Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a largish keyring and in time is going to scratch up the area around the ignition. What I can I place to help proetect that area?

I'm thinking something like they use on carpet to protect it might work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
3m clear tape pads, like the kind they use for lifting fingerprints....works great. maybe .2mil thick and 4x6" you can cut to fit. I use them to put over autographs on my son's bmx bike frame so they'll last forever. I also use them on my mtnbikes where the cables rub, and it is invisible protection.

try finding them at office max. I've always asked for them as clear 3m tape pads....maybe somebody else knows the real name for them.

btw, I read somewhere where (especiallly) women with big heavy key rings like mace, etc can cause your ignition to wear out prematurely, b'c the weight of the ring swinging around warbles out the inside of the ignition....fwiw.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The 3M clear tape is what I'm looking for. Between the keyfob, 3 or 4 other keys, and a small screwdriver, they tend to scar up the plastic under the iginition after awhile.

I did an online search for 3m tape pads and didn't find anything, however I did find 2.6mil packing tape.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, considering the cost of the truck and the fact that once the scratches occur they are going to look bad, pretty anal. Probably no more than anyone who puts on a door sill protector.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I cut some small strips from a roll of weatherstripping. Place one under ignition and one on steering column to stop the keyfob from banging around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
gksmith said:
The 3M clear tape is what I'm looking for. Between the keyfob, 3 or 4 other keys, and a small screwdriver, they tend to scar up the plastic under the iginition after awhile.

I did an online search for 3m tape pads and didn't find anything, however I did find 2.6mil packing tape.
I have a few tape pads laying around. If you wanna' pm me your address, I'll stick some in the snailmail to you from TN. Probably wouldn't need more than a few sheets for everything you'd want to cover.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a few pads laying around
Maxi-pads?

Good god it is a truck. Get a keyring splitter and just put the ignition key on it, end of problem. Do you lay down an old quilt in the bed when you carry something so you don't scratch your bed liner?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just slide it in slowly and whisper "don't worry, it's just me, Casper"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts