1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THIS IS NOT A FOR SALE THREAD...IT IS A HOW TO THREAD

Installing a Grounding Kit for Nissan Titan/Armada

Materials Checklist:
(5) ground wires – 4-24” and 1-12" (for 4WD only)
(3) zip ties
(2) ½”-20 nuts or (1) 10mm nut and (1) 1/2"-20 nut
(1) ½” lock washer
(1) ½”x1” bolt

Tools Checklist:
10mm socket
12mm socket
7/16” socket
7/16" open wrench

1. Install the first 24” wire on the negative battery terminal using one of the ½” nuts, or the 10mm nut, whichever you have available. You will need to tighten the nut down with the 7/16” socket.

2. You will attach the other end of this cable under the passenger side of the wiper cowl. In order to do this pull up on the outer edge of the cowl and then remove the 10mm bolt. Place the terminal between the metal of the frame pieces and tighten the bolt back into place. It is recommended, but not required, to sand the paint from this area and apply some dielectric grease. This will help ensure a better metal to metal connection and keep the unpainted area from rusting.

3. Next take one of the zip ties and secure the cable to the frame using the existing hole.

4. To install the second 24” cable, remove the 12mm bolt on the driver side fender wall directly behind the airbox inlet.

5. The other end of this wire will attach to the bracket on the driver side of the engine just behind and below the intake tube. You will need a 10mm socket for this bolt.

6. Zip tie the cable to the bundle of cables located behind the air filter housing.

7. The third wire to be installed is the 24” wire. Attach it using the bolt, washer, and remaining nut to the inner lip of the battery tray just behind the factory ground.
It may be easier to put the bolt through from the bottom, then put the ring terminal, washer, and nut on from the top.
You will need a 7/16” socket and 7/16” wrench. It is recommended, but not required, to sand the paint from this area and appy some dielectric grease. This will help ensure a better metal to metal connection and keep the unpainted area from rusting.

8. Run the cable down so that you can reach it from under the truck to attach to the alternator.

The remaining steps will be done UNDER the truck.
9. Locate the factory ground connection on the alternator and remove the 10mm bolt. Attach the other end of the cable you secured to the battery tray.

10. Now slide under the middle of the truck and remove the 10mm bolt from the bracket on the driver side of the transmission and attach the last 24” wire.

11. The final attachment point is the factory ground location for the exhaust. Remove the 10mm bolt and attach the other end of the final grounding strap.

12. It is also recommended to drill a hole large enough for the last zip tie to pass through into the heat shield on the driver side to secure the cable with so it doesn’t swing loose.

An alternate zip tie location for 4WD trucks is above the transfer case. There is already a bracket with a hole in it, this would allow you to avoid drilling in the heat shield.

FOR 4WD ONLY
13. Attach one end of the 12" cable to the exhaust ground. This is the same location as in step 11 with the 10mm bolt.

14. The other end of the 12" cable will attach to the back side of the transfer case. This is also a 12mm bolt.

That's it, you have successfully installed a grounding kit.

Thanks to FishnAlaska for the last two pictures and smon for the alternate zip tie location for 4WD.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Nice job

Swyped from my Bionic

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hopefully I can get a 4WD one put together soon, but that requires access to a 4WD truck. :)

Sent from a phone.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Good Write up. 4wd is not much different, it attaches to the same spot as the tranny ground/exhaust ground, other end attaches to the transfer case. I'll try and get a picture up for you in the morning.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Write up. 4wd is not much different, it attaches to the same spot as the tranny ground/exhaust ground, other end attaches to the transfer case. I'll try and get a picture up for you in the morning.
Thanks I appreciate that. If you can send it to me I'll update the OP so it works for both.

Sent from a phone.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks!!

My kit should be at my house when I get home from work today. Hopefully get it in today or tomorrow.

Reactions: goodolsen

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't take long...about 15 minutes maybe. If you have any questions just let me know.

Sent from a phone.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Who makes this kit?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad 2 app.

·
Premium Member
58,568 Posts
Excellent work and great write up. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know how I can get the Title changed to remove the 2WD part, since it now covers both?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Administrator

Swyped from my Bionic

·
Registered
409 Posts
What are the benefits from doing this? Seems interesting

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends on who you ask. Some people say they didn't see any benefits. I personally saw better throttle response and my RPM's dropped at same speeds.

Before I installed my kit I was running at about 2000RPM doing 70, now its closer to 1800. Also, my idle RPM's dropped to about 500 from about 700-800.

Overall it helps the electrical system work more efficiently even if you can't feel and butt dyno benefits. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Haha ok well it's cheap to do so why not lol

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Seems simple enough and I like fiddling with the truck Where did you get the kit from?

·
Registered
712 Posts
PM me details also please I'm interested! From what i understand it can also help eliminate the ticking some people hear on the passengers side of their trucks.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts