Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, just bought a used Titan 2006 (XE from what I can tell) CC last night and had a few questions. My truck has appears to be an XE as it has power windows, locks and power rear window, basic black AM, FM CD, manual mirrors, 17" steel wheels and no over head console. The truck came with just a single key, no fobs etc. From what I have read on here I am pretty sure it does not have keyless entry since it is a XE CC without the preferred package but I was wondering how you can tell if it has the engine imobilizer that requires a transponder key. Hoping it doesn't so I can just have a non-transponder key cut to use. Strange thing is that on the car-fax, 2 months after it was first sold as new there is an entry stating "New key cut and programmed, maintenance inspection completed". I think someone might have lost their keys and got burned by the dealer possibly if a Transponder key was really not needed.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The immobilizer was a Option on the 06 XE CC. Have a standard key cut and see if it will start the Titan, if it does not it will still open the doors. A standard key is only a couple bucks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take your key that works to Wal-Mart - their key cutting machines now have a tester that can test for transponders. They also can cut/program transponder keys now days for far less than the dealer.

Cannot remember if this applied to the Nissan or the Toyota I have, but when installing remote starts in both of them - I remember reading somewhere that you have a black ring around the ignition if you have a transponder.

Also, if you want keyless entry, I would prob recommend just buying a remote starter that has keyless entry as well. I paid $120 for mine (they have an alarm too) - installed myself in both. That is cheaper than a factory fob for the toyota yaris - didn't get the fob's when I bought the toyota used. The wife is loving having keyless entry now not to mention the remote start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for everyone's advice, I went to my local ace and had them cut me a standard DA39 key, opened doors, went to try and start and it just cranked but wouldn't turn over. I guess the truck I bought has the engine immobilizer option. I am going to try and call Nissan tomorrow and give me the VIN and see if they can give me some sort of virtual window sticker or report of model and options that are on it.

As far as the key goes, I am going to call some locksmiths and get some quotes etc. on how much to code and cut if I bring in a blank transponder key that I would buy on ebay.

-Dan

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wal-Mart cutting and programming transponder keys??? Oh DEAR GOD!!! That scares the ever loving crap outta me!

Be careful about the keyblanks you buy on EBAY. We have had more than one person get the wrong key blank. Locksmiths will definitely do it cheaper than the dealer, and you can be sure it's right, as our machines are constantly recalibrated, and our equipment must be totally kept current. Shouldn't be a hard process for you. Should only take about 5 minutes or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts