Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a 2004 Nissan Titan and am in need of a second ignition key. As the OEM kids has a large plastic head I am curious to know if there is a chip inside?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Bought my extra one on eBay. A local locksmith programmed it/them. Make sure you get them all programmed together.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
If you dont em all programmer together, the one that wasnt there wont work anymore.
I have absolutely no idea what you just said :huh:

Reactions: vilim12

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what you just said :huh:
In essence, my locksmith gave the Titan a new code that worked with the newly programmed chips on the keys. The truck ignition and the keys are programmed together. If you leave one, older key out of the process, it does not have the new code. Two original keys are programmed with an 'A'. Titan is programmed with an 'A'. You buy a new key and take one of your old keys - with the Titan - to the locksmith. Locksmith programs Titan with code 'D'. Programs old key and new key with code 'D'. Remaining key, which is in your wife's purse, still has code 'A'. You bring Titan home. Your 'D' keys work. Your wife's 'A' key does not work. Next time you bring all three keys and the Titan to the locksmith. This time he programs the Titan with an 'F'. He programs the three keys with an 'F'. He pockets the extra $50 and everyone is happy. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
In essence, my locksmith gave the Titan a new code that worked with the newly programmed chips on the keys. The truck ignition and the keys are programmed together. If you leave one, older key out of the process, it does not have the new code. Two original keys are programmed with an 'A'. Titan is programmed with an 'A'. You buy a new key and take one of your old keys - with the Titan - to the locksmith. Locksmith programs Titan with code 'D'. Programs old key and new key with code 'D'. Remaining key, which is in your wife's purse, still has code 'A'. You bring Titan home. Your 'D' keys work. Your wife's 'A' key does not work. Next time you bring all three keys and the Titan to the locksmith. This time he programs the Titan with an 'F'. He programs the three keys with an 'F'. He pockets the extra $50 and everyone is happy. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.
No he understands that part, he was referring to my post before I edited it. I completely messed up my sentence lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey Jim,

Seeing as your name starts with Utah, I would imagine that I am possibly one of your local "Smithy's." We can do them, and you don't have to wait for the key blank to show up from the online store, and then wonder if you got the right chip in the key for your truck. I work at Glens in Salt Lake, and we can have you in and out in about 10 minutes. Bring any and all keys you have, as they all get deleted in the programming process. Take care, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
258 Posts
go make a quick less than $5 dollar duplicate just to see if it will work. If not you'll have an extra valet key, but if its not chipped, then you saved yourself a lot of cash. My key didnt have a chip, but i have an XE.. good luck.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I picked up one of those ebay flip open keys/remote with the chip inside and had a local guy cut and program it for $45. Stealership wanted $95 :bangit:
Its been working great, pretty solid. Although not quite as solid as the original VW ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts