Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 LE and recently traded for the big tow mirrors - frankly I f'n hate them.

If anyone in the baltimore area wants to give me there LE heated mirrors for my big-tow let me know, I think we'll be able to work it out.

-JOE

·
Registered
928 Posts
WOW! Seriously? The big tows rock, you have no blind spots with it, and living in Chicago with plenty of cars it helps even more. Just parking in lots is a b**cH.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
The regular mirrors are large enough and have no blind spots if set correctly. Most people set their outside mirrors where they see the side of their own vehicle and that is very wrong.

Exterior rear-view mirrors:
As for the side view mirror or mirrors, most people adjust them so they can see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. If you adjust your mirrors using those criteria, are you aware of the huge blind spots that you've created? Essentially, you have created "tunnel vision" to the rear. Your side view mirrors overlap much of what your inside rear-view mirrors sees and you've also created blind spots. What in the solution to tunnel vision and blind spots? Simply adjust the side view mirrors just beyond the point where you could see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. With this setup, you almost completely solve the blind spot problem. It takes a little while to get used to, but it is an improvement.

Reactions: TitanOscar

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Darn why can't you live a bit farther north. I have the exact same truck as you and would love to swap miirors. Unfortunately we can't even do a swap and ship since niether of us can go without mirrors for an extended period of time. Are the ones you have heated and electronically controlled?

·
Registered
928 Posts
You know I never knew that. That is some useful information, I will try that out and definately post how that works for me. I am still trying to resolve the mess of "bumping a bicyclist on the north side of the city.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Oh, and to add to what Sudden said, go buy a small round mirror from Walmart and slap it onto the outside bottom corner of the non big tow mirror. takes a bit to adjust to as well, but solves all blind spot issues completely. I don't know what I'd do without mine. I can see a car that is at my rear quarter panel and almost at the back door. Great for merging onto the highway and while in traffic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tights, I don't know where exactly you are in Mass, but searching craigslist the other day, a guy has a set of tow mirrors in schenectady, NY. I think they were brand new and $200.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Oh, and to add to what Sudden said, go buy a small round mirror from Walmart and slap it onto the outside bottom corner of the non big tow mirror. takes a bit to adjust to as well, but solves all blind spot issues completely. I don't know what I'd do without mine. I can see a car that is at my rear quarter panel and almost at the back door. Great for merging onto the highway and while in traffic.
...x2!!! I've been using those in that same corner on all my vehicles for the last 10-yrs and the difference is night-vs-day.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Darn why can't you live a bit farther north. I have the exact same truck as you and would love to swap miirors. Unfortunately we can't even do a swap and ship since niether of us can go without mirrors for an extended period of time. Are the ones you have heated and electronically controlled?
why don't u both pay for fast azz overnight shipping or something??

rent a car for a day....40 bucks if ya need??

-J

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pm's returned....

I just don't like the top part of the mirror, I feel like I can't see ****. I like the bottom part but can't tell how far back somebody is and since I can't see them in the top its not working for me. Hell I was backing my car trailer up the other day and couldn't even see it with the top mirror and the bottom mirror doesn't give me a good idea where the thing really is.

With that said, I'm a Firefighter where I live, drive a fire engine weekly, have a similiar design mirror on the engine as the titan and they work fine, I just don't like them on the titan.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts

I have my top ones set where I can barely see the side of my truck and the bottoms pushed all the way out. I need to see the side of my truck when backing up to know if I am clear of things. Having them stick out slightly doesn't tell me where my truck is and I can't line it up right. People wonder why I am such a good backer, because I only use my side mirrors and rear mirror to back up and I can make it straight every time.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
... With that said, I'm a Firefighter where I live, drive a fire engine weekly, have a similiar design mirror on the engine as the titan and they work fine, I just don't like them on the titan.
If you notice, the top passenger side glass is different.. The big trucks use a convex glass so you can see more in the mirror with a "objects are closer than they appear" warning on them... It kinda peaves me a little that Nissan didn't do that... Also, the passenger mirror on the big trucks are sticking out straighter whereas the Titan's is angled back quite a bit more than I'd like it to be.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The regular mirrors are large enough and have no blind spots if set correctly. Most people set their outside mirrors where they see the side of their own vehicle and that is very wrong.

Exterior rear-view mirrors:
As for the side view mirror or mirrors, most people adjust them so they can see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. If you adjust your mirrors using those criteria, are you aware of the huge blind spots that you've created? Essentially, you have created "tunnel vision" to the rear. Your side view mirrors overlap much of what your inside rear-view mirrors sees and you've also created blind spots. What in the solution to tunnel vision and blind spots? Simply adjust the side view mirrors just beyond the point where you could see the side of the car on the inside edge of the mirror. With this setup, you almost completely solve the blind spot problem. It takes a little while to get used to, but it is an improvement.
Agreed. I've adjusted mine to where I can see the whole road, I think the non-tow mirrors are sufficient. The only reason why I would get the big-tow mirrors is for looks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hated the BigTow when I first got them on my 2007 LE CC. But after having it for three years and towing my boat nearly every week-end. I love them, glad my PRO-4X has them also.

My wife has a 2010 Pathfinder that I drive during the week, I'm always fiddling with the mirrors, there just no comparison to the BigTows.

If you to often, you'll soon love the BigTow mirrors...

John

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I love my big tow mirrors, just hate parking on campus next to a HD with the same style mirrors.

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
welcome to mirror talk :lol:

I'm up near Philadelphia and would swap out my LE mirrors for big tow.

There is a meet planned for MVP Titans in december and january local to you. If I can attend and your mirrors are still available would you want to swap there?

Let me know :cheers:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know I might get flamed for this but, I have a 05 LE 4x4 KC non big toe and I am looking for the clamp on, strap on cheapo mirror extensions. Does anybody have any sources for such a thing? I have not looked real hard for them on the internet yet. I like the non big toe mirrors for daily driving but would like a little extra when pulling a camper.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts