Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a car audio novice, but my truck came with an AVIC-Z2 installed and I love it. I bought the truck to tow so a backup camera would be very nice for getting hitched vs. backing up, then getting out and backing up some more and getting out again etc. etc.

I know tha AVIC-Z2 has a reverse camera input, but I don't really know where to start. Some questions:

1. I assume I will need to have a way to tell the AVIC when the truck is in reverse? Will that wire be part of the camera setup or will that be somehing on the main harness I have to find and tap into some wire in the truck?

2. What kind of camera do I buy? Is there a specific place to mount the camera that's best? What's the best way to run the camera wire from the mounting location, into the cab,a nd up into the dash?

3. Anything else I need to know? Is this an involved addition or something that's relatively easy plug n' play since the AIVC is already installed. FWIW I have the bluetooth/Ipod module and the XM receiver installed as well.

Thanks,

Brian

PS - For reference I've built motors, race cars, and have no problem taking interiors apart etc. etc. Just never been into car audio.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I need a Pioneer ND-BC2

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I'm a car audio novice, but my truck came with an AVIC-Z2 installed and I love it. I bought the truck to tow so a backup camera would be very nice for getting hitched vs. backing up, then getting out and backing up some more and getting out again etc. etc.

I know tha AVIC-Z2 has a reverse camera input, but I don't really know where to start. Some questions:

1. I assume I will need to have a way to tell the AVIC when the truck is in reverse? Will that wire be part of the camera setup or will that be somehing on the main harness I have to find and tap into some wire in the truck?

2. What kind of camera do I buy? Is there a specific place to mount the camera that's best? What's the best way to run the camera wire from the mounting location, into the cab,a nd up into the dash?

3. Anything else I need to know? Is this an involved addition or something that's relatively easy plug n' play since the AIVC is already installed. FWIW I have the bluetooth/Ipod module and the XM receiver installed as well.

Thanks,

Brian

PS - For reference I've built motors, race cars, and have no problem taking interiors apart etc. etc. Just never been into car audio.
This is on one of my "to do lists"!

A couple things about installation on the outside.
1. Pick a camera that's waterproof and has a field of vision that meets your needs. I also recommend night vision. Good resolution is a must.
2. Run the cable with the main wiring harness. Mine was along the passenger's side.
3. You will have to tap into the reverse wire at some point.

Show us the results!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where's the reverse wire? Can I tap into the wire that turns on the reverse lights? I assume it gets power when the truck is shifted into reverse no matter what... right? Where does the main harness enter the cab? Through the firewall?

EDIT: It definately needs to be waterproof for when I'm launching my jetski.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i ran the wire under the drivers side bed and entered the cab through the gromet that is behind the drivers side back seat . once inside run it under the floor plates ,behind the dash to the radio. tap into the reverse wire behind the passenger side kick plate . ( 3 prong plug . its the green/white wire )
Im using the Boyo vtl425 . Great picture and angle . good at night also

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's a "floor plate"? How much of the interior do you have to remove to do a good job of it? Am I going to have to take all the seats out and some of the trim to get the carpet out?

·
Registered
372 Posts
no carpet,no seats. Floor plate is the 3" strips on the floor where your door closes up against. just pop them up and you could run the wire right to the dash

·
Registered
47 Posts
Where's the reverse wire? Can I tap into the wire that turns on the reverse lights? I assume it gets power when the truck is shifted into reverse no matter what... right? Where does the main harness enter the cab? Through the firewall?

EDIT: It definately needs to be waterproof for when I'm launching my jetski.
When I installed my backup camera I removed one of the tailights and spliced the power wire to the camera directly to the reverse lights power wire. I ran the RCA cable under the truck to the engine compartment and came through one of the grommets on the firewall. This was a pain in the *** but I didn't know about the grommet in the floor. I have the camera attached to a Garmin Nuvi 5000 GPS which is one of the few GPS units to have a video imput. When I put the truck in reverse, the GPS automatically switches to the backup camera. I can now hitch up my travel trailer by myself in one shot.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Another newbie --trying to plan a backup camer install and can't find the grommet behind the back seat (drivers side) and I haven't seen a grommet under the hood where I could get thru the firewall -- anybody have suggestions on the easiest ??

·
Registered
260 Posts
Another newbie --trying to plan a backup camer install and can't find the grommet behind the back seat (drivers side) and I haven't seen a grommet under the hood where I could get thru the firewall -- anybody have suggestions on the easiest ??
In my truck (2011 CC) there were grommets on both sides of the rear cab, about 6" from the floor. Pick a side (I used driver's,) run a RCA & wire combo (like $3-5 on Amazon,) RCA with 2 wires in it would be better if you want the camera to always be powered. *Edit: It might be unclear what the wire is for, it's a signal wire to tell your deck to change to camera mode when you shift into reverse.)

There are a few ways to do this: either power your camera with the reverse light - or power it with a wire tapped into your key on 12volt.

If you use the key on 12 volt your camera will always be on and you can likely watch traffic behind you with it while you're driving. If you tap into your reverse light you can only use the camera while backing up.

As for practically running the wire: Whichever side you're running it on - remove the molding and kick panels. Use the wire tunnel by the front seat to run it through - takes a little bit of patience to open it up. You might have to remove rear paneling to get at the grommet on the back wall (and rear seat?) Honestly I'm not sure what you'll have to remove as I had my entire interior out when I ran the wires (for installing sound deadening...) I'd also get some wire loom (split) to run your wiring in to the rear of the truck. I zip tied mine to the frame. It's easier than you think. The hardest parts were: pushing that damn RCA through the grommet (that was a *****!) and finding a suitable place to ground the right camera (ended up using the tail light ground wire...)

Ask questions if you need - I'm sure I missed lots of stuff and I wish someone had been around to answer my questions when I did this...

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
In my truck (2011 CC) there were grommets on both sides of the rear cab, about 6" from the floor. Pick a side (I used driver's,) run a RCA & wire combo (like $3-5 on Amazon,) RCA with 2 wires in it would be better if you want the camera to always be powered. *Edit: It might be unclear what the wire is for, it's a signal wire to tell your deck to change to camera mode when you shift into reverse.)

There are a few ways to do this: either power your camera with the reverse light - or power it with a wire tapped into your key on 12volt.

If you use the key on 12 volt your camera will always be on and you can likely watch traffic behind you with it while you're driving. If you tap into your reverse light you can only use the camera while backing up.

As for practically running the wire: Whichever side you're running it on - remove the molding and kick panels. Use the wire tunnel by the front seat to run it through - takes a little bit of patience to open it up. You might have to remove rear paneling to get at the grommet on the back wall (and rear seat?) Honestly I'm not sure what you'll have to remove as I had my entire interior out when I ran the wires (for installing sound deadening...) I'd also get some wire loom (split) to run your wiring in to the rear of the truck. I zip tied mine to the frame. It's easier than you think. The hardest parts were: pushing that damn RCA through the grommet (that was a *****!) and finding a suitable place to ground the right camera (ended up using the tail light ground wire...)

Ask questions if you need - I'm sure I missed lots of stuff and I wish someone had been around to answer my questions when I did this...
Thanks for taking time to shore this information -- I found the grommet on the drivers side and followed the main wire harness up the passenger side. I need to see if my 2006 has the passenger side grommet and I'll probably follow up that side just so I can zip-tie the camera wire to the maine harness ..

It looks like the grommets are like the size of a cigarette in diameter -- ist that why you suggested the RCA jumper to go thru the cab wall ??

I'll keep you up-to-date on my success--

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for taking time to shore this information -- I found the grommet on the drivers side and followed the main wire harness up the passenger side. I need to see if my 2006 has the passenger side grommet and I'll probably follow up that side just so I can zip-tie the camera wire to the maine harness ..

It looks like the grommets are like the size of a cigarette in diameter -- ist that why you suggested the RCA jumper to go thru the cab wall ??

I'll keep you up-to-date on my success--
Either the grommets in your year Titan are much, much smaller - or you are using a different grommet... I'd say the ones I'm talking about were ~3/4" in diameter, but with the RCA it was pretty tough to get through... Not sure what you're saying in your last statement...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts