Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brand new '05 Titan SE 4x4 KC was my 3rd Nissan truck, I had a '86.5 SE V6 4x4 KC Hardbody and then a '95 XE V6 4x4 KC Hardbody. The '95 was not the truck the '86.5 was, and the Titan has proven to be not the truck the '95 was. Each Nissan product I have owned has been of lesser quality.

I was trying to think this morning what all my issues have been, here goes
ALL WITHIN THE 1ST YEAR
- Nissan lost my truck on a train and delivery was more than a month late
- over inflated tires from factory caused all 4 to be replaced, 18" were on 1-month back order so dealer was forced to put a set of 17" on my Titan
- major leaks from connection between tranny and transfer case, took months to get fixed
- rear pinion seal failure, rear diff leaking
- front pinion seal failure, front diff leaking
- power steering line failure, more fluid leaking
- front brake TSB due to warping rotors
- dead battery, replaced, Nissan covered nearly none of the cost
AFTER 1ST YEAR
- check engine light, some type of air sensor failure
- not coming all the way out of 4WD, front U-joints and drive shaft replaced
- check engine light, vacume valve failure
- tranny cooling lines failure, more fluid leaking
- second power steering line failure, more fluid leaking
- rear diff leaking, replace pinion seal and breather valve
AND THIS PAST SATURDAY
- complete rear diff failure, drive shaft ripped right clear of pumpkin and dragged along the road, later the rear diff was locked up as if the ebrake was on, and it was not; truck has been at the dealer since Saturday, dealer has ordered some parts, but still does not know extent of damage.

I'll be test driving a Tacoma later this week. I honestly don't know what else to say. My Titan does not even have 50,000 miles on it. That list above is more things gone wrong than my '86.5 Hardbody had in 192,000 miles.

UPDATE
I test drove the Tacoma. My review was less than impressive.
I have posted it here - http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/trading-titan-test-drove-tacoma-wow-44917/

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
I love my truck!!

Do you take it off-road??

Sounds like alot of issues with the drive train!

Good Luck with your Taco!!

Hope you don't get one of their lemons!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yep, lemon indeed. I have owned an '04 titan and this titan. My '04 I put 32,000 on it before it got totaled, 0 problems. This one is up to 56k, 0 problems. Good luck with the new truck, they all have their problems.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you take it off-road??
Sounds like alot of issues with the drive train!
The only off-roading I have done is a nice gentle drive across the grass, or the 1/10 mile of dirt driveway my parents have out in the country. In simple terms no, the truck has been a street truck, has towed a load of 5,000 pounds about 8 times and each time the total trip is less than 200 miles.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, lemon indeed. I have owned an '04 titan and this titan. My '04 I put 32,000 on it before it got totaled, 0 problems. This one is up to 56k, 0 problems. Good luck with the new truck, they all have their problems.
Yup, this sums it up, I know lots of people here love their Titan, AS DO I, but the difference is, I have made lots of trips to and from the dealer, and of course, the damn thing has just about destroyed my driveway from all the fluids leaking.

Having experienced the exploding rear diff, I'm just really nervous about owning it past the 60k warranty.

If I do get a Tacoma, believe me, there will not be a day I don't miss the awesome power delivery of the 5.6, what a superb V8, and with the Magnaflow, what awesome music. This is what makes this so hard, I really like so very much about my Titan, but I have lost the faith.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Wow, that's quite a laundry list. I would have dumped it the first year after looking over your list. Other than a loose antenna and brake judder TSB, my Titan feels better today than it did in 2005. Only maintenance I have done is normal motor oil/filter changes at six month intervals. With that said, I just knocked on my wooden kitchen cabinets...lol.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Damn that sucks. Sounds a lot like my 04. Hence why I'm moving up to a new Ram. It is a PITA to go to the dealer for everything, and when out of warranty, something breaks, it can cost a lot to fix. ...I feel bad for the guy who buys the truck after you lol

..But why a tacoma? Why not a Ram/Tundra/F150?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just wiat and buy a dodge when they hit bankruptcy court and a chevy since it wont be long before they need help too. Wasn't your truck a guinnea pig or won some sort of upgraded go fast items?

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Just wiat and buy a dodge when they hit bankruptcy court and a chevy since it wont be long before they need help too. Wasn't your truck a guinnea pig or won some sort of upgraded go fast items?
what do you mean g-pig or upgraded go fast? I'm lost on that one..:ftard:

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
Luck of the draw on any mechanical item you purchase..

Mine has had a few issues but not that many...

Nissan fixed them and that is the difference!!! >>> Service-Service-Service!!!

I am tough on vehicles and for a first year model, i am very pleased with my Titan!!!

Good luck with the Taco...

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Keep da fait. Keep da fait. Keep da fait.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Why a taco why not a frontier it might feel like a smaller Titan?:teethmast
You should give the 08-09 Titans a try, they seem to have a better drive-train than previous models. You are right, if my truck had that many problems or left me stranded on one of my trips it might make me want to change too:teeth:.

·
Banned
206 Posts
This is my 2nd Titan as well as I owned a 04 Armada. Besides the Armada having a few Brake Rotor Warping I have never had to repair anything. 0 repairs - nada - nothing. 100% trouble free and I am not easy on my stuff.
Every Manufacter has its LEMONS - seems you have one. My next truck will be a Titan

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
what do you mean g-pig or upgraded go fast? I'm lost on that one..:ftard:
IRRC i thought his truck won some contest and got some freebies from a manufacter, I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
73,102 Posts
You want one of these?? :lol: Whatever...

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Sorry to read about your troubles-a longer list of issues than I would think is normal or the product of abuse.

You had a lemon for some reason.

Good luck on your next purchase.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wasn't your truck a guinnea pig or won some sort of upgraded go fast items?
Well it was supposed to be, but all Nissan Sport Magazine was able to come up with in parts in 2-full years was just a Magnaflow exhaust. So that and the do-it-yourself airbox mod is the only thing not stock on my Titan.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts