Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my front coil overs kinda look like they could be leaking around the bottom of the shock/spring. I have a front set of Icon's I bought from PRG a while back for my 2WD Titan. I was changing the oil this weekend and noticed the tell tale sign of fluid/oil on the spring and bottom of the shock. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to what I am describing? Maybe you 4WD guys have? They are nitrogen filled correct? And i'm sure they have some sort of oil to help the dampening too?

If anyone has any suggestions let me know please!! :teethmast

·
Registered
372 Posts
My front drivers side was leaking , sent it to Icon they rebuilt it and sent it back

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you didn't contact PRG if you bought them from him? Did you have to pay them for the service? Both of mine are leaking it appears. Not really what I had in mind when i bought these things for a pertty good chunk of change. If it were just one it would be a little bit more acceptable.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I contacted Greg and he gave me Icons # to get them repaired . Only thing that sucks is your truck is on Jack stands till you get them back, unless you have something to throw on in the meantime.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I contacted Greg and he gave me Icons # to get them repaired . Only thing that sucks is your truck is on Jack stands till you get them back, unless you have something to throw on in the meantime.
I cant afford that much down time unfortuantely. I have to have my truck.

What was the turnaround time if you dont mind me asking?

I thought these things would have been a step above OEM quality, I dont think I have heard/read any complaints like this from the folks using the McGaughey's kits. This is a babied 2WD truck too! Id hate to see what a 4WD abuse would do to these things.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I was thinking of upgrading to these too....maybe not. Did you notice a better ride after you installed them over your stockers? My Rancho's stink so I want something that I can feel a difference in. I'm with you in that I baby my T and can not afford for shocks to go bad and have to pay someone to take them off and then send them out. I know my 07 stockers never had any issues before I traded it in. 3 yrs strong.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Mine have just needed the nitrogen topped off a couple of times since I got them in '05. Think they were the second batch they produced for the Titan, (back when they were Donahoe Racing Ent.).

They are a great coilover, and I have roughly 100K miles on mine, and do off road ocassionaly, plus my normal on road commute cycles my Titan's suspension a lot. Since I have aftermarket UCA's, I was going to sell them and get extended travel c.o., but Greg said they can be converted into extend travel by just removing a spacer, when Icon rebuilds them. So I might just send them in after the first of the year. Running my backup set now ... Bilstein HD plus PRG 2.5" leveling kit. They're not bad, way better than stock.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking of upgrading to these too....maybe not. Did you notice a better ride after you installed them over your stockers? My Rancho's stink so I want something that I can feel a difference in. I'm with you in that I baby my T and can not afford for shocks to go bad and have to pay someone to take them off and then send them out. I know my 07 stockers never had any issues before I traded it in. 3 yrs strong.
The ride was pretty good. But now you can see and imagine what kind of headache i am dealing with. Greg says it's not his fault or mine. My setup was kinda custom due to different components. If you have a stock Titan it shouldnt be as bad i assume.

Reactions: rbt

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remember this is a 2WD lowered situation guys. You 4WD guys, this may or may not pertain to you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I cant afford that much down time unfortuantely. I have to have my truck.

What was the turnaround time if you dont mind me asking?

I thought these things would have been a step above OEM quality, I dont think I have heard/read any complaints like this from the folks using the McGaughey's kits. This is a babied 2WD truck too! Id hate to see what a 4WD abuse would do to these things.
Took about a 8 days but im on the east coast.
Must be quicker closer to Cali

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so here is the deal, skinny, low down on the situation.

Both Icons will need to be rebuilt for sure. Icon wants $75.00 a piece for service, plus any additional parts & labor. Then we have shipping on both ways on a heavy package. So...i am guessing I will be spending ~$200.00 at least there.

I picked up a set of McGaughey's front lowering springs for cheap. Unfortunately I tossed my OEM suspension components when I replaced them with these so called upgraded Icon suspension components. To piece together a new suspension system with the addition of a set of Bilsteins for the front will be ~$277.75 plus shipping, taxes and etc. So now the total is up to almost $500.00 out of pocket for the fix.

I could omit the new setup, but I will have around 1-2 weeks downtime from my vehicle. So the only option there is a rental car for that long of a period of time. I am thinking I wouldnt be able to rent a car/truck for two weeks for $275.00 total. Plus I am just not totally satisfied with these Icon coilovers. If the ride quality and dependability are "there" with the Bilstein's and lowering spring from mcGaugheys then I would rather have piece of mind vs. piece of junk.

Greg has been typical PRG customer support with this whole ordeal. Likes to talk alot, but doesnt like to listen to the customer. And that's unfortunate, but he's not the only Icon dealer out there. Sponsor for the site I know, but I am not the only that has had issues with the communcation level from his company. The threads on here show that themselves. I am sure some will think I sound bitter, or maybe even wrong for feeling the way I do but it's the holidays and no one wants to shell out $$$ for something that is supposed to be a premium product. And I know, there are lots of satisfied customers of PRG.......just a case of bad luck I suppose on my part. It's all went downhill fast for this customer.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Find someone local to rebuild them, if you were local I would rebuild them for you I just did one of my radflos yesterday. A jug of power steering fluid and $10 in seals and your set, I found my radflo seals at a local hydro supply shop. Replace the fill port crap with a standard shrader and your set.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Were the shocks exposed to any rock salt (snow melt)?
Thats what Greg told me was damaging the seals causing them to leak .
If thats the case then Icon should man up and repair for free, cause everyone in snow areas are gonna have this problem

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Were the shocks exposed to any rock salt (snow melt)?
Thats what Greg told me was damaging the seals causing them to leak .
If thats the case then Icon should man up and repair for free, cause everyone in snow areas are gonna have this problem
Never sees anything close to that kind of harsh environment.

Funny....PRG has a "response" for these situations and ironically they are never anyone's fault but the owner's. He didnt even want to discuss anything to do with this issue, or any of the questions I had. He said "we will exchange 15 emails and at the end of the day Icon will have to rebuild them regardless."

The funny thing is he told me there is only "1" spring available for this setup, which he said is a 650# spring, yet when i purchased the setup he told me it has a 800# spring. :bangit: Like I said earlier.....he just doesn't want to listen to me.

Icon will be providing me with the technical help I am seeking to make this right. At least someone will offer to help and understand the situation. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have nearly new Icon's on my 2WD 08 and from day one out of the box they squeak like hell and drive me nuts. If I spray some lube on the shaft it quiets up for 20mi then comes right back. Icon told me they now have a "new" seal design that is quiet but also wanted $75 per shock to put in the new seal. I was pissed as they only have 1,500mi on them. Good luck with Icon.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Icon shocks come from Icon, Greg doesnt have a say in what spring comes on the shocks, and you will not find one shock company to cover leaks other then brand new. Greg is right you can talk back and forth all you want end of the day your shock is leaking and will need to be rebuilt, by Icon or someone local, and out of your own pocket. Call king fox saw no one will cover a leaking shock unless it shows up brand new leaking. I can pretty much talk you though the rebuild and there are a few vids on youtube showing rebuilds if you watch those I think almost anyone can tackle a basic shock rebuild, and it would cost you under 30 for both.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts