Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I've recently installed the Hypertech E-Con (economy tuner) in my 2005 Titan and experienced a DROP in fuel economy.

First, let me go on record as saying that, in an attempt to squeeze every drop of fuel, I have been driving like a little old lady for several months now. I had hoped that the E-Con tuner would help but, but since retuning with the Hypertech E-Con tuner, my in-town mileage dropped from around 14-mpg to 12-mpg with no other changes

Have any of you guys seen this kind of result?

FYI… When I spoke with their tech support crew this morning, I was told that the tuner "does not make any changes to partial throttle settings" and that "all of our settings change is the fuel map and spark curve at the wide open throttle position"

Translation: I just spent $329.00 to change my wide open throttle settings (which I never use) and somehow it’s negatively impacted my around town (partial throttle position) mileage

My truck has the K&N full intake, Airrade throttle body spacer and Banks 3" diameter "Monster" exhaust with a "Ultra Quiet" resonator added

What do you guys think? Have any of you experienced anything similar? Like I said, my driving style has NOT changed - the only change is the retune using the Hypertech E-Con

THANKS for any input you can offer!

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
I told people a long time ago they would be happy that Hypertech offers a 30 day guarantee.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<grin> how true!

I was hoping that I was not alone on this one... I could not get a straight answer from tech support regarding what impact my other mods had on the Hypertech programming.... I got the feeling that I was speaking with a (very) young guy who really didn't have a firm grasp on the specific changes their tuner makes..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Heck...I get 12 now if I'm lucky. Tell me more of how to quiet this too loud Banks system. Kids love it but it's just a bit too loud for me....so whats this "super quiet" resonator and where did you get it?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I told people a long time ago they would be happy that Hypertech offers a 30 day guarantee.
yeah because everybody knows that the almighty bullydog unit does everything sooooo much better! they are pretty much the same exact thing and have almost identical results, i have seen posts of people that gained nothing or even lost a small amount of mpg with the bd too. you had great results with your bd and so have others but some have not. that doesn't mean that they're junk. me, myself i have had great results with my hypertech and have even gained just shy of 2mpg with my maxenergy tuner. that's the downfall with a handheld generic tuner is that they don't work well on every single truck. and if the poster is so unhappy with it then send it back and try another unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Banks 3" "Monster" exhaust was pretty loud and the in-cab droning in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range was really annoying. On the advice of a fellow Titna Forum Member, I installed the Vibrant Performance brand "ultra quiet" 3" resonator. Here's a link:

Vibrant Performance ::.

I installed it way at the back of the system, just before it turns to exit behind the rear tire (I guess you'd say it was next to the spare tire)

THe difference was astounding. Its still got the low rumble, when you hop on the gas it still has a nice bark too. but that low frequency drone is 100% gone! I am completly happy with the install and now, love my Banks kit. FYI... I bought my resonator from an eBay seller for around $80.00

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I wish I got 12MPG!

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
i get mid 10's - mid 11's in town no programmer. i got almost 13.5 on the highway this past week

1 - 8 of 8 Posts