Nissan Titan Forum banner

How to improve MPG?

98K views 59 replies 36 participants last post by  CODEX 
#1 ·
I just put in a an AIRAID CAI and an exhuast, what else can I do to improve fuel economy? Other than a programmer, and ease off the pedal are there a any other suggestions?

#2 ·
I got the superchips cortex and the tune that gave me the best mpg's was the 93 tune. However, I never tried the mileage tune. I would get the BullyDog if you are 05 and up (BD not available for the 04). If you are serious about mpg's, then find a cheap civic (or the equivalent) for everyday driving and use the Titan for towing/short trips/fun. As you already know, these trucks aren't known for their gas mileage.

#6 ·
I use my Titan as a day to day driver buying a cheap civic is not an option.

#3 ·
#5 ·
I think Airaid makes a spacer that is more expensive than $29.99. I was thinking about getting one.

#4 · (Edited)
Put a brick between your gas pedal and the floor. You've got a truck that weighs nearly 3 tons. It needs lots of horse power to move it and it takes lots of gas to make horse power.

#8 ·
Carbon Fiber..... Doors, hood, bed, fenders.

Take out all the seats and replace only driver seat with lightweigh racing seat.

replace heavy rear window glass with plexy

take off the massive tires and put some 13's on with the cheapest tire(usually the lightest)

Over-inflate your tires with nitrogen

remove your spare tire

take out speakers that you are using

take out extra items such as tools, tow hooks, tarp, everything in your glovebox and center console.

Did I miss anything guys?

j/k - The only really thing you can do is accept the fact that Nissan titan's are on the top 10 worst gas milage vehicles for a reason. - took me a while, so good luck.

#9 ·
You covered most of it except putting the driver on a diet...lol.

#11 ·
Thanks. That's what I expected.

#14 ·
Geez, it's a pickup. They suck gas. If you don't like it, get a car.

#16 ·
Yeah these trucks should be rated by gpm's(gallons per mile).lol!

Reactions: halfoftwo
#17 ·
Well, I would have thought it would have been suggested by now. Since no one has suggested it I will

Park the truck and ride a bus...
:teethmast

#19 ·
Why all the haters? Can't seem to be happy that the guy picked a Titan as his choice to drive? Can't just tell him there's honestly not much to do about the crappy mileage these things get and let it go? Have to belittle the guy for asking a simple question as a new Titan owner? Way to represent, guys. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's a truck. That's the reason I bought it. I tow, so mileage to me wasn't a high priority. Good thing, too. I'm down to about 10 mpg for my 8 mile daily commute in no traffic. Do we gripe that it's arguably the worst mileage of any half ton out there? Well, most of us don't. That's because we're resigned to the fact that this thing just sucks gas in the worst way, but being resigned to that fact doesn't mean we're happy about it, same as the OP. Only difference between him and most of us is that he hasn't been around the boards long enough to know there just isn't much to be done about it and we have been around. That's certainly not a reason to kick the guy.

Rant over.

#25 ·
Lighten up bro,,,,no haters.(at least not here)..just voicing opinion having fun...There really is nothing you can do about the gas issue..I agree with you on your point of it being a truck you use it for truck things, trucks get poor mileage.

#20 ·
Wasn't trying to be an ***.... Really the best way is to "trim the fat" and start shedding weight in different places. Airbox mod and a programmer gave me about .75 increase. Just put a custom exhaust and haven't figured out if it helped yet (too much snow fun and a meaner sounding truck). I was considering a fiberglass hood and possibly bed mods, but who knows. Weight is the killer for this truck though. I made the mistake of bigger heavy tires.

Sorry if I offended you.

Reactions: Remember the Titans
#21 ·
haha you didnt offend me, actually that was the answer I was expecting but was hoping for better news. I got a CAI and an exhaust but those didnt help cause I hit the gas harder now cause they sound bad ***.

#24 ·
I have 96k miles on it. I have the off road and tow package. I thought I had bad mileage but by the sound of it it's not ad bad as some of you guys. I was averaging just under 15 mpg and now I'm under 14. I am due for a tune up. Thanks for your help guys.

#23 ·
You're pretty much SOL when talking about MPG and Titan in the same sentence. Hate to break it to you. I was averaging about 12 stock...and I have the worst possible combo for mileage...4x4, 3.36 gears, crew cab, fully loaded with options. Then I added the big 33x12.50 Toyos and leveled it. Mileage went down a little. Did the tuner and muffler swap after the fact. Now I still average about 12.

However, with that being said. This is still one hell of a truck and has a lot of advantages over the competition if you can look past the mileage and lack of aftermarket support.

:cheers:

#27 · (Edited)
something I put together awhile back when I was shopping for tires.. Maybe itll help answer the tire-weight question.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...-specific-size-weight.html?highlight=compiled

Ive recently realized that im not gonna get any better gas mileage out of this pickup. Im now looking at the new Ford EcoBoost twin turbo 3.7 liter engine in an F150. EPA estimates are 23mpg hwy.

Good luck. and if it gets bad.. I can sell a my bicycle haha

#28 ·
My 4x2 w/ the 2.94 gears gets 13.5-14 in town and 18-20 highway. Not horrible, but about 1 mpg worse around town than my father's 2006 F-150 4x4.

#29 ·
I had to come to terms with the gas mileage as well. I also knew that I wanted the crew cab (extra weight), bigger tires, and adding weight through better parts, more stereo, and exterior items and so am now happy with the truck I have! There is some satisfaction in knowing that your truck has the power when you need it though so enjoy it and romp it occassionally.

And yes, I also was given some 'great answers' as a newbie and made me want to forget about Titan Talk. Joking and humor are great but try to throw in a little help so as to not come across as a butt. We don't mind humor but when it looks as though you're trying to make fun of lack of knowledge.. just in poor taste. Just MO.

#30 ·
I have posted several times on other threads about the horrible gas mileage i am getting on my 2011 Pro4-X. This weekend something interesting happened:

I filled the tank up and drove 300 miles back to my boyhood home. Just as I was entering town the warning light came on telling me I had 23 miles or so till empty. I filled the tank up and did the math; 12.33 mpg.

On the way back home ysterday I filled up the tank and made it within 45 minutes of where i started several days earlier and had only used half a tank! A little while later I filled up the tank again and did the math; 17.06 mpg.

Not sure how that is possible driving the same road both ways with no wind either day. Both days the cruise control was used and depending on which state I was in i was going between 65-75 mph. Maybe there is a break in period and I have reached it and my gas mileage has improved. I don't know and am not sure I care as long as it stays better than the 8-9 mpg I was getting in town before!

#33 ·
Were you headed north for the first part of the trip and south for the trip back?

Reactions: BCBowers
#32 ·
We drive trucks that weigh nearly three tons and haul ***. We like horse power. Horse power likes gas. I wish there was some way around it but our trucks will never get good gas mileage.

#37 · (Edited)
Here is a list of mpg things I noticed

did have a small improvement in mpg from a 2 degree timing advance (this was before I bought my own BDGT)

new muffler - no noticable mpg improvement

BDGT - not much of an improvement but the driving coach did help me realize i was wasting gas & my brakes from not coasting as much as I should be

did see an improvement from running no-ethanol gas

loss in mpg when switched to the AT tires

seen an improvement from the S&B CAI (got me back to where I was before the AT tires)

Cold weather (below 30 degrees) really hurts gas milage for the 1st 10-20 minutes of driving

did not see any improvement from the tonneau cover

#38 ·
My tonneau cover did not help my mileage at all.

#39 ·
2nd the ethanol. We had two ethanol free gas stations locally when I had my f150 5.4l 4x4 and I noticed a 2-3 mpg disparity when using ethanol versus without. Now, everyone around here only has ethanol as required so I can't test the Titan without. I noticed when reading my owner's manual in the back (2004), it stated something about not knowing how the computer/engine would react to using the blend. Sorry but nowheres around my truck manual right now.

#48 ·
Ethanol absolutely effects the mpg. The higher the ethanol the lower the mpg. It sucks as a fuel. The company I rep for has tested e-10 gas and it varies from brand to brand and part of the country your in. We got numbers as high as E20-25 in E10 labeled gas pumps. You can combat the ethanol with an additive, see B3C link in Sig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.