Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have tried searching and keep seeing different answers.

I recently got the Fuel Octane 20x9 wheels and Toyo Open Country 305/55R20 tires. The tire shop installed them for me, but they said that Fuel included the wrong size rings with them. He said he didn't think it actually needed them. He said they only actually are needed about 10% of the time.

Do I need to order some and get them put on or should it be ok?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ran mine for awhile without rings. OEM size tires with an 18x9 +10 offset wheel. Thought I had a vibration caused by not having rings. Ordered the rings and didn't notice a real big difference. With a six lug wheel as long as the lugs are torqued evenly and your not getting a vibration I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have MB TKO`s from Discount Tire with Coopers and they came with hub centric rings... smooth as buttah!

you`ll just have to "feel" what works for you. like said earlier, tightening pattern and the correct torque and you should be fine.
don`t rely on the acorn tapered seat to center the wheel. hold the wheel up or as centered as you can and run the lugs down hand tight, then tighten them to specs. I usually stage it to 50ftlbs , then 100.

the hubcentric rings center the wheel on the hub making it much easier to allow the acorn lugs to seat without holding the weight of the tire/wheel combo...

if the wheel has run-out, you will have a vibration... just be careful with your install.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i also have them and say they are worth the money for sure

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hey, I see you're in Nashville. Good to see another local-ish person on here. I'm just down the highway in Clarksville, I'm over in your neck of the woods often. I'm in a lifted white Titan with a matched camper shell. Feel free to say what's up if you see me around!

At any rate, I had a similar question a while ago. I just had some new 18 inch ProComps put on with 35 inch BFG KO2s on Friday. When I took my setup in to the shop, I mentioned the rings (78.1mm inner/108mm outer) I'd purchased. They said they would put them on, however when I came back to check out the truck the mechanic said that, #1 the ones I bought didn't fit (apparently the hub is 77.8? I was told 78.1) and #2 the new wheels were lug centric. The bore on my new wheels is 108mm, so I bought the 78.1 ID/108 OD kit, but the mechanic assured me the new wheels didn't need them...so I don't know.

I guess time will tell if I actually need the rings or not, however I've put a couple hundred miles on my truck since Friday driving back and forth to Nashville and haven't experienced anything abnormal. Everything is riding smooth so far, much better than my previous setup!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
all wheels are lugcentric. acorn seat or shank. the OEM`s use hubcentric. the hubcentric wheels carry the load at the wheel bore using the wheel studs to hold the wheel to the hub/axle.

non hubcentric wheels or wheels without rings carry the load on the wheel studs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
all wheels are lugcentric. acorn seat or shank. the OEM`s use hubcentric. the hubcentric wheels carry the load at the wheel bore using the wheel studs to hold the wheel to the hub/axle.

non hubcentric wheels or wheels without rings carry the load on the wheel studs.

Right. I understand that I just don't think I conveyed it too well. The hubcentric ring is more or less just an adapter.

Honestly you really can't go wrong with getting them. For $15, and the peace of mind, why not? My issue was that I brought the (apparently) incorrect size to the shop with me.

For anyone who has them fitted what inner diameter did you use? I've read both 77.8mm and 78.1mm on this forum. The mechanic said the 78.1mm kit I provided did not fit, although the kit was still sealed in the bag when I came to pick up the truck so... :confused:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Right. I understand that I just don't think I conveyed it too well. The hubcentric ring is more or less just an adapter.

Honestly you really can't go wrong with getting them. For $15, and the peace of mind, why not? My issue was that I brought the (apparently) incorrect size to the shop with me.

For anyone who has them fitted what inner diameter did you use? I've read both 77.8mm and 78.1mm on this forum. The mechanic said the 78.1mm kit I provided did not fit, although the kit was still sealed in the bag when I came to pick up the truck so... :confused:
Can't remember off top of my head but when I was making the 08 brake rotor centering rings I pulled the dimensions off one of the auto parts stores websites. I was thinking it was closer to 80 mm but I might be wrong. Let me look back thru some of my notes and I will let you know.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Can't remember off top of my head but when I was making the 08 brake rotor centering rings I pulled the dimensions off one of the auto parts stores websites. I was thinking it was closer to 80 mm but I might be wrong. Let me look back thru some of my notes and I will let you know.
By the way I promise I'm not trying to hijack here. I'm sure the OP would like a definitive answer on hub size as well considering he's looking in to getting them and is having a similar issue to what I had.

Thanks Chevymanrc. :cheers:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did anyone ever figure out exactly which ones are needed? I'm going to go ahead and get some with them being so cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts