Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 04 Titan 2WD King Cab with an exhaust leak. The dealer said it was probably a gasket and would not cost much to fix. I thought it was probably more than that but I really liked the truck and only paid $8500 so I thought even if I spent $1000 I would still be in good shape.

Here is the truck: Nissan : Titan - eBay (item 220727039742 end time Jan-25-11 16:21:41 PST)

When I get it home and have it put on a rack there is a cracked manifold. Since then, I have lived on this site reading about the manifold issue and various solutions. I was rethinking my purchase, but your online community has me excited about the potential of this truck.

Looking for some advice on the best fix for my situation. I will drive this car for another 4-5 years and only travel 2 miles to work daily. I coach my daughter’s travel softball team and do some running there. MPG savings would be great. I am not mechanically inclined.

My options:

1. Remove cracked manifold and have it welded.
2. Find a used manifold and replace cracked.
3. Replace with short headers.
4. Replace with long tube headers.
a. Doug Thorley $625
i. NISSAN titan LONG TUBE headers by Doug Thorley - eBay (item 110547771016 end time Feb-10-11 21:10:02 PST)
b. OBX $380
i. OBX EXHAUST LONG TUBE HEADER NISSAN TITAN 5.6L 05-08 - eBay (item 150555944890 end time Feb-05-11 16:00:44 PST)

Some questions:

1. Do I need to put in cats after the long tubes? What about the placement of the 02 sensors?
2. Should I skip the cats and go with emulators? Should I skip the cats and just live with the service engine light? What about spark plug defoulers?
3. If I am going with cats after the headers, why not go with cheaper shorties? Is there a significant amount of extra labor to reach the b pipes?
4. It appears there are some problems with the OBX long tubes not fitting properly. If I have them installed by a local mechanic. How will this affect installation costs?
5. Do I need to have it tuned afterward? UpRev? Any other options?
6. What else am I not considering?

MagnaFlow High Flow Cats 94066 $81
Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 94066 Universal Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant): Automotive

Magna Flow High Flow Cats 94035 $77
Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 94035 Universal Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant): Automotive

Found a set of JBA headers and high flow cats (within driving distance) for $550.
Ceramic Headers for 5.6 liter Nissan Titan

Thanks in advance. Hopefully you guys can help with other modifications to my truck.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
How many miles on your Titan?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Just making sure you were past the 8yr/80,000 mile warranty. There are a few used OEM sets floating around for $150-$300. You covered several choices in your earlier post that would work. There are many threads in this forum and over at Club Titan that would be helpful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know in some states, if a vehicle does not pass inspection it can not have title transferred. I do not know if this is true where you bought it. Perhaps it is something to be looked into if 1) that state has that as a law and 2) if a cracked manifold would fail inspection.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I thought only the JBA's would pass smog? Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Ordering DT long tubes tomorrow. Local shop to install for $300.
:rofl: Let the modifications begin!!! :teethmast You do know that the cheapest was to get some good takeoff's, right...

:redblob" but now you're gonna HAVE to get CAI, UP-REV, HF B-Pipes, performance exhaust, etc, etc, etc... LOL, welcome to the Titan Community!!! :hi:

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
:rofl: Let the modifications begin!!! :teethmast You do know that the cheapest was to get some good takeoff's, right...

:redblob" but now you're gonna HAVE to get CAI, UP-REV, HF B-Pipes, performance exhaust, etc, etc, etc... LOL, welcome to the Titan Community!!! :hi:

and the 07 intake is a little better, and of course there are cams. . . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the site I was going to order the headers from today but nobody answered. That kind of concerned me. Is this site legit? View the 2004-2009 Nissan Titan and Armada Headers 5.6L V8 Long Tube Off-Road Only at http://www.dougthorley.com They are priced at $588.64 plus free shipping. Cheapest on ebay is $625 Any other cheaper options for the DT long tubes?

I also got a call from a junkyard for a set of manifolds off of an 04 for $300 delivered. I am still concerned that they will crack in the near future.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That site is legit. That's where most people buy from when there isn't anyone help selling a set.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Not trying to be a di*k but that truck looks rough man. I would've sold you my '06 KC 4x4 SE with Big Tow for $13,500. Already got all the good mods as well, check my sig!!

Edit:Oh wait, i didn't realize they came with tan interiors...Sorry!

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Just a FYI for those that asked... my old titan had a cracked mani and it passed the "sniffer" no prob in nevada....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just making sure you were past the 8yr/80,000 mile warranty. There are a few used OEM sets floating around for $150-$300. You covered several choices in your earlier post that would work. There are many threads in this forum and over at Club Titan that would be helpful.
So is what is the factory Nissan warranty? I just bought a 06 with 55k miles and I believe the manifolds are also cracked. The reason I ask is because I've read 60k & 80k. It would be nice if I can get these replaced on Nissan's dime.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
:rofl: Let the modifications begin!!! :teethmast you do know that the cheapest was to get some good takeoff's, right...

:redblob" but now you're gonna have to get cai, up-rev, hf b-pipes, performance exhaust, etc, etc, etc... Lol, welcome to the titan community!!! :hi:
u ain't kidding lol!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not trying to be a di*k but that truck looks rough man. I would've sold you my '06 KC 4x4 SE with Big Tow for $13,500. Already got all the good mods as well, check my sig!!

Edit:Oh wait, i didn't realize they came with tan interiors...Sorry!
i dont think it looks rough.it is used and has some paint peeling inside but they all do that.it looks good to me .welcome ,another titantalk member in nashville

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So is what is the factory Nissan warranty? I just bought a 06 with 55k miles and I believe the manifolds are also cracked. The reason I ask is because I've read 60k & 80k. It would be nice if I can get these replaced on Nissan's dime.
Manifolds are covered under warranty until 80,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts