Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, at 42,000 miles, filling my gas tank is like playing a game with the tank. I put it gas in and 20 percent of the time it spits it back out! All over the side of the truck and on my shoes. Is anyone else having this problem and what did you do about it?

2005 XE

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
This has been a topic around here. It's pretty random as to who has this issue and who doesn't. My '06 has never refused a drink.... ever. Some say it's the pump nozzle. Some say it is the filler neck. I don't recall a solution being offered to date. I would recommend talking to a service tech or manager at your local dealership. This occurrance is fairly widespread, although selective, amongst our Titanship. See what they say.... :dunno:

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
If the pump stops a few times without spewing gas, it's the pump nozzle. I never had gas spill out, just the pump would shut off at certain stations.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a Ford Crown Vic that did the samething and it's a pain in the @#S! It was not the pump nozzle because it didn't matter which pump I used. The problem was the fuel tank vent was not venting properly and apparently the air displaced in the tank by the fuel going in was trying to come out of the filling tube at the same time. Try checking the fuel tank vent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My '65 Tempest likes to play a little game. You can fill it up quite fast to 20 gallons. You can continue to fill it up fast for the next two gallons, but it's all coming back to you at a high rate of speed. It will belch out a substantial amount for a good two to three feet. Quite impressive to see the reaction of the unsuspecting...

Anyways, as long as you top it off slow for those last six gallons, and give the air in the tank time to disperse through the filler neck, it's fine. It was built in the days before vented tanks. All that air in the tank has to go somewhere when your pumping. Sounds like your truck can't get rid of it fast enough, so you get the pressure belches. May be the pump, may be your own tank. Easiest workaround is to just level off at the 3/4 full mark and give the tank a chance to breath. Then ease up to the full mark at a slower rate.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Mine did this for the first time the other day. It must have been the pump, because it was the first time I filled up at this gas station.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had to fill my tank up really slowly once because the gas wouldn't flow down quickly enough. But the most annoying thing that happens to me is a loud whistling noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had the same problem. It took me 10 minutes yesterday to pump gas because I had to fill it so slow! Every time I pumped it faster I got sprayed with gas. I wish someone could come up with the answer to this riddle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after weeks of experiments I've come up with certain pumps being the problem. I've filled up at two different stations and it happens at station A everytime! Never happens at station B. I dont quite know the tech reason but if I'm wearing my good shoes and on the way to work, its station B if needed. If this is my only problem than I'm doing just fine. Thanks for the feedback everybody!! :smoke:

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Seems like quite a few things factor in while refueling that makes this annoying problem arise. For me.......it's the flow rate of the pump, the angle of the nozzle, the amount of gas in the tank and if any cute girls drive by during fill-up. When i bought my Titan the tank was slap full of gas and didnt move for like two days!!! I was like cool.....this thing doesnt drink gas bad! LMAO!!!! I guess the poor salesman sat there for 30minutes starting and stopping the pump until it finally got completely full. I have yet to have the patience to be able to fill up like he did for me. Once i hear the noise, i let off the nozzle a little so it doesnt spew out so bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts