Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy gave it to me, he said it makes a low humming noise, but still hits hard and gets loud. He used it like 2 months and bought 2 new subs he likes better. Anyone know what the humming could be? Im not sure how he had it wired up. it's a 2ohm sub with dual voice coils just like this one.

I wouldnt mind having it in my titan, but i need to find out what the humming is about. i dont know much about speakers , so maybe someone can help?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kinda amp did he have it on?
i dont know, ill ask him tomo... i know it was a powerful one. i think he used this 1 sub, then went to two subs and a different amp.

is there any way i can test the sub? without buying and installing everything in my truck? can i hook it to my home stereo ?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
yes u can connect it to a home amplifier... make sure you wire it to 4ohm as i dont think home stereo's like 1ohm

if it still humms/vibrates i think its a goner

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I gave up on my L7s. I have 4 that the cone broke off the coil.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think it might have a blown coil also. i can push the center of the speaker down a little and hear a rubbing noise, i also used a 9v battery, when it moves it makes the same noise. i dont know how he blew this speaker, it's 1000 watts rms and 2000 at it's peak.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Yeah its no good... only Kicker repairs them and they just give u a discount on a new one. Which will come out to be what you see online anyways

He was probably clipping it

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I love my Two kIcker L7's! lol but with my weak azz amp, im sure they won't blow.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
how do they repair them? i tried taking it apart today and it's sealed together.
Guts the softparts and replace them... yea i wouldnt bother sending it in

And building a box for it will be a waste as it probably wont last very long

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I had one kicker L7 in my S10 that I used to have. That thing was nuts. Made my rear view mirror fall off. I cant imagine a 15". I went through a couple but Kicker replaced brand new for free.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok since this sub is fried, im thinking about buying a new sub. i plan to only use 1 Sub, should i got with a dual 2ohm or a 4 ohm sub? i mean if a speaker is 800 rms which ohm do i need to get the most out of the speaker?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Ok since this sub is fried, im thinking about buying a new sub. i plan to only use 1 Sub, should i got with a dual 2ohm or a 4 ohm sub? i mean if a speaker is 800 rms which ohm do i need to get the most out of the speaker?
depends on the amp you plan to use....

If it puts out most power at 2ohm get a Dual 4ohm sub

Most power at 1ohm get a Dual 2ohm sub

1 - 15 of 15 Posts