Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please list the following things if your truck vibrates...

Year
Non-XD or XD
Trim Level (S, SV, SL, Pro4X, Platinum)
2wd or 4wd
Single cab, extended cab, or crew cab

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
couldn't we just keep this information in one thread instead of starting another one?

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/2016-titan-general-forum/399121-does-your-truck-shake-like-2017-titan.html
Some guys that aren't worried about the vibration might not keep visiting that thread. And the question could get lost in the discussion. Besides there are already two big discussion threads and not one. I'd just like to gain a bigger audience to get a better polling of which trucks do it. I'm thinking it's affecting the trucks with softer springs and/or softer shocks

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, in earlier models before the 17 and 18, there was a TSB where vibrations were an issue with the leaf springs. there was a SHIM of varying sizes that were placed on the bottom rear ends of the leaf springs....

i've driven some Fords that had awful wheel hop causing shaking/vibrations due to the leaf springs. Ford will just tell you its the "harmonics" of a truck suspension.

Some guys that aren't worried about the vibration might not keep visiting that thread. And the question could get lost in the discussion. Besides there are already two big discussion threads and not one. I'd just like to gain a bigger audience to get a better polling of which trucks do it. I'm thinking it's affecting the trucks with softer springs and/or softer shocks

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Well, in earlier models before the 17 and 18, there was a TSB where vibrations were an issue with the leaf springs. there was a SHIM of varying sizes that were placed on the bottom rear ends of the leaf springs....

i've driven some Fords that had awful wheel hop causing shaking/vibrations due to the leaf springs. Ford will just tell you its the "harmonics" of a truck suspension.
Interesting you mentioned that, I saw a video on you tube and the dealer told the ford owner who basically had the “death wobble” that the truck wasn’t supposed to be driven over I think 65 miles per hour. Get a load of that crap, lol.

Clint

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some other trucks that were mentioned in the other threads that have vibration:

User: tinymonster
Non-XD
SV
4x4

User: tinymonster's friend
Non-XD
SL
2wd

User: greg4titan
Non-XD
SV
2wd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Non-XD
Platinum Reserve
2wd
20" wheels

Nissan is trying to tell me the 20" wheels are the cause and its within specs, wondering if the others are different sizes

I also have Goodyear Wrangler Tires

·
Registered
252 Posts
Most every one of the Titan's 20's are the Goodyear Wrangler (which really aren't the best tires in the market anyway).

Non-XD
Platinum Reserve
2wd
20" wheels

Nissan is trying to tell me the 20" wheels are the cause and its within specs, wondering if the others are different sizes

I also have Goodyear Wrangler Tires

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
On my 08 Titan the dealer ended up "Clocking" my rear driveshaft & that solved my vibration. That was after they threw $7k worth of parts on a truck that had 1200 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
What's involved in "clocking" your rear driveshaft?

On my 08 Titan the dealer ended up "Clocking" my rear driveshaft & that solved my vibration. That was after they threw $7k worth of parts on a truck that had 1200 miles on it.
Unbolting the driveshaft from the Axle & rotating it then bolting it back up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok guys, spent some time getting all the part numbers for the springs, shocks, and driveshafts for all models of non-XD Titans. A couple interesting things I've found:

• They just revised the rear leaf springs on Aug 1st for almost all trims
  • All trucks use the same rear driveshaft
  • I couldn't find Part Numbers for the rear shocks for the King and Single cabs
I'd like to start populating this by counting how many instances each version is experiencing the vibration. Maybe that'll help point to a particular part.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Non-XD
Platinum
4wd
crew cab

Had the dealer balance and rotate the tires, which helped, but still there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank Hatchman. I'm strongly suspecting firmer rear shocks would solve the problem. Seems like all the affected trucks have the 31B shocks except for Hatchman's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank Hatchman. I'm strongly suspecting firmer rear shocks would solve the problem. Seems like all the affected trucks have the 31B shocks except for Hatchman's.
Mine did it from day one.

Tires rebalanced, still did it.
Tires replaced...Michelins installed, still did it.
Method Roost wheels installed (with custom, exact fit hub centric hub rings, still did it).
All four Michelins replaced (Method Roost wheels), still does it.

Three sets of tires, two sets of wheels @ 6000 miles to-date.

It’s a rear drivetrain issue...not a wheel/tire issue. Most likely a driveshaft geometry issue that manifests itself due to the particular harmonics generated between 62 and 70.

There has to be more Titans with this problem than the small number reported to-date.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts