Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the hunt to add a hitch to my truck.

Once I do, I have two stumps in my yard that I can either pay $150 for a stump grinder to come out and grind up, or I can try pulling them out with the truck.

How do you yank out a stump? Slowly, quickly, both? How do you hook a strap around it if it's just a stump and not a tree?

What kind of strap do you use?

Just curious - I've never done it before and since I live in Florida and my front yard is nothing but sand, it seems like the truck should be able to do it.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr do I mostly just risk ruining my yard and damaging my truck?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ourbaby said:
What type of tree? Pine or Oak?
neither, actually. I'm not sure what the heck they are. It's odd now that I think about it, cause it seems like FL is 90% pines or oaks.

They were planted back in 83 by the original home owner, and the trees were about 30' tall each. The trunks were about 8-10" diameter.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If it has a diameter of larger than a foot and a half grind it. OK your gona try it so here it goes. Use a water hose with a spray nosle and a shovle. Startd digging it out a little and cut the roots as you come down. Dig about a foot down and tie your snatch rope around the stump under some root as low as you can go. Start by pulling in 4L and see what happens, if you get nothing back up a little and give it a bump. If you get noting dig and cut some more roots.
And by the way you didnt make it to the Jville area meet, was a good time man. We had 6 trucks and a state trooper.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ourbaby said:
If it has a diameter of larger than a foot and a half grind it. OK your gona try it so here it goes. Use a water hose with a spray nosle and a shovle. Startd digging it out a little and cut the roots as you come down. Dig about a foot down and tie your snatch rope around the stump under some root as low as you can go. Start by pulling in 4L and see what happens, if you get nothing back up a little and give it a bump. If you get noting dig and cut some more roots.
And by the way you didnt make it to the Jville area meet, was a good time man. We had 6 trucks and a state trooper.
It's 2WD so perhaps I shouldn't try it. heh.

Sorry about the meet, I ended up being out of town that weekend, but I did want to go. Glad you guys had a good time.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I wouldnt try but you can always dig and cut below the surface and cover it up to save the $. You will have to catch us at the next meet.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
ye, no u will have to load ur bed as well... our trucks are light from the rear and if ur 2WD then it wont do anything but toss ur truck around... I tried it already... lol... and it was a lil tree... I didnt give it a lot of gass but my tires would just spin... when id give it some gas my truck wanted to jump around...lol... so I dont think itll work UNLESS maybe ull have a chance if u get some weight in the back...

·
Registered
800 Posts
make sure you drive forward instead of backing it out, oh nvermind you are 2 wd, you shouldn't have any problems, just wrap your chain a few times around the base of tree, (after you dig alittle bit to get the chains to wrap)
you shouldn't have any problems. good luck with that.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thats a small tree you should have no problem pulling it out even in 2wd. I would make a cut in the back end of the stump and get a tow rope make a slip knot so it grabs the stump and will not slip off. make sure the tow rope is in the slot you cut because you dont want it to slip off. just give it a couple bumps and it should come up easy. if not the water should help. I pulled 3 posts that were cemented in about 3 feet down and they came out without even using the gas.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
shoot... if u could pull out the stump with a lil car then ye its gonna come out... but shoot I tried a small tree like I said and nope tires would just spin... the darn thing has to be ready to just fall out then... cuz u wont be able to "rip out a tree" in our trucks...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the tree has been dead for over a year and a half before i cut it down, so i'm hoping the roots are brittle. the soil is really loose and sandy.

if i do it, it'll mostly be just for an experiment. i suppose if i spin the tires i can always call a stump grinder later :lol:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'd personally avoid chains. If a chain did happen to snap I'd hate to see the damage from the backlash. Titans aren't known to have the thickest armor... I've seen some big stumps pulled out of wet ground, just not with any truck I've owned. If you have a buddy with a truck just dare him to do it.

If you do it, don't forget to take a video. There's nothing like a good stump pull.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Treebasher said:
If you do it, don't forget to take a video. There's nothing like a good stump pull.
Absolutely dude. Absolutely. I'll have the girlfriend filming me as the stump rips out, leaving me with a 4' wide hole in my front yard that's far uglier than the stump ever was. haha

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just had some trees cut down and stumps removed. I paid for al the stumps to be removed except two. The arborist dude told me to go to the local nusery and buy some professional stump killer. He said it rapidly decays and rots the stump. Just passing along info.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
ZeroPt99 said:
the tree has been dead for over a year and a half before i cut it down, so i'm hoping the roots are brittle. the soil is really loose and sandy.

if i do it, it'll mostly be just for an experiment. i suppose if i spin the tires i can always call a stump grinder later :lol:
Give it a shot man. If its been dead for a while, go for it. DO NOT USE A CHAIN!!! Have seen one snap. Will destroy the back end of your truck and God forbid if anyone is standing an;ywhere near it. Dig and use the water a little wrap your rope around it and give it a pull then back up and give it a couple 2 foot bumps. :rockon

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I doubt even a 4wd would pull up a stump of a 30 foot tree. I don't even think my 50 hp tractor with a front end loader would do it. I have been clearing trees off of a food plot and they aren't any where near 30 feet and my tractor struggles. I pulled one with my truck after hurricane katrina and after cutting roots with a chain saw I finally got it out, in 4 lo.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
helomech said:
I doubt even a 4wd would pull up a stump of a 30 foot tree. I don't even think my 50 hp tractor with a front end loader would do it. I have been clearing trees off of a food plot and they aren't any where near 30 feet and my tractor struggles. I pulled one with my truck after hurricane katrina and after cutting roots with a chain saw I finally got it out, in 4 lo.
The roots may bee dead and brittle, if he digs and cuts he may get it but the vid would be great.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Ourbaby said:
The roots may bee dead and brittle, if he digs and cuts he may get it but the vid would be great.
8-10 inches in diameter, unless you can kick a chunk off of it with your foot I really doubt it will pull it. Especially since it is only 2wd. Unless it has been dead for many years I don't think it will budge. I have a lot of stumps on my property that are 5 years old,(that is when it was clear cut) and my massy furgesson won't pull them out. Both back tires on the tractor will dig a big whole but the stumps won't budge. I usually have to use the front end loader to dig it out and then sometimes I can snap them off.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
helomech said:
8-10 inches in diameter, unless you can kick a chunk off of it with your foot I really doubt it will pull it. Especially since it is only 2wd. Unless it has been dead for many years I don't think it will budge. I have a lot of stumps on my property that are 5 years old,(that is when it was clear cut) and my massy furgesson won't pull them out. Both back tires on the tractor will dig a big whole but the stumps won't budge. I usually have to use the front end loader to dig it out and then sometimes I can snap them off.
Hmmm, may end up having to dig and cut the mains out. Really all depends on what type of tree it is and how the roots grow. Pines are a beast to pull out they grow a main root straight down, they require some snatchin, regular swamp oaks roots run they have to be dug and cut before they will move. I still want to see a vid either pass of fail. lol

1 - 20 of 45 Posts