turns out.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I did this a long time back with my chevy truck (89-98) gen....I just removed the lock though and filled the hole with a penny...LOL..

had break ins on mine and my dads truck that same way...screw driver and pry action...damnn i hate theives...

good write up OP, thanks for sharing..

-J

·
Registered
543 Posts
So what happen when ur battory dies how can u open the doors?
taken from first post:

You're all done. The big thing to remember now is that you don't have a keyhole to unlock your Titan, so make sure your keyfob battery is fresh. In the event that your keyfob doesn't work, you might have to take a flathead screwdriver and break that nice new Escutcheon off.
-
I plan to just hang on to the old one......or buy a spare blank one since they are cheap...
-J

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Just change the battery once/yr & you'll be fine... I've had my T for over 3yrs. now & the battery has never gone dead. Which reminds me, i should buy a new one soon.

·
Premium Member
15,766 Posts
i hope you guys with this mod never accidentally set off the built in alarm. the only way to turn it off is to put the key in the drivers door and unlock it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts