Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is really starting to show wear.

The leather wrap is wearing through at the 10 o'clock and the paint is now starting to break down around the control buttons for the radio

Anyone have solutions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine got bad, i just got a nice cover for it.Steering wheel control just left them alone, until a good fix comes out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
mine looks like crap to. about the only thing you can do is get a cover or a new wheel

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just went to target and got a wheel cover like the other guys on here. I like the thicker wheel too. Or girthy...whatever you prefer...

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Yeah my wheel is showing wear too but I can't blame the T every vehicle I have owned with a leather wheel seems to wear out. I might try a cover like the others.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
my mostly tan wheel has a bit of black showing through. It doesnt bother me though, its a truck and its not as expensive as a toyota. i dont expect it to be perfect

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Mine is starting to show some wear as well. I know of a guy up the road from me that does a really good job on leather upholstery, I'm thinking about taking it to him to see if he can do anything with it

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
My 05 steering wheel still looks great, but I'm only at 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at a cover as well I guess, I got a wild idea and tried wrapping the wheel with para-cord (550 cord) which actually was pretty cool and kinda matched the interior, I unwrapped because I was worried the cord would damage the wheel more.

I'm guessing the little plastic covers for the controls pop off? might have to repaint or clear coat them so they at least don't wear any more

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I think the guy.doing the custom radio bezels can make a wrap for the steering wheel covers

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I don't want to cover the wheel since it's the PRO and has the nice red stitching. Mine hold up well but I love the feeling of the wheel when new. Over time the leather gets smooth and shiny. So....I had mine replaced just before my 3/36 was up (just pull a little of the string lace out...they replace it). I only have 26k miles on it but when it does get bad, I'll just replace the wheel again. I tried to leave the plastic on the one they replaced for as long as I could..lol. Lasted about 4 days!

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got a wood grain qx56 wheel when I converted my interior, holds up a lot better then the titan one because of that wood grain panel piece at the 10-2 o'clock position.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
The wheel in my 04 XE still looks like new, the cruise control panel has a wear mark by the cancel button, but i am looking at a fix for that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I plan on keeping my truck as long as possible, so when the leather wheel wears out I plan on replacing it with a XE steering wheel. I hate the look of wheel covers, I'd rather have the more durable non-leather wheel.

Once the vehicle becomes old enough but you still intend to keep it, replacing a +$500 wheel every few years doesn't make much sense. I had to track down a used, but in good condition leather wheel for my 13 year old Maxima, took about 2 years to get one! I couldn't find any non-leather wheels for that car. Fortunately Titan XE's have plastic steering wheels that hold up better than leather....

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
I have been using formula 303 religiously on my steering wheel. It's 5½ years old and still looks good.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
When I get back to socal i plan on hitting up my interior guy to have him rewrap my wheel in black leather with dark green stitching to match my truck.

I'm going to pick up some black suede from him while I'm there so I can do my headliner and center arm rest at the same time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts