Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my avic d3 today. I searched many places on an exact location to tap into the vss wire on the titan. All i found was that you had to get behind the instrument panel to get to the white/red wire.

here i found a great and easy place to tap into it. The harness that is plugged into the faceplate of the stereo actually plugs into another harness if you follow it down. There it was, the white/red wire. Its actually in the set of wires that plug into the faceplate harness. Tested and worked!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm looking to do the by pass on my VSS wire where did you find it? I know I can get to it behinde the DVD (for Nav). Is the place you found it a little more accessable than that. And if you have pics that would be great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What is a vss wire???.I installed a dvd,gps,unit as well and was wondering am i suppose to tap into this wire as well?I am having problems with the screen in dvd format to come on with my headlights on.Everything else is fine with lights on/off.Where is the wire??

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
PJLAVELL said:
What is a vss wire???.I installed a dvd,gps,unit as well and was wondering am i suppose to tap into this wire as well?I am having problems with the screen in dvd format to come on with my headlights on.Everything else is fine with lights on/off.Where is the wire??
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
In addition to the standard power and ground leads, remote-mount navigation (and even some in-dash units) systems connect to a vehicle's Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) wire. Your vehicle's cruise control uses the VSS wire to determine the vehicle's speed — it serves the same function for the navigation system. (Don't substitute the tachometer signal wire for the VSS wire — the tach signal wire sends pulses as long as the engine is running, even when the car is sitting still.) The VSS wire sends a series of pulses (from 800 to just over 1,000 per mile) only when the vehicle is in motion. If the VSS wire is not hooked up, the navigation system will not realize that the car is moving at all, and will be unable to track position.

That is a copy from crutchfield. What DVD player did you install, and did it attach to the DVD player at all?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I installed a single din Eonon.It comes from japan but what don't.I have gps all hooked up and it works great.We were in the sticks and it has 0 problems.The mph works fine in that format also.This unit has everything,dvd,gps,i-pod,mp3,sd card,bluetooth,the works.I apparently tapped the vss wire correctly but everytime i turn my headlights on in dvd format the screen blanks out.I still have volume and all the other screens in my truck have a picture.That has befuddled me big time because non of the other formats have a problem with the headlights on
Man i don't want to step on vilinz thread but all help is appreciated

·
Registered
543 Posts
VilinZ1, or anyone who knows???

okay guys, how far back is the VSS wire harness that has the RED AND WHITE? do i need to remove the surrounding dash, the part with the ac vents to reach it?

-J

·
Registered
67 Posts
If the screen blacks out when you turn on your headlights check your illumination wire, you don't need to hook it up. Also make sure your parking brake wire is either installed at the parking brake light or it's grounded installed on a switch, etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
In addition to the standard power and ground leads, remote-mount navigation (and even some in-dash units) systems connect to a vehicle's Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) wire. Your vehicle's cruise control uses the VSS wire to determine the vehicle's speed — it serves the same function for the navigation system. (Don't substitute the tachometer signal wire for the VSS wire — the tach signal wire sends pulses as long as the engine is running, even when the car is sitting still.) The VSS wire sends a series of pulses (from 800 to just over 1,000 per mile) only when the vehicle is in motion. If the VSS wire is not hooked up, the navigation system will not realize that the car is moving at all, and will be unable to track position.

That is a copy from crutchfield. What DVD player did you install, and did it attach to the DVD player at all?
That entire paragraph is false. The VSS wire simply tracks speed when you lose contact with the GPS satellite. You never need to connect it because even when it is connected if the unit loses connection with the satellite it gives an error and won't track you. Give it a try unplug your antenna and see what happens. It is often a way to eliminate your ability to bypass the parking brake feature as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah this post is probably going to confuse a lot of beginners. the vss wire do not need to be tapped into. my dnx5120 works just fine without it. it reads my speed, location, posted speed limits, ect perfectly.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Okay, I ran through the factory service manual File " AV.pdf "

For reference, the FSM can be downloaded here:
Index of /FSM/titan
or
Nissan Service Manuals

In the FSM file AV.pdf I found that it list the radio options depending on trim level Titan as:

BASE AUDIO - single disc oem radio
MID AUDIO - 6 disc oem radio <--- I have this, so the following references are taken for this trim!
PREMIUM WITHOUT NAV - Rockford Fosgate
PREMIUM WITH NAV - Rockford Fosgate

I have a 2010 Titan with the "mid-audio" option - 6 disc. This is my Dash:

If you look at the back of the 6 disc radio, there are 3 white connectors that you must remove. Two of them will get reused with whatever after market radio harness you purchase.

Back of radio:

The 3rd unused connector is the top right of this pic.

I purchased a radio harness from CAR TOYS, but autozone even carries it.
Now, if you take the time to review file GI.pdf (General Information) - the M167 connector that houses the VSS wire at wire location 73 is viewed from the Harness side (H.S. ):

The 3rd unused harness contains the VSS wire!!!

Now, this is for the Mid audio system - ie, 6 disc unit...but do the same for any others and your golden.

My name is Jasontamu and I approve this message...

-J

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just got off the phone with Nissan, the sole purpose of the VSS wire on stock stereo's is the SSV function (Speed sense volume) that either increases or decreases the volume in conjunction with the speed that the vehicle is traveling, has nothing to do with gps tracking or anything else(on stock systems)

·
Registered
543 Posts
^Yea of course..........so as your moving down the road, its pulling signal and the pioneer AVIC-D3 is happy...

so its a prefectly acceptable place to tap for the nav headunit...

-J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got off the phone with Nissan, the sole purpose of the VSS wire on stock stereo's is the SSV function (Speed sense volume) that either increases or decreases the volume in conjunction with the speed that the vehicle is traveling, has nothing to do with gps tracking or anything else(on stock systems)
Dude, I know this is Old but I just had to say Good Job with having some Brains...I'm serious. Reading all these FIRM statements that VSS is this and that and all it is, is a Volume controller which has 4 settings in the head unit.

And to hear how Navigation works, well in their trucks, that to think GPS would have a way or even be capable to communicate with Truck and send back to those Sats in the Sky....LOL....I needed a Good Laugh..

.Nav is as simple as the Sat follows the GPS and that's all...It is able to follow, lead you and now exact speed you are going etc, All in real Atomic Clock Time.
To know that a Sat can snap a pic of your Tag on the Truck would lead me to believe it can handle a Bigger Object like the truck,
People who have today's newer NAV units have a hard time understanding that all Nav units worked off of a DVD/CD system, and there were no Hard Drive like Now.
Tho I'm not sure if Nissan Navs went to HD Navs or still on Disc Navs....Anyway...Thanks for showing me there are still some of use who search and state our facts and not just guess at them or make those Facts up.....Good Driving

1 - 15 of 15 Posts