Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More oxidized plastic bites the dust.

before

first off you will need a 30 torx bit, a small knife, and possibly some needle nose pliers, etc.

begin by removing the screw covers on the doors.

front

rear

pop those out, and you will see a torx screw. This screw is "captured" and you do not remove it completely you just unscrew it until the Escutcheon comes loose. (the small stationary part).

With all of them but the driver, you can stick a finger in there and help push it out, but i learned that if you pull on it, and keep loosening the screw it will come loose.

once you have that removed, you slide the handle toward the end of the door and it will come loose as well. The drivers side, (and pass side if you do not have power locks) has the lock linkage going to the key hole. you spin the plastic clip off the linkage rod, and remove the rod. Putting this back together is where i had the most trouble, but it only took a few minutes to put back together. just pay attention to how it came loose.

you can then remove the plastic trim under the handle

I took them inside and scrubbed them with dish soap to remove all the old wax and stuff. then i sanded the edges to remove the oxidation. I sprayed them with bed liner, but concentrated on the edges since that is all you see.

I waited about 20 min before i put them back together. and everything went together very easily except the drivers door. Getting the linkage in the hole, and the clip on the linkage was a little tricky.

end result.

sexy!:eyebrow:"idhitit2:

·
Premium Member
77,858 Posts
Hmm...I'll have to try this. Mine look like yours before the coating.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
bedliner is ~$7.. lol, so worth it. heck i used leftovers from the tailgate, so it didnt cost me anything.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks for putting this together man. I'm thinking about replacing my black door handles with chrome ones. I can use this to help me out.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
those gaskets are also cheap to replace.....
True but repeatedly replacing them is gonna cost you more in the long run. Coating or painting them is a more permanent solution. I painted mine 5 + years ago any they still look great. I Used SEM trim black paint.

Bravo Beason!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Just a tip for anyone pulling their handles off the truck.

I found it easiest to loosen the screw then grab the head of it with needle nose pliers to pull it out a little further and make sure that its not in the threaded hole anymore. There is a little plastic tab under the screw to it does not drop into the bottom of the door unless you pull it out past that tab. Its really self-explanitory when you took at it in person.

Im gonna have to pull my handles and spray the gaskets with some B/L. Mine have a few years worth of wax/polish residue on them along with the common oxidation.

Looks like those are factory chrome handles. I can tell because the chrome is wrapped around the handle a bit where you wouldnt actually see looking at the truck (where your fingers go)

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, mine are stock chromes. its an LE.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
**** i wanna paint my door handles. ive got the chrome ones.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
finding someone to trade for black would be best, but is hard to do. they see a lot of wear from use, so you will need some good paint on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts