Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a somewhat useless knowledge fun fact. Especially to any of you new Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 Turbo owners with an automatic transmission.

Transmission type
A5SR1

Engine type
Gasoline 2.0 TCI
Came across this rather useless fun fact that the new Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0turbo comes equipped with the A5SR1 5spd Automatic Transmission.

Apparently, the Nissan RE5R05A 5spd automatic transmission found in the Nissan Titan, 350Z... is the same exact transmission as the Hyundai AS5R1 5spd Automatic transmission.

Notice below are the same gear ratios 1st thru 5th as the RE5R05A.

Hyundai AS5R1
Gear ratio:
1st: 3.827
2nd: 2.368
3rd: 1.519
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.834
Reverse: 2.613

Final gear ratio: 3.909

2004 - 2008 Nissan Titan
Automatic Transmission
RE5R05A
1st: 3.827
2nd: 2.368
3rd: 1.519
4th: 1.000
5th: 0.834

This is a quote I copied from GenCoupe.com

"Hyundai's subsidiary Powertech makes A5SR1 transmission for a fact.

Jatco lists Hyundai Powertech as one of their main customers.
JATCO Ltd ||| Corporate Information |||

As of March 2003, Powertech began manufacturing A5SR1.
It's based on Jatco's design. 90% of its parts are made by Powertech and the rest are made by Jatco.

So Hyundai did copy Jatco's, which is Nissan's subsidiary, design legally?
Yes, Hyundai Powertech Licensed"

Well looks like the Hyundai Genesis owners are gonna join the Transgo clan!

·
Registered
795 Posts
The RE5R05A is found in a lot of other nissan and datsuns....especially japanese models. The trans are good but are a b!tch to work on b/c almost everyone of them have valve body issues and the valve body alone is around $1,000. Doesnt make for a good parts percentage from a business stand point. I dont see to many titans, mainly the infininty G35's that share the same trans as us. They have an issue with the radiator coroding and the ATF getting contaminated by coolant. tears the trans up quick and destroys the valve body even quicker.

Just a heads up for people with aftermarket warrantys. Most of the time they wont provide enough money to cover the cost of a trans rebuild along with the replacement of the valve body. When this happens the warranty companies try to compare the price of overhauling the trans the right way with installing a used one. The shop performing the work should notify you and give you a choice in either letting the warranty company install the used trans or you coming up with the difference in what they will pay for a used one and what a complete overhaul will cost. Always (if you can afford to) go for the overhaul and ask for a complete parts list of what was replaced.

Also with these trans, (depending on the vehicle) an external cooler that completely seperates the trans from the raidator is a good idea, they just look a little rediculous if you dont put them on right.

·
Registered
266 Posts
hmm. Sounds good to me. I just sent my VB to IPT and now my Titan runs like a raped ape. LOL

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The RE5R05A is found in a lot of other nissan and datsuns....especially japanese models. The trans are good but are a b!tch to work on b/c almost everyone of them have valve body issues and the valve body alone is around $1,000. Doesnt make for a good parts percentage from a business stand point. I dont see to many titans, mainly the infininty G35's that share the same trans as us. They have an issue with the radiator coroding and the ATF getting contaminated by coolant. tears the trans up quick and destroys the valve body even quicker.
Yeah this is true, thats why I bypassed my internal trans cooler and put an aftermarket trans cooler in conjunction with the factory auxillary cooler. It stays sooooo cool and no worries of overheating or any leak contamination.

Uprev just needs to hurry up lol and come out with the firmware/software to reflash the TCU so our trans will shift better overall and be more reliable.

Its a strong trans from the factory, the number 3 clutch band/pack is the weak link from my readings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts