Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had asked weeks ago and still don’t understand, if my hvac is set to dash and feet, not auto, no defrost, no A/C does the compressor keep cycling. All I want to do is adjust the temperature to wherever I want it. I do not need dried air, it’s coming out like I have the air conditioning running like I’m on a hot summer day.
All this dual air zone crap is what I do not like in this truck, the good old red/blue hot and cold plain Jane system was just fine. My passenger two feet to my right can set their own temp? They are two feet away, don’t I feel that. Makes as much sense as a no peeing section in a pool, it’s all the same water.
I should not have to turn the entire system off and have no fan just to keep the compressor OFF.
What says you?

Clint

·
Registered
2020 NISSAN TITAN PRO 4X
22 Posts
I have a 2020 P4X and I have noticed when I have auto off and a/c off mine will still cycle the compressor and blow cold air. I don't understand why... Sometimes it will just bring in outside air, it is never consistent.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem with auto is I don’t get to select fan speed, once you touch it auto turns off.

Clint

·
Registered
189 Posts
If the light on the A/C button is not illuminated, but the compressor continues to cycle AND you feel cold air coming through the vents during these cycles, then something is wrong. If you just hear the compressor cycling but you don't feel a difference in vent temperature, then it may just be a setting the vehicle has to keep the compressor lubricated. You may also want to experiment with this a bit and pop the hood to confirm it is the A/C compressor cycling and not the engine cooling fan.

As the system is designed to work, the location the air is blowing is just controlled by opening and closing some ducts to re-route air through the chosen vents, and you can have a/c on or off whether you're directing the air just at your face, or feet, or a combination of both.

If you just want ambient air entering the cab, you need to press the "A/C" button just to the left of the passenger temp knob until there is no light on. The temperature blowing from the vents will then depend on the ambient temperature. If it's colder outside than the temperature you've selected on the control panel, then the system will route the ambient air through the heater core and warm it up. If it's warmer than you want outside, then it will never get as cold as you want it to until the a/c is turned back on.

As far as the auto setting goes - yes, that's the point. So that you don't have to adjust the fan speed yourself. The system looks at your setting and the cab temperature and works to keep the cab at the selected temperature. A lot of people don't understand how auto a/c works and they'll get in their truck on a hot day and crank the temp all the way down to its lowest setting. That makes no sense, because if there's a large difference in the cabin air temp and the temp setting, the system will work as hard as it can to decrease that difference. Turning it "colder" does nothing, except now you have to re-adjust the temperature back to your preferred setting once you get cold. If it's 95 degrees in the cab and your setting is 70, the truck will automatically blow at its coldest setting and full fan speed until that gap in temperature closes and it will automatically level out and hold the selected temp.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Like I said previously, I struggled with the compressor cycling even with AC button off. Figured out that if you hit auto button it keeps compressor cycling constantly. You have to turn auto off and turn AC button on then off again. This will shut compressor off completely. Any time you push auto you will have to do this to reset compressor.
You can use the AC manually like a plain jane system by doing this. Not sure if it will go to auto mode when you turn dual knob.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the light on the A/C button is not illuminated, but the compressor continues to cycle AND you feel cold air coming through the vents during these cycles, then something is wrong. If you just hear the compressor cycling but you don't feel a difference in vent temperature, then it may just be a setting the vehicle has to keep the compressor lubricated. You may also want to experiment with this a bit and pop the hood to confirm it is the A/C compressor cycling and not the engine cooling fan.

As the system is designed to work, the location the air is blowing is just controlled by opening and closing some ducts to re-route air through the chosen vents, and you can have a/c on or off whether you're directing the air just at your face, or feet, or a combination of both.

If you just want ambient air entering the cab, you need to press the "A/C" button just to the left of the passenger temp knob until there is no light on. The temperature blowing from the vents will then depend on the ambient temperature. If it's colder outside than the temperature you've selected on the control panel, then the system will route the ambient air through the heater core and warm it up. If it's warmer than you want outside, then it will never get as cold as you want it to until the a/c is turned back on.

As far as the auto setting goes - yes, that's the point. So that you don't have to adjust the fan speed yourself. The system looks at your setting and the cab temperature and works to keep the cab at the selected temperature. A lot of people don't understand how auto a/c works and they'll get in their truck on a hot day and crank the temp all the way down to its lowest setting. That makes no sense, because if there's a large difference in the cabin air temp and the temp setting, the system will work as hard as it can to decrease that difference. Turning it "colder" does nothing, except now you have to re-adjust the temperature back to your preferred setting once you get cold. If it's 95 degrees in the cab and your setting is 70, the truck will automatically blow at its coldest setting and full fan speed until that gap in temperature closes and it will automatically level out and hold the selected temp.

Yes, the compressor does cycle by itself with everything off, occasionally when I start the truck it’s in recirculated air and not flow through like it previously was last time driven. I’ve owned close to 50 vehicles, I know how to operate the systems. My Pathfinder and Frontiers had the same controls and none behaved like this one, matter of fact Nissan sent a separate guide in the mail for hvac controls as they must have had many unhappy people.
Is that I see the other member saying his is like mine I’m sure there are others.

Clint

·
Registered
830 Posts
Like I said previously, I struggled with the compressor cycling even with AC button off. Figured out that if you hit auto button it keeps compressor cycling constantly. You have to turn auto off and turn AC button on then off again. This will shut compressor off completely. Any time you push auto you will have to do this to reset compressor.
You can use the AC manually like a plain jane system by doing this. Not sure if it will go to auto mode when you turn dual knob.
Works the same for me..

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes, the compressor does cycle by itself with everything off, occasionally when I start the truck it’s in recirculated air and not flow through like it previously was last time driven. I’ve owned close to 50 vehicles, I know how to operate the systems. My Pathfinder and Frontiers had the same controls and none behaved like this one, matter of fact Nissan sent a separate guide in the mail for hvac controls as they must have had many unhappy people.
Is that I see the other member saying his is like mine I’m sure there are others.

Clint
The ac on the 19’s and up will stay in recirculate mode unless outdoor temps are below 75 degrees or its manually changed to outdoor air...

The owners manual states the system does this to save power...

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU, finally it’s off and staying that way. I appreciate the replies from everyone.

Clint

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that tip, I don’t use auto but will keep that in mind.

Clint

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing I’ve noticed is since the compressor stopped cycling my fuel mileage is 1.68 mpg’s better.

Clint

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I recall correctly, some nissans and other vehicles continued to cycle the compressor once the ac or defrost has been turned on, even if you turn them off via button once engaged. You have to key cycle with everything off to not have it cycle, If it’s on when you key cycle it will stay on even if you turn the buttons off. Not sure why, but there was a reason, it’s been a while since I chased this down so could be wrong too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My compressor never comes on unless I hit ac, auto, or defrost button.
Clint, that's fantastic!

·
Registered
41 Posts
But once you turn it on, does it continue to cycle even after you turn it off via the buttons? Mine will blow cold air regardless of being turned off via buttons until next key cycle with all buttons off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
oh boy! this is one of my biggest peeves about the truck (beside the new short block required). It took me a long time to figure it out. When in Auto the compressor runs all the time and when you switch out even with the A/C light off it continues to run. Stupid truck!

Anyway buried in the owners manual:

"To turn off the compressor, turn off auto
mode, then turn the A/C on then off
until the A/C button indicator is not lit."

So now I always go through the turn on and turn off the A/C after I've used the Auto. Pain in the but but my other Nissan (Rogue) is the same.

I hate A/C and only use it when necessary. In my book if the A/C light is off the A/C should be off. Works like this on every other car I've owned, but I guess Nissan know better! :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts