Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ok that was me..... Oh wait, I don't have a ten year old, mines 16. Ops! j/k.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Encouraging parent! That would be a really cool dad.. ..however...perhaps he should invest in a Ranch or Farm LOL !! Gawd i hope they were in a REALLY deserted area :smoke:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think It is no big deal to let a kid drive. I let my 11 year old drive my truck and that was definitely a big event in his life... The power pedals and a jacket under his rear end made it possible. We live in the country though and have private roads.. It is good quality time for Dad and Son....I think after an experience like that the kid is more likely to have some respect for Dad. The most common practise driving area around here is probably on the ice roads in winter.We get around 3 feet of ice. The thing about the video was that the dad should of coached him a little better on the wonders of power brakes. At first young kids want to crank the wheel back and forth and you got to tell them to watch down the road a ways and keep aiming for the road up ahead... I also think it is not a bad idea that my kid knows how to drive because he is with me quite a bit and if we are ever back in the forest getting wood (and there is alot of forest with little people in Canada)and I get hurt, he could at least get out to find someone.. Just thought I would give my .04 worth. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
dmc601 said:
I don't think It is no big deal to let a kid drive. I let my 11 year old drive my truck and that was definitely a big event in his life... The power pedals and a jacket under his rear end made it possible. We live in the country though and have private roads.. It is good quality time for Dad and Son....I think after an experience like that the kid is more likely to have some respect for Dad. The most common practise driving area around here is probably on the ice roads in winter.We get around 3 feet of ice. The thing about the video was that the dad should of coached him a little better on the wonders of power brakes. At first young kids want to crank the wheel back and forth and you got to tell them to watch down the road a ways and keep aiming for the road up ahead... I also think it is not a bad idea that my kid knows how to drive because he is with me quite a bit and if we are ever back in the forest getting wood (and there is alot of forest with little people in Canada)and I get hurt, he could at least get out to find someone.. Just thought I would give my .04 worth. :)
I was driving motorcycles, tractors and jeeps at 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I started out on a GMC truck complete with 3 on the treeat 7!! My 14 year old daughter got to drive my Titan in 4 wheel drive thru some mud holes and one time on the beach. She loved it!! but she did start out on tractor!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dmc601 said:
I totally understand! For a parent to see their child handling a car or truck is something to remember. But heck man...when he slammed those brakes...I was like...alright...thats it. As for me...my dad let me drive his Boxster and that was an experinece!! LOL

·
Registered
192 Posts
No problem with that video myself. The real problem is parents who throw their kids out on the streets at 16 with little more than the dumb *** driving schools and the minimum hours allowed by law. I let my 4 year old park my titan at some of the restaurants we go to and drive around the farm, sitting on my lap just steering of course. My nephew has been driving Semi trucks around our farm for a few years now.....he's 12 now. IMO, they can't get too much experience driving, nor at too young an age. It will pay off in spades later after they get their license, and they don't have you sitting next to them to coach them along, and that first ignorant driver pulls out in front of them or crosses over into their lane, or they hit their first black ice patch. I think the latest any kid in our extended family has started driving was about 10, and we always have a couple junk cars to drive around the farm for practice. Just my .02, but in that vid I see a father and daughter/son with a close relationship, and in this day and age thats a rather rare thing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I learned to drive at 10 in the desert my daughter is nine and she will learn at ten in the desert. By the age of 14 I was climbing hills in 4x so by 16 I didn't need to learn much. As long as it is in a area where no one will get hurt no problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ridley said:
No problem with that video myself. The real problem is parents who throw their kids out on the streets at 16 with little more than the dumb *** driving schools and the minimum hours allowed by law. I let my 4 year old park my titan at some of the restaurants we go to and drive around the farm, sitting on my lap just steering of course. My nephew has been driving Semi trucks around our farm for a few years now.....he's 12 now. IMO, they can't get too much experience driving, nor at too young an age. It will pay off in spades later after they get their license, and they don't have you sitting next to them to coach them along, and that first ignorant driver pulls out in front of them or crosses over into their lane, or they hit their first black ice patch. I think the latest any kid in our extended family has started driving was about 10, and we always have a couple junk cars to drive around the farm for practice. Just my .02, but in that vid I see a father and daughter/son with a close relationship, and in this day and age thats a rather rare thing.
What happens if you accidently hit something and the air bag goes off?:huh:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I think its a good idea to start teaching at a young age. Way to many teenagers out there that have no clue how to drive. I got my first 4 wheeler when I was 6 and would drive my dads 79 ford ranchero when i was about 10 or 11 when we would be out in deserted areas. I actually went out on the streets a few times when I was onlt 14. I know I shouldn't have done that but I did and never got in any trouble luckily.

·
Registered
192 Posts
boya544 said:
What happens if you accidently hit something and the air bag goes off?:huh:
The chances of setting off the airbag, going 3mph, with me working the pedals has been meticulously calculated to be less of a risk than letting him brush his teeth or eat a hotdog. :futwice:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The best lesson for a teenage driver is to either lose control of the car cuz of driver error...or in other words...driving stupid....and a few rattled nerves. Thats how I was taught. Hydro planning is scary and fish tailing taught me alot of lessons....don't drive stupid.

·
Premium Member
73,291 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
The best lesson for a teenage driver is to either lose control of the car cuz of driver error...or in other words...driving stupid....and a few rattled nerves. Thats how I was taught. Hydro planning is scary and fish tailing taught me alot of lessons....don't drive stupid.

i agree 100%. if you don't know the limits of a vehicle, how can you safely react with it? you should go out and play around in a vehicle and do all the things you feel you need to BEFORE getting on the road. i think part of any driver training should include the skid pad and hydroplane...

hell when it snows i leave my truck in 2wd just so i can fishtale. no i don't do it in traffic, no need for a soap box.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DeadRiver said:
i agree 100%. if you don't know the limits of a vehicle, how can you safely react with it? you should go out and play around in a vehicle and do all the things you feel you need to BEFORE getting on the road. i think part of any driver training should include the skid pad and hydroplane...

hell when it snows i leave my truck in 2wd just so i can fishtale. no i don't do it in traffic, no need for a soap box.
I took my older camry to a open college parking lot at night and played around. There were about 2 or 3 people there teaching their teens how to drive. I was teaching my self something different. I accelerated to 45 and slammed the brakes. To my dismay...the camry wasn't loaded with ABS. Then I started to operate the hand brake and salom thru the parking lot. Again, there was lots of room.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts