Nissan Titan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
I thought you guys were making this up as I have tried 4 times and have not been able to do this.

Finally I decided to borrow a co-workers stop watch and gave the "long method" a go. First attempt CEL did not blink... 2nd attempt CEL blinked! Turned to off position then back on and CEL disappeared like it is suppose to. I will report back on how my milage went.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I installed an AEM Brute Force Intake two weeks ago and did not reset my ECU. The engine seemed to have a torque flat spot at 2,200 RPM. I found this post and performed the ECU and Throttle position reset last night (all I had time for). Let me tell you, when I pulled on to the freeway on-ramp to go to work this morning and gave it the boot, NO MORE FLAT SPOT!! The engine seemed to be running smoother as well. Thanks for all the great info...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just to get this straight, when you are supposed to fully depress the gas pedal, you truck isn't actaully running right? I think I caught on to that but just to make sure and stuff...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
soonertitan said:
Just to get this straight, when you are supposed to fully depress the gas pedal, you truck isn't actaully running right? I think I caught on to that but just to make sure and stuff...
Correct, only the power is on, not the engine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok I just got the volant havent installed it yet so do i have to do everything rocky mountain stated or just the ECU and Throttle position reset? im planning on adding exhaust but not any time soon. also which do i do first?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just put on a Magnaflow catback, single in dual out. Should I do a ECU reset or does it matter? Have not got to run it yet to see how it performs on the highway..

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
TitanToy said:
Just put on a Magnaflow catback, single in dual out. Should I do a ECU reset or does it matter? Have not got to run it yet to see how it performs on the highway..
First, welcome to TT!!

Yes, you should perform the ECU reset, although it's probably not necessary.
The truck will learn new parameters over time, but for immediate 'gains', try the ECU reset.

Also, get a CAI, if you can, or mod the stock airbox, and add a drop-in filter for now.

Good luck, and welcome to TT!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
buildthis said:
Is this ECU resetting process on a 2006 CC LE? I have tried repetedly to reset the ecu w/ no luck.

Any tips please?

It should be the same. I haven't heard or read, of any change.

What makes you think it's not working? Have you added a performance part, or are you trying to reset due to driving purposes?

I've done it several times and timing is critical.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
RockyMtnTitan said:
It's just a faster, for sure method of resetting the ecu. There has been much discussion about how long it takes to clear the ram with the battery disconnected....2 hrs, 12, 24....there's no way to know for sure with that method. This way takes away the guess work.
According to the Nissan Service Manual, the RAM for the ECU will be cleared, if the battery is disconnected for up to 24 hours. This is Just FYI.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hello villiage idiot,

Welcome to Titan Talk!!:jester:

You reset the ECU if you have added a mod to your vehicle (IE. Exhaust, Intake, ETC.) by changing something on your engine you change the parameters the ECU was using, it will learn the new parameters, but it learns it quicker if you reset the ECU.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Does anyone know if these directions work on the 08 models?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
anmut said:
Does anyone know if these directions work on the 08 models?
Give it a try, if the SES light blinks it worked, if not it will not hurt anything.
The ECU reset and how to check SES codes are the same procedure.

How To: In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.
2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.
5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.

Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying SES light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I installed my Flowmaster 70 Series cat back and AEM CAI a little over a month ago then saw this thread. I figured I'd give it a shot and after going through the "easy instructions", I immediately noticed more power on the low end (under 3k RPM). The low end now seems to have as much response as my high end did...

Oh and mine is an 08 and the instructions worked...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a used 2004 Titan and the SES light keeps coming on and I keep going back to the dealer to get it turned off. They claim nothing wrong with the truck and I must have loose gas cap. I have checked this and made sure it was tight the last time I filled it up but the light still comes on after a couple of days. Will this method work for getting the light to go out and will it alter anything else on the performance of the vehicle? I have not made any changes to the vehicle so add ons are not an issue. Will this hurt the truck in anyway? Doesn't pressing and releasing the gas pedal automatically flood the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
mpchrist1 said:
I just purchased a used 2004 Titan and the SES light keeps coming on and I keep going back to the dealer to get it turned off. They claim nothing wrong with the truck and I must have loose gas cap. I have checked this and made sure it was tight the last time I filled it up but the light still comes on after a couple of days. Will this method work for getting the light to go out and will it alter anything else on the performance of the vehicle? I have not made any changes to the vehicle so add ons are not an issue. Will this hurt the truck in anyway? Doesn't pressing and releasing the gas pedal automatically flood the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help
It will turn off the light but if the problem is still there the light will come back on.
Swing by your local autoparts place, most will read the code for you free of charge, with the code you will know exactly why it's coming on.

Don't reset your ECU unless you have to, you will see your MPG drop like Enron's stock.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
+1 what baseballfanz said

41 - 60 of 158 Posts