Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Maybe someone could help me out. Today it was near 80 degrees (beautiful day!) and I drove roughly 100 miles with my normal driving style (kinda heavy on the gas). And I've been driving around sense filling up with coolant for a week or so now.

If anyone knows if this is the cause for my problem or not. Or if I'm looking at something much bigger.

My coolant overflow is filled completly to the top. And is leaking out onto the ground. The big upper hose into the radiator is strong (pressure filled) as well as the bottom radiator hose.

Now it may be an air bubble..however the truck hasn't over heated all day. Started it and let it sit 4 times today with no issue between driving (the 100 miles). And this morning when I left the house I drove up the street to starbucks, got a coffee, came home, checked my coolant (needed my wallet) so from the start of the day today, my overflow tank was full..about an inch from the top.

I was thinking a thermostat however, if that was the case, wouldn't it stop coolant flow and cause my truck to overheat after a few miles? If partly open, wouldn't that cause me to over heat? I'm not sure if there is circulation going on or not, but I would assume there would be to go from the radiator through the motor, out the motor into the radiator again and excess coolant inot the overflow...

ideas?? :ftard:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
My vote goes to the thermostat. I had one on my Z-28 that was doing that because the thermostat was stuck open. By being stuck open, it wasn't allowing for adequate cooling time in the radiator.

·
Registered
85 Posts
check the cap on the radiator---the spray will show on the engine cover

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have an engine cover (accidently broke) but I did check the cap. No coolant coming out of the cap on the radiator. However my radiator cap has a spring in it, so I'll be replacing that (apparently it's bad?)

And the thermostat..how easy is it to change? Any tips? I know where the thermostat is..I assume if I let the truck cool, once I take the thermostat housing off, coolant will pour out?

-Adamm

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I usually gently clamp the hose with a clamp or needle nose vice-grips before disconnecting it and get something to prop it up into the air with to let gravity do its job. Other than that, it seems pretty straight forward on this engine from what I can tell.

·
Registered
85 Posts
07' stock cap is not spring loaded---pops is right a thermostat can't hurt

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
The caps suck, mine was replaced because it was leaking. Check it first, it is the easy and cheap.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know exactly how coolant goes into the overflow?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
The OEM caps are a POS unless you fork out the $$$ on a NISMO.

The coolant over flows into the overflow through the radiator neck hose whenever enough pressure builds up to force it through there.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm trying to elemenate possible problems. So the radiator cap, well mine has a spring setup. So my system is working then. My radiator overflow is filling up. Only way for that to happen is if coolant is going to the top of the radiator and the cap spring allows coolant flow into the overflow..

Next process is to figure out where the hose on the bottom of the overflow goes to. There are no other leaks, engine is not overheating, and the system has pressure..

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about this..I've been driving the truck for about a week after topping off with coolant. I assume I would have seen a puddle or two of excess coolant on the ground. But could it be I have just too much coolant in the system?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, but the only way the reservoir can overfill itself is if too much fluid was in the system to begin with.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I'm trying to elemenate possible problems. So the radiator cap, well mine has a spring setup. So my system is working then. My radiator overflow is filling up. Only way for that to happen is if coolant is going to the top of the radiator and the cap spring allows coolant flow into the overflow..

Next process is to figure out where the hose on the bottom of the overflow goes to. There are no other leaks, engine is not overheating, and the system has pressure..
Seriously try the cap. Water boils at a higher temp when under pressure, if the cap is not holding pressure that will lower the boiling point of your fluid. Which will make it boil over into the holding tank, then on the ground.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I checked where the lower hose went.. it was pressurized too.. I'm hoping I just have too much coolant in the system. I went down to the truck and the overflow was still full, and I tried to losen the radiator cap, and coolant started coming out right away. So at least the radiator is full and overflow is full and engine is not overheating :)...this could be a good thing, I hope

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seriously try the cap. Water boils at a higher temp when under pressure, if the cap is not holding pressure that will lower the boiling point of your fluid. Which will make it boil over into the holding tank, then on the ground.
Yeah it's $3 at Checkers Auto down the street. So I'm going to buy one tomorrow. Funky looking lil thing but as long as it doesn't have a spring, we're in bussiness. If not, Nissan is 7 blocks down the street.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Helomech has the right solution the more I think about it, replace the radiator cap, not the reservoir cap.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Yeah it's $3 at Checkers Auto down the street. So I'm going to buy one tomorrow. Funky looking lil thing but as long as it doesn't have a spring, we're in bussiness. If not, Nissan is 7 blocks down the street.

That is your reservoir cap, and it is doing it's job. The radiator cap is on top of the radiator is about 4 bucks at nissan.

Helomech has the right solution the more I think about it, replace the radiator cap, not the reservoir cap.
Thanks

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts