Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2004 Titan makes a seriously loud whine when driving. It is vehicle-speed dependent, not engine speed. When cruising at speed, if you let off the gas pedal, or shift to neutral, the noise will stop. It resumes howling as soon as you reapply some gas.

It certainly sounds like it is coming from the rear of the truck.

Truck has 75k miles, and we've only owned it a couple weeks. So the maintenance history is unknown. The diff fluid level was fine.

It doesn't really get going until about 10mph or so, so I'm not sure spinning the rear tires by hand will help isolate it.

Any tips?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I drained the diff fluid, and pulled the cover off while I was doing it. I don't really know diffs that well, but nothing looked shockingly wrong with it. No teeth seemed to be missing, I yanked on the ring gear to see if it moved around, though I realize that's not a lot of force compared to what it sees when driving.

The cover is weird, it's not very flat on the sealing surface, it's more like a wedge.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Put the rear of the truck up on jackstands and put the truck into 1st gear only and get the speed past 10 mph so you'll be able to track down the noise. It could be a bearing in the rear end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put the rear of the truck up on jackstands and put the truck into 1st gear only and get the speed past 10 mph so you'll be able to track down the noise. It could be a bearing in the rear end.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The Titan won't fit in my garage, and I'd be hesitant to do that on a non-level surface.

But if I can't get anywhere with it, I'll see if I can figure out a safe way to try that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to provide some closure, it is the Transfer Case.

I drained/refilled it. There was a lot of metal shavings. Larger than the sort of "mush" shavings you get in an engine or trans. Large enough you could see individual flecks, but not large enough you could pick one up from another. And the magnet had a pretty thick coating of this on it, and the fluid was definitely flakey. Enough that I'm thinking I may drain/refill it again this spring.

The T-case is quieter now, though not silent. I'd say the sound is about 30-40% of what it was. I don't plan on replacing it unless something gets worse, I assume it still works properly, just noisily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts