Nissan Titan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm pretty stoked to go do this mod already; problem is, we only have one of those tiny easy bake ovens at my house. There's no way I'm taking that sort of risk. Has anybody had any success with using a heat gun instead of an oven, or have any thoughts as to potential complications or techniques? Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Read Only
2,060 Posts
I used a heat gun to open up my lights. You'll need about 3 screwdrivers too. Heat up one corner to the point the adhesive is soft but make sure the housing doesn't start warping. Stab into the adhesive with a screwdriver and pry open. Move to the next spot and use another screwdriver. Gloves are recommended cause surfaces get hot. An extra hand will make the task easier. One will man the heat gun while the other does the prying work. After you split the housing, heating up the residue adhesive makes it easier to remove them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How do you remove the bumper filler (plastic piece underneath the lights)?

·
Read Only
2,060 Posts
I finally had the guts to throw in my spare lights in the oven...

I took the housing apart in three minutes!!! Although the thought of it is scary...this method is so much easier than the heat gun method I did before.

Now, how should I mod this headlight set...? hmmm...

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm pretty stoked to go do this mod already; problem is, we only have one of those tiny easy bake ovens at my house. There's no way I'm taking that sort of risk. Has anybody had any success with using a heat gun instead of an oven, or have any thoughts as to potential complications or techniques? Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!
If only one will fit, just do one at a time....might even go a little easier that way, just take a little longer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried, 275 for 10 minutes, multiple tries and I didn't see any progress in separation. So i gave up, then I read more on the thread which motivated me to try again. This time 300 degrees for 10 minutes. Multiple times, no progress. I am starting from that corner and everything. Trying to separate with the flathead screwdriver and using my hands too. I want to get rid of these halo projectors and do headlight mod bad, but damn! :ftard:

·
Registered
85 Posts
clips? it didn't really seem like anything would've been blocking the separation process to me. is it the ones How much of a difference will this make?

·
Registered
213 Posts
For those using the oven method,

For me, this is the best corner to start prying.
Use your screwdriver and separate the corner.
Then, grab both areas and pull housing apart.

In this picture.....the two lumps on the bottom of the clear lense, are clipped into the black housing with little tabs, without these undone....you will get nowhere.
the are also two up top, and the rubber gasket on top of the headlight gets in the way too....sorry if i am rambling, but i did mine two weeks ago and just trying to remember. its tough to do, i really thought i was gonna break them

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok, i will give it another try as soon as I can, this has gotta be possible! I just don't want to break anything. Thanks for the help 04crew.

·
Registered
761 Posts
subbing for the results

·
Registered
213 Posts
hey no problem let me know how it goes or any other questions......one thing i will say is that i got impatient sanding, i did not go any further then 220 grit, i wish now that i did. however, its seems to be one of those things, that i know whats wrong, but no one else really sees...

·
Read Only
2,060 Posts
I went with a different route with this headlight mod.

I didn't do any sanding with this one. I just sprayed windex to clean the chrome areas, then some Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter clear primer and ultra black paint.

I used the same painting process with my current headlights and they have held up well.

I left a chrome trim on the side and bottom of the housing just to match it up with the rest of my truck's chrome trim.

Also, I went a little bit further with painting the housing. I also painted the floor of the inner chrome housing, the convex wall between the highs and lows and a little bit around the high beam housing.

By painting these areas, I'm hoping to reduce some of the glare produced by HID kits.

Update:

I put my headlights back on today. I'm not liking the flat black. Eventually, I'm gonna repaint them to a shinier back to match the body color.

Update:

I repainted my headlights to a more glossy paint. Also, I tapered the chrome accent towards the top corner.

FYI: Do not use flat black paint. It looks crappy. Only use gloss black or paint color matched to the body.

·
Registered
940 Posts
ok n2titan now u have 2 sets ... which set would u want to sell to me lol.. really how much?? ps. i have a smoke titan so both will look great .. let me know..

·
Registered
273 Posts
If it ever stops snowing, I wanna give this a shot!

·
Registered
193 Posts

I didn't use any primer or adhesion promoter. I just cleaned them really good and spayed them with a couple coats of flat black. I didn't sand anything or any other of the stuff. I felt primer wasn't necessary because it's not like the headlight is exposed, once it's sealed there's nothing to scratch or damage the paint. I've had them for over 4 months and I have had no problems. I also used clear sealant instead of black. It worked out great for me!!:eyebrow:

61 - 80 of 447 Posts