Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a couple years since I left the Titan community. Wife, pregnant, totaled the Titan. Bought a smaller truck (Frontier) then found out we were having twins. Now two years later I've sold the Frontier and got my Titan again. Did I miss this truck! Ok, on with the questions. I'd been using Elemental Designs in the previous Titan and the Frontier. I really enjoyed the solid nature of the build. The day before the Frontier sold, the NINe.4 went into protect mode. So after reading a gazillion threads, it seems the community at large doesn't think to highly of ED equipment.

Now I enjoy a good sounding system, but I don't want to give up the integration the stock HU supplies. Does anyone have experience with the AudioControl DQL-8? It sounds like an ideal solution to keeping the HU, fixing the factory EQ, and adding better speakers / subs. Alternatively I was thinking about an LC6i and EQS.

I know and agree the JL is some of the best quality amps out there. They are also among the more expensive. Any opinions on Kicker? Specifically ZX750.1 and ZX650.4.

Door speakers? I was torn between Infinity Kappa (or Kappa Perfect) and Diamond Audio. What I was thinking is Kappa or D6 in the rear and the Perfects or Hex in the front.

I am always budget minded and with two young girls in the house it's very appropriate. I am figuring it'll take the better part of the year to gather my parts together. To that end I would like to keep the amp budget under $450 for two. Speakers should stay below $300 for two sets. I already have the subs (eD 11KV2) and the box, so that saves a few $$$.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions, pros and cons, options I've not stated or thought about, and little to no flaming. I feel like a nooob again.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Well I hate to disappoint you with such a useless reply, but welcome back fellow former Titan owner!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hey man, welcome back and congrats on the twins!

There is a ton of info on here about upgrading the factory system. If you must keep the factory HU there are a few options on what you can do.

The best thing to do it is talk to Tech12Volts. He is a site sponsor and will hook you up with everything that you need and he has great prices. He has done many systems for guys on here and always has satisfied customers.

Do you have the RF package in your truck?

So what I'd do since you are on a budget now. The best bang for the buck setup you could do is this.

REQ LOC- Only 3 ch's but use the 2 front for the comps, the 3rd for the subs and run your rear speakers off the factory power.

Sundown 100.4 These are GREAT amps, they really take a beating and put out some good clean power. They are also reasonably priced. (2front ch's for the comps and rear for the subs) Then when you save up some more money, buy a mono amp or a Sundown 100.2 and run the subs off that and the 4ch's for the comps in your truck. JL does make good amps but they are very overpriced. You can find deals online but they arent from authorized dealers. The Kicker amps are poor quality now, they were good back in the day but they got greedy.

As far as comps, James sells Boston stuff really cheap and its good quality. Personally I really dont like any of the Infinity stuff, I used it a long time ago, but the tweeters are too bright and the midbass is just OK. The Diamond stuff is alright, I use CDT for all my speakers. Since you are on a budget, spend some money on good comps for the front and replace the rear later on. Or spend 225 on the fronts and 75 on the rear.

Since you are all set with subs and a box that will save you some money.

Be sure to ask, there are a lot of helpful people on here!

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
t22a80 said:
Hey man, welcome back and congrats on the twins!

There is a ton of info on here about upgrading the factory system. If you must keep the factory HU there are a few options on what you can do.

The best thing to do it is talk to Tech12Volts. He is a site sponsor and will hook you up with everything that you need and he has great prices. He has done many systems for guys on here and always has satisfied customers.

Do you have the RF package in your truck?

So what I'd do since you are on a budget now. The best bang for the buck setup you could do is this.

REQ LOC- Only 3 ch's but use the 2 front for the comps, the 3rd for the subs and run your rear speakers off the factory power.

Sundown 100.4 These are GREAT amps, they really take a beating and put out some good clean power. They are also reasonably priced. (2front ch's for the comps and rear for the subs) Then when you save up some more money, buy a mono amp or a Sundown 100.2 and run the subs off that and the 4ch's for the comps in your truck. JL does make good amps but they are very overpriced. You can find deals online but they arent from authorized dealers. The Kicker amps are poor quality now, they were good back in the day but they got greedy.

As far as comps, James sells Boston stuff really cheap and its good quality. Personally I really dont like any of the Infinity stuff, I used it a long time ago, but the tweeters are too bright and the midbass is just OK. The Diamond stuff is alright, I use CDT for all my speakers. Since you are on a budget, spend some money on good comps for the front and replace the rear later on. Or spend 225 on the fronts and 75 on the rear.

Since you are all set with subs and a box that will save you some money.

Be sure to ask, there are a lot of helpful people on here!

T22 has hit on the head.go wwwtech12volts.com .SHould be able tofind everything you need.if not hit meupwith any question or if you need help

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the input. It's much appreciated. With respect to the LOC question, how advantageous is it to "flatten" the signal before it goes to the amps? Is an EQ a better option than just the flattening effect or perhaps in conjunction? And with that, would you tap into the signal before or after the stock amp? I've heard of people doing both, but I've not heard any real supporting opinion on why one versus the other.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Soonerdude said:
Thanks to all for the input. It's much appreciated. With respect to the LOC question, how advantageous is it to "flatten" the signal before it goes to the amps? Is an EQ a better option than just the flattening effect or perhaps in conjunction? And with that, would you tap into the signal before or after the stock amp? I've heard of people doing both, but I've not heard any real supporting opinion on why one versus the other.
After the amp is how the RE-q works due more output voltage that way. . Flat signal is best period. That the objest of audio in the first place to start out flat and then change it to your listening level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tech is going to give u best deal,but if OK has Ultimate Electronics they always have sales on Diamond. i got my Hex and D6 comp's for under $600

1 - 7 of 7 Posts