Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Anyone done this before that could share some insight on what im in for probably this Friday? Any tips for me
I'll try to get you some pictures as long as it doesn't rain today. First, remove the fender liner (or remove all of the clips and screws and tuck the liner under which is what I did). Next, unscrew the antenna from the base. With the liner removed, simply unbolt the base from the frame and pull it out of the fender. Be careful not to rip the rubber piece (grommet?). Transfer the grommet to the new fender.

Location of the bolts:
1) There is 1 bolt that connects the bottom of the fender to the frame. Stand as if you are going to climb into seat and look underneath...you should see it easily.
2) There are 2 bolts (I believe...could be more) inside of the door. With the door open, stand against the truck and look on the inside of the door.
3) There are 3 bolts (I believe...could be more) under the hood. All but one should be visible. The one that is not visble is located under the wiper cowl. Be careful with the cowl. I broke mine. You will also need to disconnect the passenger side "shock" that holds the hood up. I would do that last.
4) The last bolt is inside the fender below the headlight. I did NOT have to remove the headlight or end cap. It is a tight space and a PITA but it does come out.

Follow in reverse order to put the new one on. Since the fender I got was not OEM, the bottom part of the fender that connects to the frame is a bit longer. When I lined the holes up and installed that final bolt, I had a slight bulge at the bottom. It's not noticable to most, but I am so OCD that it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to get you some pictures as long as it doesn't rain today. First, remove the fender liner (or remove all of the clips and screws and tuck the liner under which is what I did). Next, unscrew the antenna from the base. With the liner removed, simply unbolt the base from the frame and pull it out of the fender. Be careful not to rip the rubber piece (grommet?). Transfer the grommet to the new fender.

Location of the bolts:
1) There is 1 bolt that connects the bottom of the fender to the frame. Stand as if you are going to climb into seat and look underneath...you should see it easily.
2) There are 2 bolts (I believe...could be more) inside of the door. With the door open, stand against the truck and look on the inside of the door.
3) There are 3 bolts (I believe...could be more) under the hood. All but one should be visible. The one that is not visble is located under the wiper cowl. Be careful with the cowl. I broke mine. You will also need to disconnect the passenger side "shock" that holds the hood up. I would do that last.
4) The last bolt is inside the fender below the headlight. I did NOT have to remove the headlight or end cap. It is a tight space and a PITA but it does come out.

Follow in reverse order to put the new one on. Since the fender I got was not OEM, the bottom part of the fender that connects to the frame is a bit longer. When I lined the holes up and installed that final bolt, I had a slight bulge at the bottom. It's not noticable to most, but I am so OCD that it drives me crazy.

That was great bro thanks alot, yea mine will hopefully line up its a take off from an 06 I think. How much time do you think thats takes to do? Just a quick estimate?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
That was great bro thanks alot, yea mine will hopefully line up its a take off from an 06 I think. How much time do you think thats takes to do? Just a quick estimate?
Mine took about an hour and half, but it would have been faster if I didn't make my mistake. The bolt connecting the fender to the frame has a nut on the back of it (the only one of all bolts being removed). I kept turning it and turning it, but it wouldn't come off. I thought it was striped so I tried drilling it out. Just as I was about to drill it out, I noticed the nut on the back side. Simple oversight on my part. I stuck a wrench on the nut, and bolt came right off :teeth:

BTW, here is my poor attempt at Photoshop showing where the bolts are located. Again, I don't recall how many bolts are behind the door and under the hood.

Also, you can kinda see the bulge right behind my tire. That's what I get for going with non-OEM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine took about an hour and half, but it would have been faster if I didn't make my mistake. The bolt connecting the fender to the frame has a nut on the back of it (the only one of all bolts being removed). I kept turning it and turning it, but it wouldn't come off. I thought it was striped so I tried drilling it out. Just as I was about to drill it out, I noticed the nut on the back side. Simple oversight on my part. I stuck a wrench on the nut, and bolt came right off :teeth:

BTW, here is my poor attempt at Photoshop showing where the bolts are located. Again, I don't recall how many bolts are behind the door and under the hood.

Also, you can kinda see the bulge right behind my tire. That's what I get for going with non-OEM.

I tried doing this alone,I ended up dropping my fender and it got a lot of scratches. You really need assistance in doing this. I was also lucky that I've gotten to know Auto Repair How to, I found the answers to my automotive questions on that site.

I couldn't help but be amazed with your ride. May I ask for the brand of your tires? It really looks good on your truck.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Awesome info...btw, what was wrong with your fenders? Dents that wouldn't come out? Asking because I have small dent/outward bend by my gas door/rear wheel well, and since I have a slight case of OCD myself thought I could do this with the rear quarter panel too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Location of the bolts:

This is obviously a very old post but I was wondering if you could offer any guidance on how to disconnect the shock that holds the hood up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts