Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I want to go bigger/taller than the factory P265/70R18 tire. A guy at a tire shop just told me that to go to a 75/70R18, it would have to be an LT series. He then proceeded to tell me that the LT series tires are a 10-ply, as opposed to a 4-ply on the P series. He said that the LT tires have a very rough ride.

Is this true? I don't want tires that make me feel every single little bump in the road. But I'm also not satisfied with the factory P265/70R18 because I leveled it (1.5") a month ago and I want to go bigger.

Advice?

·
Super Moderator
159,825 Posts
It is rougher than a P rated tire, for sure. And it's heavier, so worse gas mileage and more unsprung weight. The OEM Crapyears, a P rated tire, are very squishy in the sidewall so I didn't mind going to an LT and having a little more feel for the road under me. Yes, I noticed it, but for me that wasn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is rougher than a P rated tire, for sure. And it's heavier, so worse gas mileage and more unsprung weight. The OEM Crapyears, a P rated tire, are very squishy in the sidewall so I didn't mind going to an LT and having a little more feel for the road under me. Yes, I noticed it, but for me that wasn't a bad thing.
Yeah, my factory Goodyear SR/A tires lasted all of about 30,000 miles, and they also get a terrible rating at tirerack.com.

So what are you guys running around here? LT's, I assume?

·
Super Moderator
159,825 Posts
I am because I used to tow a heavy travel trailer quite a bit. With the LTs, tire pressure for ride made a difference. If you aren't towing, you can keep them pretty far down in their range and have a much more comfortable ride. If you get it up at halfway or above, it's pretty brutal. A P-rated tire will handle any load you can put on it that's within the capacities of the truck, but I wanted that stiffer sidewall because of my towing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am because I used to tow a heavy travel trailer quite a bit. With the LTs, tire pressure for ride made a difference. If you aren't towing, you can keep them pretty far down in their range and have a much more comfortable ride. If you get it up at halfway or above, it's pretty brutal. A P-rated tire will handle any load you can put on it that's within the capacities of the truck, but I wanted that stiffer sidewall because of my towing.
Maybe the tire I need is a P275/70R18 then.

Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want a rough ride.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
You won't find the 275/70-18 in a p rated tire. Essentially if you veer away from the stock size into any larger sizes they jump up to an LT.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
159,825 Posts
There are a few out there, just not many.

The LT really isn't that bad if you keep it aired down.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
I got the LTX AT2s with the factory Junko shocks on and it is a much rougher ride than my '04 that had the same tires but had the Bilsteins.. I know what my next purchase will be.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
I run 40 psi in my tires.

·
Super Moderator
159,825 Posts
That's about where I am when I'm not towing. And I only air them to about 44 psi when towing. They just don't need much more than that on our trucks with it's capacities.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Lol its all good. Yes there are a couple out there but they are very hard to find. The ones you listed are the factory tires on the pro4X. I haven't seen many comments about them that aren't negative. haha

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate everyone's comments, but now I'm faced with an even bigger decision: do I go with the same P264/70R18's it came with from the factory, even though they now look small after leveling - or do I go with LT's and tolerate the rough ride?

I'm stumped.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Put my pro comp mts on for a week the the regular lts will seem like a better ride. There not that bad i have road noise but its not to rough, rides like a truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
My LT's ride a bit rougher than the stockers did, but after a week or so I didn't notice it anymore. They don't ride that much harsher than stock. So in my honest opinion just get the size you want and don't worry about the ride. :)

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
It's a touch stiffer, but that can be a good thing, especially when cornering at higher speeds and when you have a load on. I hated the SRA's, couldn't get rid of them fast enough, what would you rather have squishy and squirrly or firm and solid?? 275/70/18 is a nice size on a leveled truck.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Hell, I went from LT's to E rated Mud Grapplers, and I feel that they ride wayyyyy better. :dunno:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I went from stock to E rated terra grapplers lol. its a damn truck, its supposed to ride like a truck....:ftard:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts