Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just to be clear I went and took a pic of the radiator cap. Don't mind the mud all over.

lol I know what the radiator cap looks like

Though to this day, still have no idea what this paper bag like material was on my cap a few weeks ago.. After being sealed in place for the last 20k miles!

·
Registered
12,754 Posts

Though to this day, still have no idea what this paper bag like material was on my cap a few weeks ago.. After being sealed in place for the last 20k miles!

I thought you did, just wanted to take any confusion out completely.

Don't know what that is, unless it is something from inside the cap.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah I'm curious though tomorrow when I go to the autopart store to see if that's really what the radiator cap looks like.

I think it was probably just part of the cap on the inside? Cap was on there for the last 20k miles. No issues. I remove the cap to fix that lil hose right there and now i have problems. Wouldn't surprise me if that paper like material has something to do with the cap!

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Yeah I'm curious though tomorrow when I go to the autopart store to see if that's really what the radiator cap looks like.

I think it was probably just part of the cap on the inside? Cap was on there for the last 20k miles. No issues. I remove the cap to fix that lil hose right there and now i have problems. Wouldn't surprise me if that paper like material has something to do with the cap!
My cap started leaking at about 25k miles. I had fluid all over the top of the engine, replaced the cap, and no problems. My dealer gave me the cap for free, I just gave them the old one back.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My cap started leaking at about 25k miles. I had fluid all over the top of the engine, replaced the cap, and no problems. My dealer gave me the cap for free, I just gave them the old one back.
..and they gave the old one to me! :ftard:
Maybe I'll try the dealership first and see if I can't get a free one. However the dealership I go to would cost more in gas than just going to the autopart store. The one up the street, they are D!CKS!!!

·
Registered
908 Posts

Adam, I could be wrong but when you have a blown head gasket one of the signs is a milky/greasy residue on the underside of your oil fill cap. That looks scary to me... Not your oil fill cap but I've never seen sumfin like that pic. Use a turkey baster and get your coolant level right. Check your lower reservoir hose for leaks, cracks, clamps, etc... Replace the radiator cap, reservoir cap, and thermostat. All can be done for under $50... Good luck bro.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Been through 2 radiator caps myself.. Same symptom. Sweet smell and a mess on the VK cover. Is the Nismo cap any better?

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Adam, I could be wrong but when you have a blown head gasket one of the signs is a milky/greasy residue on the underside of your oil fill cap. That looks scary to me... Not your oil fill cap but I've never seen sumfin like that pic. Use a turkey baster and get your coolant level right. Check your lower reservoir hose for leaks, cracks, clamps, etc... Replace the radiator cap, reservoir cap, and thermostat. All can be done for under $50... Good luck bro.
I've smelled the exhaust, no white smoke, and the oil cap is fine. No oil in coolant either. Thankfully LOL cause a headgasket on this truck blown out I'm sure would cost a bit of bucks!!

Yeah I have NO idea what this stuff could be LOL the mystery residue.. Here's a few other photos I snapped of it.

lil leak I had but fixed with a screw clamp
Thankfully to this day, no coolant coming from that area and everything is clean!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Upper and lower hose have pressure and your tank is full. You have too much fluid in there and no air in the system. You can replace all the caps you want but you still have too much coolant and something will give.

Don't buy a spring loaded cap for the radiator.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What about this..I've been driving the truck for about a week after topping off with coolant. I assume I would have seen a puddle or two of excess coolant on the ground. But could it be I have just too much coolant in the system?
Well how much did you put in the resevoir when you 'topped off'? Did you go to one of the fill lines, or completely fill it? If you filled it all the way, yeah it's gonna leak out because it's expanding when it gets hot.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
X2 on too much coolant. If your head gaskets were going would you not see oil in the coolant? If your coolant is clean and there is pressure then probably just too much coolant. Is it full like that when cold as well? Either way...remove coolant until you are below the max line on the overflow reservoir and if it doesn't leak and overflow then you know you solved the problem. I can't see that hurting anything.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I'm going to go downstairs and see what the coolant level is in the overflow tank. Then see if there is coolant visable in the radiator. I'm also going to buy a new cap for the radiator ($3 just to be safe). Then I'm going to run the truck in the parking lot for about 30 minutes or so and watch the overflow tank. Be back in an hour or two!

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Alright so I went down and bought a new cap for the radiator. Looked at the coolant level, the overflow was still full to the top..well about 2'' from the top. I put the new cap on and turned the truck on, I felt some air bubbles in the upper rad hose. I was parked on a hill upwards so that helped I'm sure. When I put the new rad cap on I couldn't physically see coolant in there. However I know there is coolant from yesturday when I opened it up a little and a nice stream of coolant was cmoing out. So anywho I went for a drive. Hard on the gas and high RPMs. it's about 75 degrees outside. And no overheating. Got home, overflow was filled to the top and a little coolant was coming out.

So I got a turkey baster and in a couple hours after it cools, I'm going to drain the coolant out of the overflow below the max line and go for another long drive.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
we shall see! I'm going the easy way first with the baster and draining the coolant out. If it fills up again, I'll do the thermostat. Either way this is a stupid problem lol

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
we shall see! I'm going the easy way first with the baster and draining the coolant out. If it fills up again, I'll do the thermostat. Either way this is a stupid problem lol
I have run many vehicles with no thermostat, and never had any problems. Did you over service it?

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have run many vehicles with no thermostat, and never had any problems. Did you over service it?
I think I may have put in too much coolant. A couple weeks ago I went to replace a clam, so I opened up the coolant system. The overflow was bone dry.And the radiator needed a little coolant. Well I suppose I got an air bubble somehow, got my overheat problem, then I topped it off with coolant. Ran the truck, no problems. But then there were times it'd blow hot air, blow cold air. So I let it cool, next day went out and removed the cap, let the air bubbles come out. There were a lot for 15 minutes! Turned off the truck. Topped off the radiator. About a week or so later, I got this problem. So I'm sure I did just add a lilttle too much coolant into the system. However I don't know what to think anymore..

Oh and my volt meeter..it'll hang about two needles above the middle line, then sometimes fall a needle or two below the middle line, or hang out right ontop of the line.. :ftard:

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I think I may have put in too much coolant. A couple weeks ago I went to replace a clam, so I opened up the coolant system. The overflow was bone dry.And the radiator needed a little coolant. Well I suppose I got an air bubble somehow, got my overheat problem, then I topped it off with coolant. Ran the truck, no problems. But then there were times it'd blow hot air, blow cold air. So I let it cool, next day went out and removed the cap, let the air bubbles come out. There were a lot for 15 minutes! Turned off the truck. Topped off the radiator. About a week or so later, I got this problem. So I'm sure I did just add a lilttle too much coolant into the system. However I don't know what to think anymore..

Oh and my volt meeter..it'll hang about two needles above the middle line, then sometimes fall a needle or two below the middle line, or hang out right ontop of the line.. :ftard:
The system should deal with any air as soon as the thermostat opens. It isn't a closed system, like a brake line where air will be a problem. There is always air in the coolant system. As far as bubbles that is never a good sign. When you say blow cold air and hot air, are you talking about the A/C?

Your volt meter should move anytime something kicks on, like the fans.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The system should deal with any air as soon as the thermostat opens. It isn't a closed system, like a brake line where air will be a problem. There is always air in the coolant system. As far as bubbles that is never a good sign. When you say blow cold air and hot air, are you talking about the A/C?

Your volt meter should move anytime something kicks on, like the fans.
Yeah to my understanding, air moves its way to the top of the radiator, thus being forced into the overflow tank. The air is compressed, and any excess air comes out of the overflow cap. However not many bubbles, at least not enough that I would be worried about. Thermostat is working I believe..all the hoses in/out of the thermostat are full pressurized and get hot.

And cold air when the heater is on. It was cold as hell awhile ago and turned the truck on, blowing hot air after a few minutes, stood outside the truck, chit chat, then left to go home, a few minutes after driving the air coming out was cold..not super cold but I wanted heat, not natural air lol and then a few minutes later it started to get warm again. Thats also when my temp guage had a spike in temp, but never got close to overheating.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Any air in the system will be purged at operating temp when coolant starts to flow. That is what the cap on the over flow tank will do. Get some coolant out of there and even take too much out. Then run the truck and let the coolant level fall where it wants. if you have to add some add it at the overflow tank and don't over fill past the MAX line. You may or may not need to add more.

These engines (all water cooled engines) are designed specific to run with a Thermostat so no telling what will happen if it sticks open. Remember though the T-stat will be open even when you shut off the truck. The pressure will build and push coolant to the overflow. T-stat stuck open or not your over flow should never be full to the top.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts