Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the covers installed on my head/foglights yesterday and they are truly invisible after being put on. I ended up with the 20mm film and I am very pleased.

Before Installation

Plastic before installation

Initial application

Installer heating up the film to make it flex (you can see the film standing straight up from the light)

More parts from the kit

Using the hard card to smooth it out and fix it to the lens

Final results

I am seriously considering protecting the entire hood the same way since I already have a small stone chip on it. I am going to do the rest of the front facing pieces.

If you are planning to do this, I do not advise doing it yourself. It took Rick almost 2 hours to do my lights and he has been doing this for over 2 years. The nice thing is that he comes to your house and does the work in your garage. He also goes to the dealership and applies it before the vehicle is picked up by the owner.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Do they fade after a coulple of years? Are they there just to protect againsta rock chips? I guess i dont understand what its for, inlighten me please :teethmast

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Protection against rocks is the number one reason. They are guaranteed not to fade. I coated them with Rain-X to keep any bugs from sticking as well.+

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good job, rrumaner. Thanks for posting some pics. I'm now thinking about doing the same.

What exactly is it called? Is it the same as clear bra?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
TitanJAM said:
Good job, rrumaner. Thanks for posting some pics. I'm now thinking about doing the same.

What exactly is it called? Is it the same as clear bra?
I am not sure if it is the same as a clear bra. 3M calls it Paint Protection Film. I have also seen it called Clear Advantage.

I paid $45 for the kit and $30 for the labor (2 hours) to have it installed.

According to the flyer from 3M/Scotchguard, this is the same stuff used by NASCAR.

Check out their website: 3M Paint Protection Film

If you are in the Chicago area and are interested in this product, call Richard Anstadt at Body-Skins, Inc. 847-530-8443. He comes to you so you don't have to take the time to drive to So. Elgin and have it installed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
looks great! your lucky the installer came to your house and done a nice job. i was thinking about having it installed on my hood but the only installer is located on another island.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Clearbra

I have had the 3M material installed on two cars and a motorcycle. I strongly recommend you use a professional installer. Given the large surface area on the Titan, I am going to have the following wrapped:

front of mirrors (chrome area)
front of hood hood (probably about 6" back from leading edge)
leading edges of both front quarter panels
headlights & foglights
chrome bumper area on front
lower front bumper (painted area)

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on headlights, foglights or windshields?
A. No, it does not meet the Department of Transportation's standards for optical clarity.

this is from the 3M website FAQ section. i wonder how it will hold up for you. hope it doesnt mess up the light transmission characteristics of the headlights.

just food for thought. otherwise it looks great!

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
goathead said:
Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on headlights, foglights or windshields?
A. No, it does not meet the Department of Transportation's standards for optical clarity.

this is from the 3M website FAQ section. i wonder how it will hold up for you. hope it doesnt mess up the light transmission characteristics of the headlights.

just food for thought. otherwise it looks great!
Well I am using it and haven't noticed any problem with the light transmission characteristics of the headlights.

It is interesting as all the templates that the company supplies contain the headlight covers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts