Nissan Titan Forum banner

How to:ECU Reset,Throttle & Accelerator Position Learning

560K views 161 replies 103 participants last post by  SuccubusIncubus 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I came across this info a couple of months ago while cruising the 350Z section of the Technosquare site. Except for the ECU reset procedure, all the other procedures are available in the Titan service manual. The ECU reset procedure is invaluable, as it allows an almost instant reset of the ECU's RAM instead of the usual method of disconnecting the battery and guessing how long you must leave it disconnected.

I think it's important to do the learning procedures periodically, as it recalibrates the electro-mechanical positioners, namely the throttle valve positioner and the accelerator pedal positioners. After some use, these things get a little out of whack and get lost. This can cause problems like loss of power and idle issues. This method restores the proper min/max position voltages that the ECU sees from them.

I have seen the best improvement in my engine by doing the full procedure, starting with the ECU reset, followed by the other procedures. In fact, after doing this, I got back some of the low-end grunt I'd lost over the past months. I can catch a bit of rubber now, which I haven't been able to do for a long time! It also cured a slightly erratic idle I was having.

Give it a try, but be patient....it may take a couple (or more) tries with your stopwatch to get it right. Timing is critical here! (Edit: See newly added "Easy Method" below).

Note: Make sure the engine is at operating temperature, and all electrical loads are turned off before doing the idle air volume learning. I don't think it matters for an ECU reset.

From the Technosquare website:

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.
A stopwatch or an analog clock with a second needle will be useful.

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specified time, the ECU will not reset, and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will remain ON. A stopwatch or an analog clock with a second needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that the accelerator pedal is fully released, turn the ignition switch "ON," and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position, and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

Edit: Added the "Easy Method" for ECU Reset

The Easy Method:

After experimenting with different timing and reading posts by other members, I've come up with a condensed method of doing this reset. This method works EVERY time, even w/o a stopwatch. I've used this method a dozen times or so, now w/o a watch. After a few times, you won't need a watch or instructions. You'll get so darn good at it that you'll find yourself doing it while waiting at a traffic light.

Timing is not as critical with this method...no stopwatch is needed. Just count in your head...one-one thousand, two-one thousand, etc., or use a stopwatch. The most critical step is step #3....wait 10 sec instead of 7.

1. Ignition "ON"; count to 3.
2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.
3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress the pedal
4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal
5. Count to 10, depress the pedal
6. Count to 10, and release the pedal.
7. Turn off the ignition, then start the engine. Done!

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning

Operation Procedure

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch "ON" and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch "OFF" and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch "ON" and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch "OFF" and wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Operation Procedures

2. Turn the ignition switch "ON."
3. Turn the ignition switch "OFF" and wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during the above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)

It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures

1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning."
2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning."
3. Start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn the ignition switch "OFF" and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that the accelerator pedal is fully released, turn the ignition switch "ON," and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turns ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start the engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

See less See more
#52 ·
RockyMtnTitan said:
It's just a faster, for sure method of resetting the ecu. There has been much discussion about how long it takes to clear the ram with the battery disconnected....2 hrs, 12, 24....there's no way to know for sure with that method. This way takes away the guess work.
According to the Nissan Service Manual, the RAM for the ECU will be cleared, if the battery is disconnected for up to 24 hours. This is Just FYI.

#54 ·
Hello villiage idiot,

Welcome to Titan Talk!!:jester:

You reset the ECU if you have added a mod to your vehicle (IE. Exhaust, Intake, ETC.) by changing something on your engine you change the parameters the ECU was using, it will learn the new parameters, but it learns it quicker if you reset the ECU.

#55 ·
Does anyone know if these directions work on the 08 models?

#56 ·
anmut said:
Does anyone know if these directions work on the 08 models?
Give it a try, if the SES light blinks it worked, if not it will not hurt anything.
The ECU reset and how to check SES codes are the same procedure.

How To: In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.
2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.
5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.

Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying SES light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

#57 ·
I installed my Flowmaster 70 Series cat back and AEM CAI a little over a month ago then saw this thread. I figured I'd give it a shot and after going through the "easy instructions", I immediately noticed more power on the low end (under 3k RPM). The low end now seems to have as much response as my high end did...

Oh and mine is an 08 and the instructions worked...

#58 ·
I just purchased a used 2004 Titan and the SES light keeps coming on and I keep going back to the dealer to get it turned off. They claim nothing wrong with the truck and I must have loose gas cap. I have checked this and made sure it was tight the last time I filled it up but the light still comes on after a couple of days. Will this method work for getting the light to go out and will it alter anything else on the performance of the vehicle? I have not made any changes to the vehicle so add ons are not an issue. Will this hurt the truck in anyway? Doesn't pressing and releasing the gas pedal automatically flood the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help

#59 ·
mpchrist1 said:
I just purchased a used 2004 Titan and the SES light keeps coming on and I keep going back to the dealer to get it turned off. They claim nothing wrong with the truck and I must have loose gas cap. I have checked this and made sure it was tight the last time I filled it up but the light still comes on after a couple of days. Will this method work for getting the light to go out and will it alter anything else on the performance of the vehicle? I have not made any changes to the vehicle so add ons are not an issue. Will this hurt the truck in anyway? Doesn't pressing and releasing the gas pedal automatically flood the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help
It will turn off the light but if the problem is still there the light will come back on.
Swing by your local autoparts place, most will read the code for you free of charge, with the code you will know exactly why it's coming on.

Don't reset your ECU unless you have to, you will see your MPG drop like Enron's stock.

#60 ·
+1 what baseballfanz said

#61 · (Edited)
i have a question on the steps, i am confused if you have to really TURN/CRANK the IGNITION ON or just put the key to ON position to the following steps below, i also want to know that if you say Turn ignition OFF, do you pull they key out of the ignition? Thank you for your response.

Operation Procedure

2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Operation Procedures

1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

#64 ·
titanic_081806 said:
i have a question on the steps, i am confused if you have to really TURN/CRANK the IGNITION ON or just put the key to ON position to the following steps below, i also want to know that if you say Turn ignition OFF, do you pull they key out of the ignition? Thank you for your response.
-When it says turn the key to "on" position just turn it as far as you can go BEFORE the truck turns over.
- No you do not have to take the key out

#65 ·
I came across this info a couple of months ago while cruising the 350Z section of the Technosquare site. With the exception of the ecu reset procedure, all the other procedures here are available in the Titan service manual. The ecu reset procedure in invaluabe, as it allows almost instant reset of the ecu's RAM instead of the usual method of disconnecting the battery and guessing as to how long you must leave it disconnected.

I think it's important to do the learning procedures periodically, as it basically recalibrates the electro-mechanical positioners, namely the throttle valve positioner and the accelerator pedal positioners. After some use, these things get a little out of whack, and get kinda lost. This can cause problems like loss of power and idle issues. This method restores the proper min/max position voltages that the ecu sees from them.

I, personally, have seen the best improvement in my engine by doing the full procedure, starting with the ecu reset, followed by the other procedures. In fact, after doing this, I got back some of my low end grunt I'd lost over the past months. I can actually catch a bit of rubber now, which I haven't been able to do for a long time! It also cured a slightly erratic idle I was having.

Give it a try, but be patient....it may take a couple (or more) tries with your stopwatch to get it right.....timing is extremely important here! (Edit: See newly added "Easy Method" below).

Note: Make sure engine is at operating temp and all electrical loads are turned off prior to doing the idle air volume learning. Don't think it matters for an ecu reset.

From Technosquare website:

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON. A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.
If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

Edit: Added the "Easy Method" for ECU Reset

The Easy Method:

After experimenting with different timing, and reading posts by other members, I've come up with a condensed method of doing this reset. This method works EVERY time, even w/o a stopwatch. I've used this method successfully a dozen times, or so, now w/o a watch. After a few times, you won't need a watch or instructions. You'll get so darn good at it, you'll find yourself doing it while waiting at a traffic light.

Timing is not as critical with this method...no stop watch needed. Just count in your head...one-one thousand, two-one thousand, etc, or use stop watch. The most critical step is step #3....wait 10 sec, instead of 7.

1. Ignition "ON", count to 3.
2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.
3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal
4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal
5. Count to 10, depress pedal
6. Count to 10, release pedal.
7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. Done!

Operation Procedure

2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Operation Procedures

4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
Hello,

I own a 2004 Nissan Murano V6.

I am hoping that the reset sequence that is valid for a Titan is valid for the Murano.

Do you know if this is so.

This is the only forum I have found that speaks to these reset sequences.

I have a suspicion that they are the same across the family of Nissan's.

If so, then great.

If not, then can you point me to the right place for Murano's.

I haven't found a Murano forum that speaks the same language for resetting ECU's Throttle relearn, etc., and etc.,

Thank you in advance,

In any event I am goint to try out these sequences on my 2004 Murano.

Why?

I have an idle problem. It is idling low at this point.

Thanks again,

Ralph

#68 ·
Well I need to give all of you guys a huge

Thank you!

The procedures are the same.

I was hoping they would be.

Afterall, the engines are similar, the computer components are probably the same, etc., etc.,

I went out and performed the procedures this morning and all the resets worked and it corrected my idle issue.

The Murano is back to running perfect.

The battery disconnect procedure for reset is what I had tried. It didn't work, at least not for the Idle Air Volume relearning.

But sure enough this procedure did work.

I didn't need to use a stop watch, I did the one-thousand one, one thousand two, etc., on all the procedures. I just had to get my cadence down properly.

Thanks so much

Ralph:)

#72 ·
Thanks for the info Titanss, Podunk did a good job showing what the CEL should do when done correctly. Instructions were good as well, Very helpful Video. :thumbsup:

Now that programmers have entered the Titan world...
Will a ECU Reset overwrite a programmers tune with stock tune, or by reseting ecu, it resets/clears only the info on whats been "learned" keeping whatever tune is loaded intact?

#75 ·
no it will not do anything to your tune. Basically your old tune is stored in the Bullydog unit for say, and when you want to flash it to stock it swaps out the stock tune for the BD tune. You dont want to reset the ecu unless its last resort though. It clears important gathered driving knowledge and has to researn. this can afeect AFR, power and MPG for a short period of time

#76 ·
I can't get my ECU to reset in my '04. I've tried the easy method about 20 times over two days now and still no luck. I just can't get the SES light to blink. I've used this method before and had success but something's wrong this time. And after every time I try and fail, when I step on my brake pedal in order to put the truck in drive the pedal is really spongey and goes all the way to the floor while making a sound like air releasing. I was afraid that I had no brakes but once I start to drive the pedal feels normal and the brakes work fine. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be happening?

#77 ·
I tried this and after i hold the pedal down for 10 seconds the SES starts to blink but then stops after a few seconds. Should I try holding the pedal down longer? Anyone have an idea why the SES light does not continue to blink?

#78 ·
If you only get 3 sets of 10 blinks, the ECU has no codes. If it starts to blink and then stops, there could be a problem with the communication between the ECU and SES dash light. Be sure you do not hit the accelerator or turn the key or the test will stop.

#79 ·
:read: Guys, i need some help. Tryed to reset my ecu yesterday and couldn't get my check enging light to blink so i tryed it again. Now i have a blinking red light with a wrench in the center of it just above my speedometer. I've read the owners manual and can't find the purpose of this light. Can anyone identify this light and can i clear it? I think the reason i couldn't reset the ecu is because i have a active tire pressure light. thanks

#80 ·
Tire pressure light doesnt matter. I dont have mine in my aftermarket rims so its always on. Try the procedure with a stopwatch. do the one called the "easy method". Time isnt as criticle. or go to autozone and get the code read and cleared for free. If the light was on before you should read it first rather than clear and ignore.

#81 ·

Operation Procedures

You've got to be kidding me. This procedure was posted almost three years ago and nobody has noticed it's incorrect yet?

Step 3 is NOT how to prepare for the Idle Air Volume Learning procedure.

RTFM!

#83 ·
you sir are wrong. check the service manual yourself, OP is correct.

#86 ·
Yep, i just did all of it yesterday. The only problem I had was after I did the Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning), when i started my truck, every time i rev'ed up the CEL flashed. But after restarting it that problem went away and everything's fine and reset now.