Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent trip to the dealer and I am now a member of a not so exclusive club. I had noticed a strange noise coming from under the truck at speed and an occasional "shudder" at highway speeds. They found an axle seal failure. As a result my differential is toast. They also noticed rust and pitting on the rotors which has my pads down to the wear bars. All the parts and labor will be covered under warranty excluding the pads. They had to order parts so it will go back in on Friday. I still love the truck but this is a little disheartening. With 25,000 mostly highway and well cared for miles I am a bit surprised. Hopefully I can put problems like this behind me. I don't want to be one of the "another trip to the dealer" guys.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems. Mine goes back into the dealer Wednesday to fix the sending unit they had to order after telling me they stocked the part. Had the drivers rear axle seal replaced at 21000m as well. Now I have some stupid rattle at about 1400rpms that I cannot locate. Its got to be exhaust shields but I cant find any loose. Lord knows the dealer will just say "unable to duplicate" just like they did with the shocks and brake that was grabbing. Sounds like the ps pump is squealing as well, along with a horn that sounds like it has the flu after the random blizzard we just had. One thing after another lol, but I still LOVE my truck!

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Some dealer techs would have trouble diagnosing a flat tire.
Good luck.

·
Registered
989 Posts
A recent trip to the dealer and I am now a member of a not so exclusive club. I had noticed a strange noise coming from under the truck at speed and an occasional "shudder" at highway speeds. They found an axle seal failure. As a result my differential is toast. They also noticed rust and pitting on the rotors which has my pads down to the wear bars. All the parts and labor will be covered under warranty excluding the pads. They had to order parts so it will go back in on Friday. I still love the truck but this is a little disheartening. With 25,000 mostly highway and well cared for miles I am a bit surprised. Hopefully I can put problems like this behind me. I don't want to be one of the "another trip to the dealer" guys.
That must have been a pretty good leak or have been leaking without knowing for a long long time to ruin a differential I would think. Either way, sorry to hear about the problems. At least its covered under warranty. BTW, IMO, I think there are a lot more problem free/minor problem Titan's out there than what this forum makes it seem like. People are much more willing to complain than to write how great their truck has been. I think you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Does anyone know have they fixed this axle seal and rear Diff. problem in the 2009 Models?
Like someone already stated, people only chime in on forums when there's typically something wrong with their vehicle. Only bored losers like me hang around here for entertainment. :bump:

That said, this is really an isolated problem. Many people go with no issues on their trucks, others get lemons. If you go to any other forum for GM, Chrysler, or Ford, you're extremely likely to find many of the same types of posts about crap going wrong with people's vehicles.

If you're on the fence about buying a truck, go test drive the ones you think you like, then decide for yourself which is the best for you. The luck of the draw and the amount of care you give your vehicle will determine if you have these same issues or not. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That must have been a pretty good leak or have been leaking without knowing for a long long time to ruin a differential I would think. Either way, sorry to hear about the problems. At least its covered under warranty. BTW, IMO, I think there are a lot more problem free/minor problem Titan's out there than what this forum makes it seem like. People are much more willing to complain than to write how great their truck has been. I think you should be fine.
Almost every service has been at the dealer and I stressed "check everything" each time. I don't know if they failed to do as I instructed or if there was a major failure between check ups. They have been and continue to be good to me so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I would also agree with your minor/problem free comment. This is my first problem and hopefully my last. I have made hundreds of posts here, this being my first with a bad experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts