Nissan Titan Forum banner
321 - 339 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 Crew Cab 4x4 SV. Has brand new tires Falken Wildpeak's, Vibration starts at 60 continues to 75-80. Doesn't do it all the time even on the same roads. 37,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2017 Crew Cab 4x4 SV. Has brand new tires Falken Wildpeak's, Vibration starts at 60 continues to 75-80. Doesn't do it all the time even on the same roads. 37,000 miles.
This makes sense to me now. Your final drive axle gear ratio is 2.937:1 (almost exactly 3:1). The app is detecting what it thinks is a T2 second order tire speed related vibration; however, since the axle gear ratio is almost exactly 3:1, the app is being tricked into thinking it is a second order tire speed related vibration when in fact it is a D2 second order driveshaft speed related vibration. Improper u-joint working angles create two shakes per revolution of the driveshaft (the exact same frequency of a T2 second order tire speed related vibration).

Yes, shimming the axle or transmission to correct the unequal u-joint working angles should fix the problem. Replacing u-joints with CV joints may not fix the problem since CV joints only operate at a constant velocity when their working angle is less than 50% of its full range of motion.

I think you have found the issue with your truck.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
13 Posts
2021 SV 4x4
Been a dealership 5 times
Nissan is saying it's normal. Shakes like tires are out of balance but they have rotated and balanced still doing it
Please help
This makes sense to me now. Your final drive axle gear ratio is 2.937:1 (almost exactly 3:1). The app is detecting what it thinks is a T2 second order tire speed related vibration; however, since the axle gear ratio is almost exactly 3:1, the app is being tricked into thinking it is a second order tire speed related vibration when in fact it is a D2 second order driveshaft speed related vibration. Improper u-joint working angles create two shakes per revolution of the driveshaft (the exact same frequency of a T2 second order tire speed related vibration).

Yes, shimming the axle or transmission to correct the unequal u-joint working angles should fix the problem. Replacing u-joints with CV joints may not fix the problem since CV joints only operate at a constant velocity when their working angle is less than 50% of its full range of motion.

I think you have found the issue with your truck.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
2 Posts
non-XD
SV Midnight
4x4
20" wheels

Bought this truck used a few weeks ago with 20k miles on it.......it was a lease vehicle. I got it up to 75mph on the highway during a test drive and don't recall it vibrating/shaking. The original Goodyear Wranglers on the truck were in such poor condition that the dealer agreed to replace them with new Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure (w/Kevlar). I closed the deal and left the truck there, waiting for the new tires to be installed.

Well, it took a week to get the tires in and I live 1.5 hours from the dealer, so they delivered it to me. I never noticed the vibration driving around the local roads at 50mph (although the ride felt a little rough), but it definitely shakes at 65-70mph on the highway....sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's much more noticeable. I thought for sure maybe it was just a bad balance in the rear tires (the steering wheel doesn't shake, it's more noticeable in the seats/center console), so I brought it to a local place to get a $50 balance since I live so far from the dealer. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem and the truck still vibrates.....it actually drives worse at higher speeds (>65) than the 2001 Pathfinder (200k miles) that I just got rid of.

I Googled the problem and found this forum. Looks like I'm taking the day off work and bringing it back to the dealer this Friday and need to insist that they perform a road force balance test. Dang, I'm so disappointed to see that this is a possible on-going issue with Titans. Should've done my homework a little more thoroughly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
2018 Titan S
4x4
stock tires

vibration around 70-73mph. Way smoother at 80+
I’m guessing it’s the tires. These ones are old and worn out.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
non-XD
SV Midnight
4x4
20" wheels

Bought this truck used a few weeks ago with 20k miles on it.......it was a lease vehicle. I got it up to 75mph on the highway during a test drive and don't recall it vibrating/shaking. The original Goodyear Wranglers on the truck were in such poor condition that the dealer agreed to replace them with new Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure (w/Kevlar). I closed the deal and left the truck there, waiting for the new tires to be installed.

Well, it took a week to get the tires in and I live 1.5 hours from the dealer, so they delivered it to me. I never noticed the vibration driving around the local roads at 50mph (although the ride felt a little rough), but it definitely shakes at 65-70mph on the highway....sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's much more noticeable. I thought for sure maybe it was just a bad balance in the rear tires (the steering wheel doesn't shake, it's more noticeable in the seats/center console), so I brought it to a local place to get a $50 balance since I live so far from the dealer. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem and the truck still vibrates.....it actually drives worse at higher speeds (>65) than the 2001 Pathfinder (200k miles) that I just got rid of.

I Googled the problem and found this forum. Looks like I'm taking the day off work and bringing it back to the dealer this Friday and need to insist that they perform a road force balance test. Dang, I'm so disappointed to see that this is a possible on-going issue with Titans. Should've done my homework a little more thoroughly.
Most dealerships don’t own a road force balancer nor do some tire shops. If they don’t have one it’s a waste of time.

Clint

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most dealerships don’t own a road force balancer nor do some tire shops. If they don’t have one it’s a waste of time.

Clint
I brought it in and the dealer indicated that the front struts were bad, so they replaced those, road force balanced the wheels, gave it an alignment and I had them rotate the tires. I figured if I rotated the tires and it still shook from the back/underneath (not thru the steering wheel), I could rule out a tire/wheel issue. Well, the more noticeable vibration I was feeling at 65-75 mph from the back is better than before, but there's still an underlying vibration through the seat.....and I can generally feel it at speeds over 40 mph. I believe the bad struts just exacerbated the vibration at speeds of 65-75. At this point, given the road force wheel balance and the fact that it still vibrates from the back and not thru the steering wheel after a tire/wheel rotate , I feel that I can rule them out. I thought that the dealer was going to replace the rear shocks at the same time, but apparently they have to order those, so it looks like another trip back.

I honestly feel like the vibration is stemming from a driveline issue (I've thought this all along), so I'm going to request a diagnosis of that when I bring it in for rear shocks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please list the following things if your truck vibrates...

Year
Non-XD or XD
Trim Level (S, SV, SL, Pro4X, Platinum)
2wd or 4wd
Single cab, extended cab, or crew cab
non-XD
SV
4wd
King Cab
It is a smooth ride until I reach 60-75 mph. I’ve balanced and rotated my tires plus an alignment but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please list the following things if your truck vibrates...

Year
Non-XD or XD
Trim Level (S, SV, SL, Pro4X, Platinum)
2wd or 4wd
Single cab, extended cab, or crew cab
Anyone have any updates on this.
2017 Crew Cab S Gas engine. 29k miles. Every dealer in my area and Nissan corporate refuse to do anything about this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2020 Pro-4X
6,300 miles
Vibration between 65-70

I’ve had this truck for over a year and don’t drive very often. My initial thought is that the vibration could be coming from long periods of not driving. I did have my tires balanced at 4,800 miles but have only recently noticed the vibration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Crew Cab
SV Midnight 36000 miles.
I bought the truck in fall of 2019 with 10000 miles on it. It was a corporate lease truck that came from Orlando. Like a fool I didn't get it on the highway when I test drove it. First time on the highway I noticed the vibration. Brought it to a local Nissan dealership, not the one I bought it from, they say it's the tires. One of them won't balance which doesn't surprise me because they are goodyear SRA's. Bought new tires Cooper ATP 2's. Same problem nothings changed. It's at Nissan right now and I have a 2021 loaner S titan that is smooth as silk all the way to 85 mph. I've noticed a similar pattern here in many of the comments that Nissan just says it's working normally. It also has a shorting reverse light cable somewhere as the fuse keeps popping.

I did some testing on the highway recently and noticed if you pin the cruise control at the speed it vibrates the most and drive for a bit the vibration comes and go's. Also when you shift down with the manual mode it vibrates less with each down shift as the RPM's go up. Tires wouldn't do this. It has to be a driveline issue.

It's too bad because I really like the truck but it's too new for problems like this. I've been a loyal customer of Nissan since 1996 and never had any major issues like this. I guess this is why they're failing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
How many of you with vibration had goodyear wrangler tires?
every ram (goodyear wrangler SR-A) I test drove did the shimmy at 50-60 mph.

Bought an XD with General Tires, no shimmy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This happens to me once I put aftermarket wheels on. new rims and the tires are VenomPower X/T. Vibrates around that speed and it did not vibrate when I had the stock wheels with the General Grabber's. I havew had the wheels balanced two times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2018 cc 4x4 here. Just took it on a road trip a few hours away and while no vibration while driving at interstate speeds, it does shake (steering wheel as well) while braking at higher speeds. Anyone else have that? Also, there is one piece of interstate around here that the truck does vibrate like crazy around 65 mph but it's only one section of interstate.

·
Registered
337 Posts
2018 cc 4x4 here. Just took it on a road trip a few hours away and while no vibration while driving at interstate speeds, it does shake (steering wheel as well) while braking at higher speeds. Anyone else have that? Also, there is one piece of interstate around here that the truck does vibrate like crazy around 65 mph but it's only one section of interstate.
If the roads are crap, you will experience it in your seat and in the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
I have one piece of interstate 80 in New Jersey that makes my truck shake and nowhere else, the roads looks perfect there but it occurs in my truck and my Challenger. Someone else would say it’s the vehicle but it’s not. Some may be experiencing a defect in the pavement and assign it to what they are driving. My father had an issue years ago and it was an out of round drive shaft, if only we still had real mechanics with critical skills to deduce problems. His dealership had that one guy who could always figure out a deep problem. Any of you have the shop send the shaft out to be rebalanced or at least checked for an issue?

Clint

321 - 339 of 339 Posts