Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the deal... I'm buying a Nissan Sentra GXE 2001 from a friend who as not used it in two years. Both airbags deployed and weren't replaced. I have to pass inspection, the covers are ok but the airbag light is on!

I need to reset it or it will cost me mucho cash for new airbags and module

I found the reset sequence for a flashing SRS light but my light is on permanently.

Any idea folks

What about this ebay solution:

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ACA%3A1&viewitem=&item=320135052280&rd=1

·
Registered
599 Posts
P's Titan said:
do a search on here. There is a reset for it

kinda hard to find info on here for reseting the air bag light on a sentra
do u have a scan gaugeII that might be able to clear the code or just put a picture in front of the light haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
All I find is for blinking light. My light goes on when I put the ignition in "on" position and stays on when I start the car.

Shake it like a polaroid picture!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the indicator suppose to light up briefly when you start-up? I don't mind removing the light. But when I pass the inspection will they give me problems???

Would you trust the ebay thing?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't like the idea of having a car that the airbags have been deployed in the first place...
If the car was hit hard enough to set off the bags, what kind of damage did it do? Is the frame bent/cracked?

You may be able to slip by without a problem with your inspection, but you'll *always* know that the bags aren't in there, and possibly could have saved you or someone else's life.

But, replacing air bags is very expensive...and for good cause - it's about saving people's lives.

Sorry for the rant...I don't mean to be up on this soapbox. Above all, I don't want anyone to get hurt because the bags aren't there.

Good luck.

Psychlone

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you take out the light it could still fail b/c the light is supposed to come on at start up.
A friend of mine took the check engine light out and they failed him.
________
**** Tube

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got to agree with Psyclone. Don't you realize the HUGE liability risk you are taking here. What if you were in an accident and your front passenger went through the windshield! You could loose far more then it costs to get the bags replaced!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I think I figured out how to do it!!! Will put my plan to the test in the next hour and give you guys some feedback.

Enough with the damn whining already. I was driving a 94 Tercel not equipped with airbags for the past 12 years! My grandfather as been driving is 77 Monte Carlo for 30 years now… no airbags!!!! Should I prevent him from driving his car! A large percentage of cars on the road are not equipped with airbags. It’s not even mandatory in most countries.

Perhaps in a few years they'll invent a full body armour and people will refuse to leave the house without it. People will tell you: Are you crazy! You're going to the city with only a t-shirt!!! You'll die for sure! At least bring a gun!!!

The odds of me getting shot while on vacation in California are greater by a 100 to 1 ratio than having my life saved by an airbag!!! Should that stop me from visiting LA??

I always have my seat belt buckled, I don't drink, I respect the speed limits and all codes... that saves lives!!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
NissanSentra said:
Here is the deal... I'm buying a Nissan Sentra GXE 2001 from a friend who as not used it in two years. Both airbags deployed and weren't replaced. I have to pass inspection, the covers are ok but the airbag light is on!

I need to reset it or it will cost me mucho cash for new airbags and module

I found the reset sequence for a flashing SRS light but my light is on permanently.

Any idea folks

What about this ebay solution:

cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ACA%3A1&viewitem=&item=320135052280&rd=1
Even if you did reset it.The light will still come back on because you are not replacing the already deployed air bags.You should go on a Sentra forum and see if they can give you any suggestions, because I know alot of ricers put on aftermarket steering wheels without airbags.But it is illegal!
I always have my seat belt buckled, I don't drink, I respect the speed limits and all codes... that saves lives!!!
Yea except for the code requiring you to have an airbag in your car!If you dont like it then buy an old car that doesn't require one.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
ok now my concerns...

How did airbags deploy? was it an vehicle collision? If so who did the repairs? My guess is that your friend didn't want to spend 1500+ dollars on new airbags so he decided not to put them back in. Are you aware that seatbelts are also 1 time use! 1 accident and they need to be replaced.

Any mechanic that does inspections should look at the whole car and if they discover that there are no airbags in a car that is supposed to be equipt with them will not let it pass.

Yes cars have had no airbags for years but those cars that come with them should have them.

WELCOME to TITAN TALK home of the NISSAN TITAN by the way. I am sure that one of the guys here near you could tow your car to the shop if needed :jester:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts