Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called the Service Dept today where I bought my truck in Iowa. I asked about changing the rear diff fluid myself to be sure it wouldn't screw up the extended warranty I bought from them. (Thats another thread altogether) I have 13,800 miles on my truck.

They stated if I changed it myself, they would still do it at 30,000 miles to be sure it was documented on their computer system. Ok I said, but it won't screw up the warranty? The service guy said "please hold for parts on that question" I replied it wasn't a parts question, but a warranty question. Please hold.....

I get online with parts, and he quotes me $23.XX a quart for the correct diff fluid (Valvoline 75W-140) and states that since I have the limited slip diff, I'd need friction modifier. I told him it's the open diff with the ABLS, he looks it up, and tells me I do have the factory limited slip diff. He didn't know about warranty issues, but gave me the part number for the oil since it's not reasonable to drive 50 miles to get 2.5 quarts of oil from him.

I sighed, sorry I called them.

Apparently I have a limited slip factory diff, the parts guy knows the answers to my warranty questions, and I have to pay them over twice the going retail price for fluid or my extended warranty is void.

I really enjoyed the sales department at this dealership. I should have paid cash, and ran out the door.

Also, the service guy wants to know why I would want to change the fluid early. I told him the Titans are known to have problems with the rear diff. He didn't have a response for that.

** Am I crazy? **

Is $23.00 a quart reasonable for the rear diff fluid? Do I have a limited slip factory diff? Is the parts counter responsible for warranty questions? Can I really not change the fluid myself without fear of being denied extended warranty claim? :bangit:
If there was a emoticon for shooting myself over this, I'd put that up there instead.

Thanks for any response or sympathy you can provide.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
1. You do NOT have a limited slip differential - at least not a factory one.
2. Buying differential fluid from the deal IS crazy. I bought AMSoil front and rear diff fluid for a lot less than that. $15.15 / qt (plus shipping, but I buy a lot of other stuff at the same time so it's not a big deal).
3. How would they know you changed your own differential fluid? They would have to perform an oil analysis and about all it would tell them is what the viscosity is and it it was synthetic or not. It would likely be very difficult for them to figure out you used something other than a fluid that came from their parts counter.

As long as you're doing the rear differential do the front differential and the transfer case too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the transfer case the same fluid? I've read you can use the 75w-140 in the front. I haven't done much of my own service lately, I used to just change the engine oil in my old trucks, and that was all. I want this truck to last, or at least be well taken care of while I have it.

Also then, I don't need any friction modifier in the diff's do I?

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
1. You do NOT have a limited slip differential - at least not a factory one.
2. Buying differential fluid from the deal IS crazy. I bought AMSoil front and rear diff fluid for a lot less than that. $15.15 / qt (plus shipping, but I buy a lot of other stuff at the same time so it's not a big deal).
3. How would they know you changed your own differential fluid? They would have to perform an oil analysis and about all it would tell them is what the viscosity is and it it was synthetic or not. It would likely be very difficult for them to figure out you used something other than a fluid that came from their parts counter.

As long as you're doing the rear differential do the front differential and the transfer case too.
Go with the AMSOIL as stated...Good Schit. No need for a friction modifier if no limited slip.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
The front differential uses a different viscosity fluid than the rear differential. Use 80W-90 for the front (Nissan specifications). I'm running the 75W-90 AMSoil Severe Gear.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't have an extended warranty, but as long as things are documented (receipts for the oil, log with mileage) they should not be able to hassle you as far as repairs go. That price for gear oil is crazy, factor in gas (100 mile round trip) to pick it up and it really is stupid. I know dealerships tell folks that service needs to be done there to maintain the warranty, just a scam.:teethmast

I can understand that we know the inside and out of our vehicles, at least I try to, but you expect the service or parts dept. to know basics on the vehicles that you would pay them to fix. I've gone in and "helped" the mechanic fix some of my issues, not because I expect them to screw it up, but for some reason I seem to know more about a particular problem than they do. TSB's, problems others have had and how they fixed them, etc... This site it a saving grace for those of us that want things done right.

Edit- there is one older tech that I know does things correctly, if he is doing the repair I have no problem, it is some of the younger guys I worry about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts