Nissan Titan Forum banner
301 - 320 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I read this long post, it seems many will never see a fix. I bought my titan 2017 SL 4x4 new, and on my drive home that night I noticed the shimmy/shake on the interstate once getting up to speed ( I did my test drive, not on the interstate, lesson learned). Now three years later with 48k miles and a different set of tires on my trunk that didn't correct the issue, I've just learned to live with it. I just now found this issue on this forum after my son-in-law that just bought a 2018 XD last year was complaining about a vibration that won't go away after having the dealer put new tires on his and doing an alignment as well.
I'm a life long Nissan owner, this being my 12th Nissan, I can say I love the look of the trunk and minus the vibration I still like the trunk. I've had the rack-in-pinion replaced, that started leaking at 4K, had a driver blend door replaced at 20K. It seems all car manufactures have issues, I just hope the aftermarket or someone figures out the true problem.
My favorite of all the Nissans I've owned was my 2003 SE V6 Altima, this was before the CVT and that car was fast. My father-in-law owns this car now and it is still on the road and never had a major issue.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Have they put it on a lift with wheels off and in drive to see if the flange is off center as it spins? I’ve seen videos of trucks doing that and only new axles can solve the situation.

Clint

Reactions: Fordhearter

·
Registered
2020 Pro-4x
8 Posts
I waited a few weeks to post to make sure I had thoroughly worked things out. So the update on my issue is that two tires were unable to be road force balanced. The dealership eventually replaced those two tires. As soon as I drove it, on the highway, I noticed it vibrating again. I brought it in again, they checked and said everything was okay and gave me some snarky response like "That's how a Pro-4x rides." Attitude not appreciated, but whatever.

I started paying more attention to when the truck would vibrate. As it turns out, it was always during specific sections of the interstate--including the on-ramp section right by the dealership and a couple miles down--the section I always did my after-service test drive. I tried driving those sections with my other two cars and although it wasn't as pronounced, you can definitely tell there was a very, very slight vibration in the same sections.

After a few thousand miles doing a couple hunting trips, I can say with a high degree of certainty that I was both wrong and right. The two tires did need to be replaced AND the suspension on the Pro-4x are just harsher. You're going to feel slight undulations on imperfect roads. I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much figure when the vehicle will vibrate by looking at the road. However, on smooth sections of the road, there's no vibration regardless of the speed I'm driving.

I appreciate the Pro-4x suspension--especially after the terrain I've been putting it through these last few weeks--but I'm guessing that a PR/SL/SV would absorb these sections of the road much better.

For me, for now, this issue has been resolved and I'm continuing to enjoy the truck as is.

2020 Pro-4x with 2800 miles on it. I've had it since 15 miles. The vibration started occurring sporadically about 100 miles ago. Always between 60-70 MPH. You can smooth it out if you decelerate or accelerate out of that range. Sometimes it's bad enough where your voice will make a vibrato. Other times, it's barely there. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. Will updates as I find out.

·
Premium Member
21,888 Posts
I waited a few weeks to post to make sure I had thoroughly worked things out. So the update on my issue is that two tires were unable to be road force balanced. The dealership eventually replaced those two tires. As soon as I drove it, on the highway, I noticed it vibrating again. I brought it in again, they checked and said everything was okay and gave me some snarky response like "That's how a Pro-4x rides." Attitude not appreciated, but whatever.

I started paying more attention to when the truck would vibrate. As it turns out, it was always during specific sections of the interstate--including the on-ramp section right by the dealership and a couple miles down--the section I always did my after-service test drive. I tried driving those sections with my other two cars and although it wasn't as pronounced, you can definitely tell there was a very, very slight vibration in the same sections.

After a few thousand miles doing a couple hunting trips, I can say with a high degree of certainty that I was both wrong and right. The two tires did need to be replaced AND the suspension on the Pro-4x are just harsher. You're going to feel slight undulations on imperfect roads. I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much figure when the vehicle will vibrate by looking at the road. However, on smooth sections of the road, there's no vibration regardless of the speed I'm driving.

I appreciate the Pro-4x suspension--especially after the terrain I've been putting it through these last few weeks--but I'm guessing that a PR/SL/SV would absorb these sections of the road much better.

For me, for now, this issue has been resolved and I'm continuing to enjoy the truck as is.
When I switched between shocks on my Titan I could tell the difference. Specific road sections were jittery with the OEM shocks, but smoother with the aftermarket shocks.

Reactions: Titan332009

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think Nissan felt the CV style joint would compensate for miss alignment issues. But it obviously isn't on every truck.
Hi. This is what I received back from an NVH test kit I purchased.

Hi Scott,

This makes sense to me now. Your final drive axle gear ratio is 2.937:1 (almost exactly 3:1). The app is detecting what it thinks is a T2 second order tire speed related vibration; however, since the axle gear ratio is almost exactly 3:1, the app is being tricked into thinking it is a second order tire speed related vibration when in fact it is a D2 second order driveshaft speed related vibration. Improper u-joint working angles create two shakes per revolution of the driveshaft (the exact same frequency of a T2 second order tire speed related vibration).

Yes, shimming the axle or transmission to correct the unequal u-joint working angles should fix the problem. Replacing u-joints with CV joints may not fix the problem since CV joints only operate at a constant velocity when their working angle is less than 50% of its full range of motion.

I think you have found the issue with your truck.

Best wishes,

John D. Kelly - M.Ed., B.S. EET.
President - Vibrate Software, Inc.
1646 West 250 North
Layton, Utah 84041 U.S.A.
Work 1-801-784-0397
[email protected] | www.vibratesoftware.com

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
4,344 Posts
How do we have improper drive shaft angle

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
That’s some interesting app.

Clint

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 Platinum Reserve with, 27K. I’ve only had it one day and today when I reached about 70 mph, I noticed the truck vibrating badly. I’m so disappointed that I don’t want to drive this truck again! It’s a beautiful truck but I haven’t seen any real fixes to the vibration problems that I just realized existed today. I bought the car this past Wednesday, noticed the vibrations on Thursday and I plan on taking it back to the dealership today, Friday. Are there any real fixes yet? This seems like a habitual problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That’s some interesting app.

Clint
This is what I received back from Nissan.

Date: November 25, 2020 at 5:36:18 PM EST
To: Scott Thompson <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: 1N6AA1E53JN521601-Nissan 2018 4X4

external email

Hello Mr. Thompson,

We hope that you are well.

We attempted to contact you today to the following number 416-427-3198 but we were unable to reach you.

The reason for our call is to do provide you with an outcome regarding your case.

We have reviewed your situation thoroughly and engaged our Quality Assurance Technicians to review your concerns. We appreciate your patience during this process.

Our technical and engineering teams have informed us that no faults were found in your vehicle and that is functioning as per manufacturing standards. We understand that the vibration concern has been an inconvenience for you.

Please note that Nissan Canada cannot comment further regarding this particular concern nor take actions regarding this issue.

We thank you again for bringing this to our attention and for allowing us to respond accordingly.

Regards,
Nicole.

Hi John

I just wanted to update you on what has happened since this first e-mail. Nicole did call me and set up a conversation with Jamie and Ron at Plaza Nissan. Jamie called because the test that was recommended was a Road Force balance. Jamie knew I had had this done before, actually 6 or 7 times. Burlington Nissan had sent the truck to Beverly tire to have a road force balance done which failed. (Original tires are slightly out of round.) I did tell Beverly Tire that I drive 99.5% Hwy or City roads and they still recommended Good Year off road tires for an additional $800.00, which I declined. Apparently Burlington Nissan has a road force balancer as well, so why they never told me that, I’m not certain. At this point Nissan Canada stated in an e-mail that they were simply no longer able to help with the issue. Jamie at Plaza Nissan advised that I take the truck to Beech Automotive who has a Road Force balancer. I had them do a test on the original Good Years which did not test well, so I then purchased the top of the line Michelin tires and had them Road Force balance which turned out much better. (Proves that the tires are not the issue.) Jamie at Plaza mentioned some time ago he was told to bring in a vibration testing unit from GM. He actually had it at his shop and was not allowed to perform the test. At this point, I’m once again no further ahead than when I originally purchased the truck. It would be nice if someone would actually look at the e-mail below and look at something other than a Road Force balance and an anti vibration passenger chair.

I should also mention that a gentleman from Nissan Canada did come to look at the truck at Burlington Nissan. (Chris Juneau I believe.) I sat in the waiting room for perhaps 30 minutes and then we took another truck for a test drive that also had a vibration. Better than mine, but still there. We then took my truck out and the conversation basically went as follows: Chris started off saying he didn’t feel the vibration to “It’s not that bad” to perhaps the Engineering group at Nissan designed the vibration in to the truck. As someone who has worked with major engineering firms designing rotating equipment packages, I have yet to meet an Engineer anywhere in the World that would design vibration in to a system.

Anyway, that’s where it’s at so far.

Sincerely,

Scott Thompson

416 427 3198

Sent: November 6, 2020 9:25 AM
To: '[email protected]' <[email protected]>
Subject: FW: Nissan Titan

Hi John

I wanted to send this to you even though I strongly suspect that Nissan already is fully aware of this problem. It is truly disheartening to see the lengths that Nissan has gone to, to simply ignore clients who have spent good money on a vehicle that they really thought would be a great truck. I had 3, F-150’s before this and never had an issue, but thought I would try the Titan because everyone I know that had a Nissan in the past really liked them. I guess quality has been ignored over the past few years. This wouldn’t even be that big of a deal if Nissan would simply help their clients, but I guess your upper management simply don’t care. It’s massively disappointing that we have to go out and find what the issue is with your trucks when I’m positive Nissan is well aware of what the issue is and simply doesn’t want to spend the money to help.

Sincerely,

Scott Thompson

Cc: Vibrate Software, Inc. <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Nissan Titan

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Sorry about your bad luck.. I will say that every make has vibration threads and hell GM was on national news for the “Chevy Shake” issues..

I test drove a Titan that had a strange vibration then promptly took it back and asked to drive another... which rolled perfectly smooth...

If all the engineers at GM cant figure it out for trucks they been making for 100 years then the Nissan guys don't have a chance...

I hope anyone reading this will test drive any vehicle they intend on purchasing at hwy speeds before they buy.. If it vibrates... RUN.....

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
This is what I received back from Nissan.

Date: November 25, 2020 at 5:36:18 PM EST
To: Scott Thompson <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: 1N6AA1E53JN521601-Nissan 2018 4X4

external email

Hello Mr. Thompson,

We hope that you are well.

We attempted to contact you today to the following number 416-427-3198 but we were unable to reach you.

The reason for our call is to do provide you with an outcome regarding your case.

We have reviewed your situation thoroughly and engaged our Quality Assurance Technicians to review your concerns. We appreciate your patience during this process.

Our technical and engineering teams have informed us that no faults were found in your vehicle and that is functioning as per manufacturing standards. We understand that the vibration concern has been an inconvenience for you.

Please note that Nissan Canada cannot comment further regarding this particular concern nor take actions regarding this issue.

We thank you again for bringing this to our attention and for allowing us to respond accordingly.

Regards,
Nicole.

Hi John

I just wanted to update you on what has happened since this first e-mail. Nicole did call me and set up a conversation with Jamie and Ron at Plaza Nissan. Jamie called because the test that was recommended was a Road Force balance. Jamie knew I had had this done before, actually 6 or 7 times. Burlington Nissan had sent the truck to Beverly tire to have a road force balance done which failed. (Original tires are slightly out of round.) I did tell Beverly Tire that I drive 99.5% Hwy or City roads and they still recommended Good Year off road tires for an additional $800.00, which I declined. Apparently Burlington Nissan has a road force balancer as well, so why they never told me that, I’m not certain. At this point Nissan Canada stated in an e-mail that they were simply no longer able to help with the issue. Jamie at Plaza Nissan advised that I take the truck to Beech Automotive who has a Road Force balancer. I had them do a test on the original Good Years which did not test well, so I then purchased the top of the line Michelin tires and had them Road Force balance which turned out much better. (Proves that the tires are not the issue.) Jamie at Plaza mentioned some time ago he was told to bring in a vibration testing unit from GM. He actually had it at his shop and was not allowed to perform the test. At this point, I’m once again no further ahead than when I originally purchased the truck. It would be nice if someone would actually look at the e-mail below and look at something other than a Road Force balance and an anti vibration passenger chair.

I should also mention that a gentleman from Nissan Canada did come to look at the truck at Burlington Nissan. (Chris Juneau I believe.) I sat in the waiting room for perhaps 30 minutes and then we took another truck for a test drive that also had a vibration. Better than mine, but still there. We then took my truck out and the conversation basically went as follows: Chris started off saying he didn’t feel the vibration to “It’s not that bad” to perhaps the Engineering group at Nissan designed the vibration in to the truck. As someone who has worked with major engineering firms designing rotating equipment packages, I have yet to meet an Engineer anywhere in the World that would design vibration in to a system.

Anyway, that’s where it’s at so far.

Sincerely,

Scott Thompson

416 427 3198

Sent: November 6, 2020 9:25 AM
To: '[email protected]' <[email protected]>
Subject: FW: Nissan Titan

Hi John

I wanted to send this to you even though I strongly suspect that Nissan already is fully aware of this problem. It is truly disheartening to see the lengths that Nissan has gone to, to simply ignore clients who have spent good money on a vehicle that they really thought would be a great truck. I had 3, F-150’s before this and never had an issue, but thought I would try the Titan because everyone I know that had a Nissan in the past really liked them. I guess quality has been ignored over the past few years. This wouldn’t even be that big of a deal if Nissan would simply help their clients, but I guess your upper management simply don’t care. It’s massively disappointing that we have to go out and find what the issue is with your trucks when I’m positive Nissan is well aware of what the issue is and simply doesn’t want to spend the money to help.

Sincerely,

Scott Thompson

Cc: Vibrate Software, Inc. <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Nissan Titan
Im not too keen on Canadian law but find a shop to diagnose and fix the driveline vibration then stick Nissan with the bill...... with the courts help should they resist.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 2019 SV and it has the nissan shake. really sucks, cause that is all i think about when i drive. Love the truck otherwise. I stumbled across this product, wondering if it would help. DRIVESHAFTS

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would like to learn more about that software app. I’m wondering how it gets it’s data. I’m wondering if the key to solving this lies there. Anyone have a link?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please list the following things if your truck vibrates...

Year
Non-XD or XD
Trim Level (S, SV, SL, Pro4X, Platinum)
2wd or 4wd
Single cab, extended cab, or crew cab
Please list the following things if your truck vibrates...

Year
Non-XD or XD
Trim Level (S, SV, SL, Pro4X, Platinum)
2wd or 4wd
Single cab, extended cab, or crew cab
2021 SV 4x4
Been a dealership 5 times
Nissan is saying it's normal. Shakes like tires are out of balance but they have rotated and balanced still doing it
Please help

·
Registered
7 Posts
2021 SV 4x4
Been a dealership 5 times
Nissan is saying it's normal. Shakes like tires are out of balance but they have rotated and balanced still doing it
Please help
So I have a 2020 SV which I experienced the same issue. Road force balanced tires and still vibrated. It actually took about 3k miles before it smoothed out and went away. I ran the tires at 39-41 pounds and drive it. Finally smoothed out abs drives great. Just got back from a 1200 mile trip and ran smooth all the way. I was very frustrated and the truck was the worst test drive I have ever had due to vibration. I figured it was flat spotted tires. Whatever it was seemed to be tire related, but the truck was not that old and should not have flat spotted. Either way it worked itself out. I was told this would happen and was skeptical, but it did. Good luck, hope the same happens for you!

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I'm very sorry for all of you that have this problem, my 2018 Titan Pro4X didn't have this issue. A lot of us thought that the redesign of the drivetrain "driveshaft" in 2020 models would address the issue? I guess it didn't? I'm also curious to why it's not every truck, matter fact very few if you consider how many +2016 Titans have been produced. SThompson we all know it's not designed to do it, anybody that told you that at a dealer or from NissanUSA should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine has it. But it’s almost like it pulses. I just assumed it was the garbage wranglers they threw on it. It doesn’t bother me as much as the dash/windshield noises.

Non-XD
SV
4x4
20” rims w/ wrangler sra tires

301 - 320 of 339 Posts