Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here's how I do it:

1. Turn ignition to "on"...count in my head, one thousand one, two...three.

2. Throttle pedal 5 times hard and fairly fast....THEN I start the 7 second count with a stopwatch beginning as soon as the pedal is fully released the 5th time.

3. At 7 seconds, push the pedal fully and hold until the stopwatch hits about 17 secs (total), the SES light should start flashing.

4. Release pedal as soon as you get the SES (17 sec) and then wait until the stopwatch hits about 27 sec (total) then push it to the floor again and hold until the stopwatch hits about 37 sec (total), (I hold until 40 for good measure), then release pedal and turn off ignition. Done!

If you don't get a flashing SES at step #3, then start over.

I've done this whole procedure a couple times just counting in my head, but you'll have better success using a watch.

Reactions: gizmo5

·
Banned
133 Posts
I tried and tried and just couldn't get it to work. I have never had any success with it on my Spec V either. Pisses me off but my timing has got to be off somewhere.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can't get this to work either....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Maybe it was a fluke, it finally worked. I wonder if it really reset....

·
Banned
133 Posts
Got it to work. For all you guys that can't get it after pumping the pedal 5 times wait 10 seconds instead of 7. Worked the first time I tried waiting 10 seconds. Thanks Whistler :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is it normal for the Sevice Engine light to flash when the directions say to rev the engine a few times? It is only on at a high rpm and comes on for less than a second and turns off til the engine revs agian. After 10min though when I revved the engine, it didn't come on. I'm worried my timing is off now or something. Although the light doesn't come on anymore

·
Registered
357 Posts
The truck isn't supposed to be running when you do this. The ignition should be in the "ON" position. This is when the engine isn't running but you have power to your instrumentation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
rtapia said:
The truck isn't supposed to be running when you do this. The ignition should be in the "ON" position. This is when the engine isn't running but you have power to your instrumentation.
I did the following:

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)

It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures

1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

Now look at step 10.. says to start engine and I waited then on step 12 when I reved it the check engine light would flash when I reved it. Then after about 5minutes it didn't do it when I reved.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did it today. Seems to have a little more pep in the low end...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Last week I installed the Banks Monster and a few days ago had the SES light come on. I did the ECU Reset and the light went out. Hopefully this will correct the problem. Thanks for the info! ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Help!! I ran through the ECU reset a couple of times and the SES never started blinking...did it still reset?

:bandit:

·
Registered
584 Posts
phillipyang said:
Here's a word document for anyone who wants a nice formatted procedure list.

Thanks all for the doc. I'll be doing this tonight. When you guys say "on" on you refering to the first position or the position right before cranking the engin up?

·
Registered
584 Posts
titan3spot said:
Help!! I ran through the ECU reset a couple of times and the SES never started blinking...did it still reset?

:bandit:
Probably not. The ECU will learn on it's own in a few weeks even if you do nothing. You could also disco the Negative Battery cable for a few hours. The decriptions here are a "quick" fix to resetting it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is the CES light supposed to be blinking and then stay on in step eight of the Idle air reset? When I do it, the CES light is on and then it starts to blink. When reving the engine, right after, the CES comes on for a split sec. periodicaly whenever I hit the pedal. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey i have a 2005 nissan titan xe 2x4 i wanted to see if any one knew about how to by pass the computer from shuttin it off at a 115mph with out buyin anything some one said there a wire in the wireing harness you can cut but i dont know so i need help plzzz if any one know anything thanx ps brian spring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did ECU Re-Set three times. First time gas mileage dropped. Figured it was not done correct, it's a little tricky. Second re-set minor improvement with gas mileage, no improvement in performance or quick start. Just to verify re-set done correctly did it a third time. Seems I got it right this time, mileage improved, has good power, starts quick [though it always has]. A bonus is the engine is very smoooth. Note: All minor exhaust resonace - drone completely gone. It used to have a minor vibration - drone at about 1,350 to 1,600 rom's - it's completely gone now. Another bonus, maybe this is one of normal outcome expected in the re-set - the transmission is very smooth, especially in cruise control, shifts quick, E-Z up or down hill. It used to bog a little going uphill, waiitng too long to increase rpm's, now it immediately boosts rpm's by even just a few 100's.
CONCLUSION: If you have after market exhaust with DRONE, But, have NOT installed exhaust grounding straps and you have not done the ECU Re-Set then do yourself a favor. Do both!
You just might be very pleased with the result. BTW, if you install the EGS be sure to have at least 4 - exhaust to frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
AquaDios said:
Did ECU Re-Set three times. First time gas mileage dropped. Figured it was not done correct, it's a little tricky. Second re-set minor improvement with gas mileage, no improvement in performance or quick start. Just to verify re-set done correctly did it a third time. Seems I got it right this time, mileage improved, has good power, starts quick [though it always has]. A bonus is the engine is very smoooth. Note: All minor exhaust resonace - drone completely gone. It used to have a minor vibration - drone at about 1,350 to 1,600 rom's - it's completely gone now. Another bonus, maybe this is one of normal outcome expected in the re-set - the transmission is very smooth, especially in cruise control, shifts quick, E-Z up or down hill. It used to bog a little going uphill, waiitng too long to increase rpm's, now it immediately boosts rpm's by even just a few 100's.
CONCLUSION: If you have after market exhaust with DRONE, But, have NOT installed exhaust grounding straps and you have not done the ECU Re-Set then do yourself a favor. Do both!
You just might be very pleased with the result. BTW, if you install the EGS be sure to have at least 4 - exhaust to frame.
Would you mind explaining what an exhaust grounding strap is? Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
ECU Reset - exhaust gorunding straps

Reply to "What are Exhaust Grounding Straps" see jpg's, worth a 1000 words.
One end of the Exhaust Grounding Straps are bolted to a "U" clamp on the exhaust and the other is bolted to the frame for a good grund.

I did some research and found a few sites stating HP and MPG gains with Proper Exhaust Grounding Straps. I had severe low rpm vibrations since fabricating and installing a Cat Back with Flowmaster muffler. The first remedy was to align the entire exhaust system being sure there was no bind in the system. The next step was the EGS. These two steps eliminated about 70 % of the vibration - resonance and drone. The third step, ECU reset has about 95 % of the problem eliminated.

I noticed no difference in performance or MPG with the EGS. Also, I bought good quality grounding straps at Napa rather than order the kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: ECU Reset - exhaust gorunding straps

AquaDios said:
Reply to "What are Exhaust Grounding Straps" see jpg's, worth a 1000 words.
One end of the Exhaust Grounding Straps are bolted to a "U" clamp on the exhaust and the other is bolted to the frame for a good grund.

I did some research and found a few sites stating HP and MPG gains with Proper Exhaust Grounding Straps. I had severe low rpm vibrations since fabricating and installing a Cat Back with Flowmaster muffler. The first remedy was to align the entire exhaust system being sure there was no bind in the system. The next step was the EGS. These two steps eliminated about 70 % of the vibration - resonance and drone. The third step, ECU reset has about 95 % of the problem eliminated.

I noticed no difference in performance or MPG with the EGS. Also, I bought good quality grounding straps at Napa rather than order the kit.
Thanks for the education!

21 - 40 of 158 Posts