Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 SE Titan, with a bunch of upgrades... the truck is awesome... but if you were going to get another truck for towing porpouses, mainly a 8000 pound fifth wheel.... which truck would you get... is one of the diesel engines generally considered better than another one???
I like the looks of the dodge but the new silverado is growing on me... so which truck would you get??

·
Registered
731 Posts
ajensen83 said:
I have an 06 SE Titan, with a bunch of upgrades... the truck is awesome... but if you were going to get another truck for towing porpouses, mainly a 8000 pound fifth wheel.... which truck would you get... is one of the diesel engines generally considered better than another one???
I like the looks of the dodge but the new silverado is growing on me... so which truck would you get??
I'd go with the 2500 Silverado diesel. Second choice would be the F250. You could probably get a better deal on the Ford though. IMO

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The GMC has a more palatable front end style than the "catfish" looking Chevy. GMC is often overlooked. The interior of the Ford is horrible. The dash, door buzzer, and some controls remind me of a Ford Granada. Dodge probably has the best window visibility, but a high dash. Tough call, hard not to be biased. I can speak for their abilities, but reluctantly GM or Dodge would be my other considerations.

·
Super Moderator
93,617 Posts
GMC deisel is better looking than the chebby model. Dodge is old school technology, too much body roll etc...... Ford is just plain ugly IMO

·
Registered
731 Posts
I love my Titan. But, the new F250 Diesel 4X4, looks bas a$$. IMO

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
yeah i think ford has the "built tough" looks but as much as people diss them i dont know... but who knows, i may end up buyin one in december...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
march of next year... if they do make them they should be popping up late march depending on where you are..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
killcatzforfun said:
march of next year... if they do make them they should be popping up late march depending on where you are..
any more details on this truck??? I am sure this has been talked about before but I havent seen it.. what kind of engine... what kind of tow rating???? thanks ahead of time..

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
honestly as far as i know, only the motor will be changed.. in 2011 the truck will be completly re-done and will be 2nd generation.... but thats hear-say if im reading correctly

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've owned 3 Ford diesels in the past and if you want to tow you won't regret it. My last one was an 02 7.3 powerstroke with flip chip and it hauled butt. So if you really want a diesel check out the new Superduty. If not stay with the Titan......

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
If I were to get a diesel, it would be a Dodge Megacab with the new 6.7L Cummins 350hp 650lbs.ft. torque. I would wait a little while just to see if there are any bugs to be worked out as they just upped the displacement. The Cummins engine is proven and is a true diesel engine design in the straight six. As far as diesels in pick up's go, the Cummins engine can't be beat IMO. The 5.9L felt like it had more overall power than the Powerstroke, and D-Max. Also, I'd rather be Cummin' than Strokin' lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah as far as the powertrain department I'd have to go with the cummins, the new 6.7 is basically a 5.9 bored out and with EGR and those new DPF's, so its a tried and true engine design. The new Chevy/GMC's are really nice and you can't beat the Allison tranny, theres just a few things bout the Duramax that I don't like i.e. aluminum heads, glowplugs, and I have heard alot about the EGR valves in them getting stuck. The new fords I really like the styling and interiors, but I definitely wouldn't get one, especially after all their troubles with the 6.0. Plus the 6.4 is supposedly just a short term engine until Ford can come out with their own diesel engine since all that stuff with International and the 6.0.

Anywho, honestly I wouldn't even buy a new diesel because of those new DPF exhaust systems. U can only modify the exhaust from the dpf back, so all your really doin is gettin a sound out of it and not really adding any flow. Plus those dpf systems use fuel to "purge" the filter, so your fuel mileage isn't as good with one of those engines as well. My recommendation honestly would be to get an 05 or 06 5.9 cummins with either tranny, since those engines didn't have the DPF or EGR systems. Another pick would be be any ford with 7.3L Powerstroke, I owned a 96' and it was a beast, sold her with 250k on the clock and not one major repair to it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Wi$h said:
Yeah as far as the powertrain department I'd have to go with the cummins, the new 6.7 is basically a 5.9 bored out and with EGR and those new DPF's, so its a tried and true engine design. The new Chevy/GMC's are really nice and you can't beat the Allison tranny, theres just a few things bout the Duramax that I don't like i.e. aluminum heads, glowplugs, and I have heard alot about the EGR valves in them getting stuck. The new fords I really like the styling and interiors, but I definitely wouldn't get one, especially after all their troubles with the 6.0. Plus the 6.4 is supposedly just a short term engine until Ford can come out with their own diesel engine since all that stuff with International and the 6.0.

Anywho, honestly I wouldn't even buy a new diesel because of those new DPF exhaust systems. U can only modify the exhaust from the dpf back, so all your really doin is gettin a sound out of it and not really adding any flow. Plus those dpf systems use fuel to "purge" the filter, so your fuel mileage isn't as good with one of those engines as well. My recommendation honestly would be to get an 05 or 06 5.9 cummins with either tranny, since those engines didn't have the DPF or EGR systems. Another pick would be be any ford with 7.3L Powerstroke, I owned a 96' and it was a beast, sold her with 250k on the clock and not one major repair to it.
My dad has the 05 Dodge and my stepdad just sold the 7.3 Powerstroke. Good trucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts