Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Should work just fine...but all you need to watch out for is how much temp that stuff can take before starting to expand/contact, also allow it to cure at room temperature for a good day or two to insure proper seating =)

Best of luck buddy!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Should work just fine...but all you need to watch out for is how much temp that stuff can take before starting to expand/contact, also allow it to cure at room temperature for a good day or two to insure proper seating =)

Best of luck buddy!
Thanks, and thanks for the write-up. The Permatex website says its good for 450 degrees so I'll assume that's high enough. Its my spring break project, along with the bi-yearly polishing and sealant.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks, and thanks for the write-up. The Permatex website says its good for 450 degrees so I'll assume that's high enough. Its my spring break project, along with the bi-yearly polishing and sealant.
Oh plenty high enough, should work great just remember, more is better when it comes to sealant IMHO...cake that on there lol...:bangit:

Keep us updated when the time comes!

·
Registered
488 Posts
man i tried this and it F***ED up my headlight. I think it was the oven. It turned white in one area and has cracks all over it. Oh well looks like i need a new headlight cover lol.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Oh man that sucks! Tell us what happened best you can so we can try and not do the same thing you did...:ftard:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Man... I just cant get them to separate. I've said F' it to the separating. I'm just trying to dig out all of the gasket. What a pain in the arse!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yeah, getting them separated is pretty tough at first. It took me about 1 1/2 hrs to separate the first one, and about 15 minutes to separate the second one. You just need to make sure its in the oven long enough (I did 5 min at 250) to make the gasket nice and soft.

RyBo: I'll get pictures up of the black lights on a granite Titan later this week hopefully since I just sealed them up tonight. They're looking great, I just hope they're sealed well. Thanks again for the how-to.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Man I really need to find a freaking oven that my lights will fit in so I can finally do this mod! I have a spare set of lights just sitting on the shelf!!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Man I really need to find a freaking oven that my lights will fit in so I can finally do this mod! I have a spare set of lights just sitting on the shelf!!
Mantis, PM me man, If you have an extra set and you pay for all materials I'll do it for you...we can met up 1/2 way or something and I'd get em back to you in a couple of days...lemme know if your interested!

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Mantis, PM me man, If you have an extra set and you pay for all materials I'll do it for you...we can met up 1/2 way or something and I'd get em back to you in a couple of days...lemme know if your interested!
What materials should I get? I have a few new cans of Krylon for plastic paint, or should I get hi temp paint? I'm assuming black RTV?

Thanks BTW, I'll kick you some scratch for your troubles...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Okay the 2nd set was much easier... I did 10 minutes @ 300 and they came apart in a matter of minutes compared to the first set which took 3 bakings of 10 minutes at 275 each time. Now if I could only find some VHT locally, I could finish these bad boys up.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What materials should I get? I have a few new cans of Krylon for plastic paint, or should I get hi temp paint? I'm assuming black RTV?

Thanks BTW, I'll kick you some scratch for your troubles...
You'll need two tiny tubes of gasket maker...black or dark grey preferable unless you want white sticking out lol...I have sand paper etc here...and Whatever paint you want to have the housings colored...I just bought VHT so if you want your reflectors tinted I can do those too...I used Rustoleum Primer for the base...been awhile now and havent noticed anything strange at all :teethmast

PM me and we'll figure this all out =) Talk to you soon man...

-Ry

·
Read Only
2,060 Posts
Lazy guy asks:

What would happen if you bypass the primer and sanding step? Will the paint not adhere to the "chromed" surface?

Ry, have you done a set using the VHT tint spray to get a "dark chrome" effect?

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Lazy guy asks:

What would happen if you bypass the primer and sanding step? Will the paint not adhere to the "chromed" surface?

Ry, have you done a set using the VHT tint spray to get a "dark chrome" effect?
Paint does not like to stick to chrome unless you use an etching primer, and even then it still flakes off eventually.

Reactions: 25370

·
Read Only
2,060 Posts
I'm still interested in seeing a "dark chrome" headlight mod.

For example:

The Infiniti FX came out with two types of headlights: a "chrome" housing and "dark chrome" housing. The "dark chrome" housing looks so much better.

·
Registered
488 Posts

thats what happened to my headlight when i attempted this mod =(

·
Registered
376 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out how to pop the corner reflectors out. I got the top brow reflector out but the other isn't going anywhere.

Did u guys have to oven roast em again?

21 - 40 of 447 Posts