Nissan Titan Forum banner

How to remove front leaf spring bolt/nut

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  busemans 
#1 ·
Like the subject says, I am trying to completely remove my leaf springs from the truck. I have the rear mounting points off from the shackle. The front mount of the leaf spring (towards front of truck) just spins. I only have access to the bolt head as the nut is recessed and I can't get to it to hold it in place. Any ideas or is there a trick I am missing?

Thanks

#2 ·
I'm in a similar situation, however, I ended up cutting the bolt and now the nut is too big to remove from the slot between the bracket and frame. I think trying to bend it out enough to let it fall out will be the best bet, any thoughts?

#3 ·
i had the same problem when i installed my Deaver's on the Driver's side. the bolt kept spinning as i thought it was coming out. i'm really not sure how you would fix this?

#4 ·
Yeah what a royal PITA. One would think there would be a better mounting solution. I will mess around with it this weekend. I think on the other side I'm going to cut the bolt in half first, remove it and then cut the rest off so there is room for it to fall between the bracket and frame. I ended up cutting the channels that the bolt rides in out with a Sawzall to make more room but it was still not enough.

#6 ·
Quick update, I did what I mentioned above and cut the bolt in half on the other side and pulled the piece out. I then cut the bolt inside between the bushing and the bracket. This allowed enough room for the remainder of the bolt to fall out. Wish I would have done this on the other side during my first attempt. I still haven't gotten that original piece out. That is the last thing I need to do and I can begin reinstalling everything.

Gotta love how a simple brake swap to increase performance when towing my track car has now turned into several thousands in upgrades and replacements! :D I was thinking of trading it in but decided to just replace everything under the truck suspension wise. It's only got 88K on the clock so there is plenty of life in her. Now if I can only get that damn bolt out!!!

#7 ·
Wondering if anyone has a better solution for this? I have my truck at a shop to replace the forward leaf spring bushings and they are thinking about welding the nut to the frame. Was it welded to begin with?

#9 ·
Ok, I have to imagine there is a proper way, the engineers are allot of the time idiots, but always have a method, I have all new to go in, but what In god's name could be the solution, I am starting to wonder if the nut was indeed welded, and we all have just broken it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.