Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the new 2008 Titans and I am disgusted that the gas p/m have not changed. There is not reason with the current techknowledge for Trucks to have to consume so much gas! Specially when we are not towing anything.
When will the first Hybrid trucks arrive???

David

·
Registered
174 Posts
i have not heard anything about a hybrid titan. The are however going to stick a diesel in there. Diesels are typically about 30% more efficeient than a gas engine. so sould at least get us in the 16-17 city and 23-25 highway. plus it would tow like a monster.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
moulin6801 said:
I was looking at the new 2008 Titans and I am disgusted that the gas p/m have not changed. There is not reason with the current techknowledge for Trucks to have to consume so much gas! Specially when we are not towing anything.
When will the first Hybrid trucks arrive???

David
Not trying to sound rude or anything but ...here goes.....

If you want good mileage, go buy a Prius! Not sure what cheese goes with that "whine" but ITS A FRIGGIN TRUCK! Not too many V8 powered 5500 LB trucks with nearly 400 FT LBS of torque getting 25 MPG!
Hybrid trucks?....geez...need training wheels too? If you didn't need a big truck, you may want to look at the smaller Frontier with the V6.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Sorry David but you asked for it, lol. I dont think we will ever come out with a hybrid truck that pushes over 300 horsepower. Thats almost as dumb as asking when will pigs fly, not something I would hold my breathe for...

But here may be a logical solution for you. If gas prices are driving you up the wall, purchase a new/ used prius or even a moped that pushes 70mpg ! and keep the titan for when you are towing or need the extra space (which Im sure you need sometimes seeing as you did purchase a truck even considering gas prices.)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Not trying to sound rude or anything but ...here goes.....

If you want good mileage, go buy a Prius! Not sure what cheese goes with that "whine" but ITS A FRIGGIN TRUCK! Not too many V8 powered 5500 LB trucks with nearly 400 FT LBS of torque getting 25 MPG!
Hybrid trucks?....geez...need training wheels too? If you didn't need a big truck, you may want to look at the smaller Frontier with the V6.
:cheers: Very well put!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
hmmm...seems like you only bought the truck to say you have one and now regret it. not a smart decision.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Havent heard anything about hybrid ttans but im sure if they ever do make them theyll be the quickest hybrid truck lol:gunz:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not much for Hybrids but GM has had a hybrid fullsize for a couple of years. It has a 5.3 V8 and supposedly gets 23MPG on the highway. I saw one at a local dealership but the price was way too high and the batteries need to be replaced every 5 years or so I think. And thats a huge expense. Not to mention all of the storage space under the rear seat is gone as that is where the batteries are.

·
Registered
978 Posts
with $4 gas and $100 barrel oil just on the horizon, its only a matter of when not if hybrid/electric/hydrogen/alternative fuel/light duty diesel/compression ignition or all of the above trucks will be the norm and not the exception.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nothing wrong with wanting to have your cake and eat it too.
Just not realistic.
It's a matter of priorities. Mine are:
Full size truck
Fun to drive
Looks like a truck should
Reliability
Gas mileage
Comfortable

Titan fit the bill better than the rest. It's a full size truck, is fun to drive, looks good, reasonably reliable (mines a 2007 so it has some fixes), gas mileage is not bad, and fits me well. The Tacoma was a contender but the big strike was that it wasn't a full size truck. The Tundra was not as fun to drive other than the straight line acceleration, the rear seat was claustraphobic with the dinky windows and it was Fugly.

Sure the Titan can be improved to fit individual needs - thats what the mods are for!

I'm going for better tires and True Trac & that's all I need for winter driving - don't need or want 4WD. A tonneau for hauling stuff and I selected my truck's options with gas mileage in mind and the mods I make will keep it in mind also. When a diesel comes out I'll be in line as I'm a big diesel fan. Just because it's 5th on my list doesn't mean I don't care about improvements.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
kman said:
with $4 gas and $100 barrel oil just on the horizon, its only a matter of when not if hybrid/electric/hydrogen/alternative fuel/light duty diesel/compression ignition or all of the above trucks will be the norm and not the exception.
We won't see the average price for a gallon of gasoline at $4 anytime soon. The cost per barrel doesn't play on price the way people think. Just look at the oil price over the last month. It jumped past $90 a barrel and pump prices didn't move. GMs already tried and failed with a hybrid pickup. It simply makes no sense in a full size truck, and the American public proved it. A hybrid 1/4 ton Frontier makes a little more sense than expecting to tow nearly 10k LBS in a full size and getting 30MPG. We just don't have the technology to do that and still have the truck be affordable.

·
Registered
575 Posts
not for nothing but i just drove the hybrid Altima thinking of buying 1 and keeping the Titan just cause i hate where that gas money ends up. Guys we have to face it we have to change how we use fuel. We can not compete with China for it and the price is only going to go through the roof. We can not win a war against oil producing nations (most 911 hyjackers came from S.A.) Can you imagine people walking around saying buy Jap and Nazi products during WWII?? i for 1 would love to do whatever I can to slow down the cash flow to those nations.I get 15-16MPG around town. Any desiel should get at least 20 in town 25 highway or forget it I'm not interested.

A hybrid totally makes sense. Took 1 of my guys 1hr 45 minutes today to go 18 miles. lots of sitting at lights and going slow. No reason why that v8 has to sit there idling. The hybrid i drove dropped the gas motor out totally everytime you started slowing down no reason a truck can't do that. This would be even a bigger boost on a v8 instead of the Altima 4.

There is also no reason weight can not come off trucks. Now the titan is good in this regard much lighter than a Ford. Still with better materials several hundred pounds could be trimmed without compromising strength.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Yes, a Hybrid car can make sense....but only for the reason you mention.....not wanting your money going to oil. You won't save a helluva lot simply because you'd have to drive it a few years before the extra initial cost exceeds the gas cost.
Lighter full size trucks though?......I'm not so sure about that. Not if you're towing anything substantial. But a small hybrid, one that isn't asked to haul a big trailer but can be used to go to the local Home Depot or the dump, may do ok.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get the truck for the hard work and bad weather. Get a motorcycle for decent weather and commuting. My FJR gets around 45 MPG commuting 38 miles a day. That's more than 4 times the mileage the Titan gets going the same route, and on the bike I can use the carpool lane for most of my trip.

It works well with the economy also. I get the best mileage in the summer when gas is the most expensive. The worst mileage is during the fall and winter when prices drop again.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
GM is offering a hybrid Tohoe that should be out in a few months, supposidly thier going offer a hybrid half ton using the same technology within a couple years. The Tahoe Hybrid uses the 6.0 V8 and still maintains its towing capacities, but gets 25 MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
BigA said:
GM is offering a hybrid Tohoe that should be out in a few months, supposidly thier going offer a hybrid half ton using the same technology within a couple years.
Exactly. Hybrid is obviously the way to go, so Nissan had better catch up. Of course, they'll be fighting all these uber-machismo men who equate fuel efficiency with "ghey"

·
Registered
57 Posts
matthews said:
Exactly. Hybrid is obviously the way to go, so Nissan had better catch up. Of course, they'll be fighting all these uber-machismo men who equate fuel efficiency with "ghey"
You really have to do the math (not fuzzy math) to see if hybrid vehicles are actually saving you money or just another marketing hype.

So with a hybrid vehicle you might get double your gas milage... but:
- Your initial cost is higher
- Your maintenance fees are higher
- Your dealing with a technology not perfected yet

My step uncle is big into the 'environmental movement (see also: latest trend for yuppies) and bought two priuses for his wife and him. A year later they returned both of them for two camarys. The hybrids broke down so much that it just wasn't worth it.

Honestly - if you want mpg buy one of the greatest cars ever made - the Geo Metro 3 Door. Near 50mpg on a 3cyl engine. Sure they're not luxury and you won't be towing anything with them but for running errands around town you can't beat it. I'm in the market myself for one of these little gems.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
beermunk said:
You really have to do the math (not fuzzy math) to see if hybrid vehicles are actually saving you money or just another marketing hype.

So with a hybrid vehicle you might get double your gas milage... but:
- Your initial cost is higher
- Your maintenance fees are higher
- Your dealing with a technology not perfected yet

My step uncle is big into the 'environmental movement (see also: latest trend for yuppies) and bought two priuses for his wife and him. A year later they returned both of them for two camarys. The hybrids broke down so much that it just wasn't worth it.

Honestly - if you want mpg buy one of the greatest cars ever made - the Geo Metro 3 Door. Near 50mpg on a 3cyl engine. Sure they're not luxury and you won't be towing anything with them but for running errands around town you can't beat it. I'm in the market myself for one of these little gems.
exactly the point! Hybrids are a bandaid for the auto manufacturers. As technologies improve they will come out with better alternatives. Hybrids are dangerous with high voltage lines that could kill you fast. They don't get better gas mileage on the highway only in the city. Yes where I live I spend more time with my foot on the brake pedal than the gas pedal getting to work but hybrids are not the answer. Battery technoligies are improving, hydrogen fuel cells are getting better... Wait a few more years before going this route.

So.. in my opinion the light duty diesel is the way to go if you want to get an "alternative fuel" truck not a hybrid.

the real answer to our woes is to rely more on carpooling and public transportation whenever possible. I used to drive a 15 passanger vanpool van that got 10mpg but was well worth it cause it took 14 cars off the road, thus saving lots of gas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
cneary812 said:
exactly the point! Hybrids are a bandaid for the auto manufacturers. As technologies improve they will come out with better alternatives. Hybrids are dangerous with high voltage lines that could kill you fast. They don't get better gas mileage on the highway only in the city. Yes where I live I spend more time with my foot on the brake pedal than the gas pedal getting to work but hybrids are not the answer. Battery technoligies are improving, hydrogen fuel cells are getting better... Wait a few more years before going this route.

So.. in my opinion the light duty diesel is the way to go if you want to get an "alternative fuel" truck not a hybrid.

the real answer to our woes is to rely more on carpooling and public transportation whenever possible. I used to drive a 15 passanger vanpool van that got 10mpg but was well worth it cause it took 14 cars off the road, thus saving lots of gas.
Exactly. Follow logic, not trends.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You know that in the future, when there are alot more hybrid vehicles, the government will just charge more tax those who buy hybrids. The government will be losing out on billions of dollars in road tax that you pay at the pump. Think the hybrid owners are saving money on gas now? Just wait till more people are using hybrids and the government taxes them. Hyrbid owners won't be saving any money. The government isn't to save the enviorment and lose billions. It is already being talked about by officials.

Quote from Washington: "WASHINGTON -- Taxing hybrids and other fuel-efficient cars and billing drivers for miles driven are among the approaches being suggested to avert a shortfall in money to maintain the nation's highways."

So would a person rather have a crappy looking, bad pickup, hybrid truck and pay the same amount in fees and tax as the guy that has a badass Titan?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts