Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to put on my new key fob cover today and thought id do a write up. Class was cancelled so i had the time to do it.

First off, if you abuse your keys, your fobs probably look like mine. Both of my fobs began to crack and various locations. I taped up one of my fobs with electrical tape and the other i superglued numerous times (probably 5 times) to try to keep them usable. Eventually both fobs broke at the key ring attachment making them useless for me (with the fob not attached to the key, i would always forget the fob at home making me manually open the truck with the key, which would be a pain since Titans dont have a keyhole for manual openings on the passenger side :bangit: )

First, a picture of my fobs as they were.

Now a picture of the new fob covers i ordered on ebay. They came in "retail" packaging (although ive never seen them at the dealers where you would think they would have them). The package said newkeyfob.com which i determined is the same company as USspeedo (at least they have the same address and phone number). The package says retail price is 24.95, although i got it cheaper from an ebay seller. Also remember there are different versions. This one is a complete replacement, but i have seen other listings that only come with the front piece.

First open the package and take the new covers out.

Now take your old fob and pry them open.

Take the button part with the circuit board and place it in your new fob case.

Now heres a bit of a painful part. Looking at the new fob cover, it did not have the metal piece as the stock fob ( the metal piece on the back of the fob). (in the following picture, stock fob back piece on left, new fob back piece on right) Tested the fob without this piece, and of course it didnt work. I determined i had to remove it from the stock fob and place it on the new fob (although there are not instructions to tell you to do this)

Continued in next post.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Next, i tried to take off this metal piece as carefully as possible. It is attached to the stock fob with sort of an alignment pin type thing ( the metal has a hole where a plastic nub from the stock fob poke through to secure it). I ended up breaking it off of the stock fob with the little plastic nub still attached to the metal (what i didnt want).

Now your stuck with the plastic in the metal piece. I tried to punch it out with a hobby knife with no avail. After 5 mins of trying, i decided to burn the plastic piece off. I took a lighter and ran it under the plastic nub. It eventually melted which let me poke it out (although i ended up burning my metal piece in the process)

Next step is to place the metal piece in the new fob. This is where i ran into a new problem. The new alignment "nub" on the new fob didnt exactly line up perfectly. The raised plastic part on the fob cover where the two "arms" of the metal piece go are higher than the stock fob. (picture explains) This prevented the metal piece from fitting onto the "alignment nub" perfectly.

I eventually made it fit, although the plastic piece circled in the previous picture made it so that the metal tab was proped up much higher than the stock fob.

Finally, attach the fob pieces together and you get the finished product.

Overall, it was more involved than i thought it would be. The part that made it hard was having to transfer the metal piece and how it didnt really fit right into the new fob.

I dont mind the fake carbon fiber look, although i wish they made this cover in plain black. There are options for those who want different looks (different color carbon fiber patterns, woodgrain patterns, american flag pattern). I bought this because my fobs were busted and i didnt want to buy another new fob on ebay because i didnt want to have to buy a new complete fob just because my case broke (i have no need for new internal electronics or want to deal with programming a new fob).

I would say the new cover it ok in quality. It is made out of hard plastic, which at first felt a little brittle. I will see how long it lasts, but its a great alternative to having to buy a completly new fob.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Good write up man. I'll need to do this pretty soon on the wifes.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Good write up, I just did this, the metal thing is a little bit of a pain but I actually got it off without breaking it, I just got the standard black case for 9.99 on ebay, it came with new rubber buttons as well.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I got one off of ebay from keygirl200902, came with black case and replacement buttons. You have to transplant the metal piece like you said, but it fits perfectly. Around $10.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Titan SE King Cab
135 Posts
Outstanding write up with great photos. Good to know what to expect - -seems like everything I set out to do takes more time/effort than I thought it would. Always a huge help to see what I might be getting into before I start.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts