Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was playing ball with some friends of mine and 1 of the guys is really into 4x4 and hunting and what not....so i says to him: yeah baby.... I got that 8"CST and 35"s on the way for my toy!!!" BTW 2WD xe King cab BT, just so you know.....he went on to tell me how inferior my rear end was compared to the Ford Excursion. Not knowing what the Fords are using these days, I didnt know what to say..... He went on to tell me with the rear end I have I will snap with 35's. Ive never heard of this but I put alot of faith in what he says......What is the Excursion running (besides away) and why would he assume 35's will tear apart my differential?

·
Premium Member
76,484 Posts
dunno about the rears but ours are dana 40's (i think) based and perhaps manufactured, i'd have to check the history.

tell him to enjoy his excursion when it rusts out where the rear door sills meet the rear quater....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
jasonator said:
So I was playing ball with some friends of mine and 1 of the guys is really into 4x4 and hunting and what not....so i says to him: yeah baby.... I got that 8"CST and 35"s on the way for my toy!!!" BTW 2WD xe King cab BT, just so you know.....he went on to tell me how inferior my rear end was compared to the Ford Excursion. Not knowing what the Fords are using these days, I didnt know what to say..... He went on to tell me with the rear end I have I will snap with 35's. Ive never heard of this but I put alot of faith in what he says......What is the Excursion running (besides away) and why would he assume 35's will tear apart my differential?
Just tell him you could stop,change your rearend out,and still catch him.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Expedition or Excursion? There is a huge difference. The Excursion is a Super Duty frame and drivetrain which is waaaaaaaay more stout than what the Titan runs and most 1/2 tons run. FWIW I don't think 35's will be that bad. IIRC there are others on this site running tires that size. Isn't the stock rolling tire diameter something like 31" or 33" already?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smoke05 said:
Expedition or Excursion? There is a huge difference. The Excursion is a Super Duty frame and drivetrain which is waaaaaaaay more stout than what the Titan runs and most 1/2 tons run. FWIW I don't think 35's will be that bad. IIRC there are others on this site running tires that size. Isn't the stock rolling tire diameter something like 31" or 33" already?
Excursion.....what does FWIW and IIRC mean??

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Smoke05 said:
Where in Suffield are you located? I'm off route 5.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
jasonator said:
Excursion.....what does FWIW and IIRC mean??
FWIW = For What It's Worth

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll jump in just to defend the Excursion. I sold my '04 Diesel to a buddy of mine and have regretted it ever since. It was a beast. HUGE inside and could tow anything like it wasn't even there. I can't believe they quit making them. It's a lot like the Titan story. They were/are the only diesel SUV around and if more people knew how great they were, they would have sold a ton more. Every time I ride in my old one, I say I wish I had never sold it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If your regreting it so much, buy another one.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Early Titans had a lot of rearend failures, but they updated the parts around mid 06. Whole new beefier design on the 08. You could consider the Detroit TruTrac as a worthy upgrade to your stock rear, as many of us have.

Stock tires on the XE are about 31.6" Diameter.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
TitanBlue said:
Early Titans had a lot of rearend failures, but they updated the parts around mid 06. Whole new beefier design on the 08. You could consider the Detroit TruTrac as a worthy upgrade to your stock rear, as many of us have.

Stock tires on the XE are about 31.6" Diameter.
I love my Truetrac for sure...

I would be more concerned with the c-clip holding in our drive shafts and the newer ones were redesigned...

Other than that, the Titan's a beast!

·
Registered
250 Posts
my boss has an 04' excursion he let me drive it one day and you can really fill the pulling power in the pedal it is a monster not really a good idea to compair it to the titan your talking super duty and 1/2 ton trucks so its hard to compair but i love my titan for what i do but the excursion is a bad ride

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
The Excursion was designed as a 3/4 ton truck, so I would
expect it to have stronger differentials than a Titan. No surprise.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah like others have said you can't even compare the two, They are in totally different classes. The excursions are damned nice though. too bad they quit making them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I am sorry but the excursion can take a beating. i don't care what anyone says.

ours is at over 200k right now.

your friend is right. it's a F350 under there. way above the titan.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
well, just to get back on how our Titan rear fends running 35"s... I had zero bad experiences with the stock rear diff or gears running my 35"s... both in 2wd and 2wd... in fact, I'd still be running 35"s except that they take sooooo much fuel to turn them, so I had to downsize to 33"s, and did I ever notice a gain of power too... so much for saving gas...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kitts said:
Yeah like others have said you can't even compare the two, They are in totally different classes. The excursions are damned nice though. too bad they quit making them.
Long story short...Back in 01, I had a gutless 00 Explorer that had an a/c failure the day before I was to go on vacation. The dealer gave me a used 01 Excursion diesel to take on vacation (pulled my boat) while mine was being fixed. That thing would pull an a**hole off an elephant! Couldn't help but rolling down the windows at a stop light just to hear that diesel rumble. When I got back I thought about buying the Excursion but couldn't justify the big $'s. Ended up trading for a 01 Expedition and by 06 it had paint peeling off the hood and rust at the door bottoms. Like someone said...too bad they are rust buckets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts